#16 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 21 July 2004 - 11:01 PM

Its in a car port next to the workshop at the moment, but will probably be moving up the drive to the other car port once we get a roof on it. Because of the trailer i couldn't get the clubby close to the garage to do the work, so I ended up doing an engine change and rear subframe re build under a gazebo last week! Never again i tell thee!

#17 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 11:06 PM

At least a gasebo is interesting i supose :D Im quite glad i have a garage to use so i can hide away from the elements.

#18 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 12:20 AM

ok, i've decided to go a little crazy on the engine in the pick-up.

Its going to have a MED 1380 with a JK 5 speed straight cut gearbox, and a twin cam 16 valve head, with twin weber 45's i think, and all the necessary engine components to make the thing reliable and long lasting. Obviously i'm going to have to win the lottery before I get all this stuff, but i'm planning on that happening anyway so it'll be ok

#19 David_J

David_J

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 09:19 AM

Fantastic enthusiasm!
Don't let the rusty bits get you down during the long hours ahead!!
I hope it goes/is going well.
:grin:

#20 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 04:29 PM

thank you, i will keep you posted! weather is a bit pants really for doing much at the moment, but i hope to crack on once it dries up a bit!

#21 mr. mini man

mr. mini man

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 01:27 AM

any pretty pics? or some of rust like Pickup76's? lol

#22 Alex1380

Alex1380

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 01:52 AM

if you want to save abit of cash but not lose quolity on the engine, don't go to MED go to Morspeed, which is run by the guy who used to build the engines that gave MED the good name. Now he works for him self doing the same quality work but at 2 3rds the price. hes in the same neck of the woods.
www.morspeed.co.uk.
he did my 1380 and it mega, very smooth. he all so asembled it fully for me, so gear box and all drop gears, all for a very good price.
Alex.

#23 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 08:42 AM

I'll try to get a pic of it tonight, although it will only be from my phone as I haven't got a digital camera yet!

Thanks for that Alex, I had heard of Morspeed before, but wasn't sure on quality and reliability issues. Obviously MED is the buzzword for performance engines, but they are pretty expensive so any saving would be good!

I'll keep you posted!

Tom

#24 lewis

lewis

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,322 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey

Posted 18 August 2004 - 11:02 AM

good luck with this minis 84 im sure the end result will bring a smile to your face :grin:

#25 Alex1380

Alex1380

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 05:15 PM

if it helps i had my morspeed 1380 stage 3 to 90mph in 3rd last night, that was at 6500rpm on a mini gear box with metro turbo diff. so 120mph in 4th should b easy. and it takes the beating just sounding sweat all the way though the revs. Simon who now runs Morspeed was incarge of the work shop at MED for 11years so he was with them from the nere start and built the rep for them. so for the big plug but i've got to know him and top bloke, much nicer than the missable g** at MED. :cheese:

#26 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 05:45 PM

right, the first step in the pick-up project has started, i've acquired an engine for it. Its a standard 1275 from an 89 Metro, which is eventually going to be made into a decent fast road 1293cc engine. I've given up on the 1380 16V idea, too much money, and I want to be able to open the bonnet and it look like there's an 850 in there :grin:

#27 marksmini

marksmini

Mark - Founder of TMF since 2003 - Onwards

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,428 posts
  • Name: Mark

Posted 26 September 2004 - 06:59 PM

just out of intrest where do you do such projects?
in your garage at home?
because i would love to do this but....
no room to do it.

#28 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 07:12 PM

no its done outside, next to the house. I've done all the work on the clubby there, but have the use of the garage for rebuilding engines etc, but most of the work on the car itself is done outside there.

#29 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 07:59 PM

well, I think the pick-up project is being shelved for the time being, its going into next door's garage, well, it will be once we get the two alvis gearboxes, one scammell gearbox, a rolls royce eagle diesel engine, and three dilly's full of spares out, and make enough room to get the pick-up in. I want the carport next to the garage for the clubby this winter, so the pick-up's going to have to relinquish its warm spot for a while. Hopefully we are moving soon so we're going to have either a triple or a quadruple garage to keep everything in and still have room to work around it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users