Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:56 PM

Yes the pictures work and nice to see your wife with a big smile.

#77 Junior Mini

Junior Mini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 01:19 PM

Yep I can see them too. Your missus looks very happy with her little treat :D 

#78 Gillybobs

Gillybobs

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield Mini Club

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:22 PM

A little more progress! Got the engine removed this at the weekend. Borrowed an engine crane off of my father in law which he used on his mini in the 70s. The engine looks very grubby and it looks as though all of the core plugs have rotted through. Going to get the engine to my fathers house where he is going help me strip and rebuild the engine. Also removed the heater from inside the mini to find the matrix is totally blocked. Think I'm going to replace the matrix with a new one.

cjda7Od.jpg
6oJyzpX.jpg
YyicadG.jpg

Now the engine is out im also going to tidy the engine bay up and remove the front sub frame to paint and rebuild it.

I've also got sort this bracket out which has been snapped and welded back on.
8IDA5GW.jpg
I've also picked up a very good second hand wiring loom up so that will save me having to repair my old loom.

Hopefully another update soon.

Edited by Gillybobs, 28 February 2018 - 09:29 PM.

#79 Mini Basher

Mini Basher

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Foresters

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:31 PM

Just read this from the start, really nice project and excellent work. It's going to be a real nice car when it's done, keep up the good work

#80 Junior Mini

Junior Mini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 04:42 PM

You need one of these:-

http://www.somerford...products_id=634

#81 Gillybobs

Gillybobs

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:29 PM

And someone who can weld it in for me!

#82 Junior Mini

Junior Mini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 05:14 PM

That might help too :shy:

#83 hardtop

hardtop

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:59 PM

Since you have the engine out and the clutch and brake masters out, get a new bracket drill some holes and bolt in the new one ;)

#84 Gillybobs

Gillybobs

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:48 PM

Since you have the engine out and the clutch and brake masters out, get a new bracket drill some holes and bolt in the new one ;)

I did wonder about bolting it in. I've ordered a new bracket so that's on its way . Think I'll get the old one off and take it from there.

#85 Gillybobs

Gillybobs

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:34 PM

Got the engine moved up to my dad's house and he's made a start stripping the enigne. He's given the engine a good degrease and stripped the clutch and flywheel off of the engine. The clutch and flywheel look in remarkably good condition to say they've done 80 odd thousand miles.
uUXqseX.jpg
xt6gpjb.jpg

#86 Gillybobs

Gillybobs

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:17 PM

The engine had been separated from the gear box and stripped down. From the initial inspection it's looking in really good condition. Everything needs measuring properly but there seems to be very little wear in the engine. It's looking like the bores will need a hone as there is a very slight step at the top of the bores. The crank and main bearing appear to be measuring up perfectly. The cylinder head looks good but that has been taken down to my local engine sevice shop to have the valve seat very lightly cut and the edges of the valves reground. Hope some better pictures soon when we got through and inspect everything properly.

pKQ3pxC.jpg

lsOr61v.jpg

#87 Gillybobs

Gillybobs

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:47 PM

The cylinder head is back looks good. The guys at the engine shop commented on what nice condition head it is. My Dads now took the engine block down for honing to remove the slight lip at the top of the bores. My Dads been busy cleaning and prepping all tinwear and breathers of the engine to be painted I'll get some photos when at his house next.
Before he retired he worked for Coldwell engineering in sheffield that restored pre war Rolls Royces. It's was based on the same premises as the Coldwell engineering that built the twin can mini in the 60s.
Anyway I found this promotional display card in loft of My Dads house from when he worked at Coldwell.
ScEO89Z.jpg

Also I've been doing a bit under the bonnet of the mini. Been rubbing it all down trying to remove the rust. I've also cut the broken engine steady bulkhead bracket off.
Simon who did most of the body work on the car is going pop round at some point and weld me the new bracket on . Just seen Smiffys but do a heavier gauge bracket and wondering weather to fit one of them instead of the heritage one.
1fNcD0s.jpg
uxgQFpn.jpg
RcBAxPZ.jpg

Edited by Gillybobs, 17 April 2018 - 06:34 AM.

#88 Gillybobs

Gillybobs

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:06 PM

Grabbed a couple of hours this evening and got the front sub frame removed .
pGy4Okx.jpg
Found a nice piece of wood in a skip at work and I thought it was perfect for supporting the car under the floor pans.
67w9fHY.jpg

The engine block is back from being honed so my Dad will be starting to look at assembling it soon . I'll get some photos when I'm up the next.

#89 Gillybobs

Gillybobs

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:49 PM

Well the engine is coming along slowly . The engine and head have been painted red. The valves and seats have been ground and lapped and head rebuilt. The crank has been measured and just requires new shells.
2VKxqa4.jpg
vpQ80yq.jpg
QfTe9Gf.jpg
u8fRQRR.jpg

Interestingly the pistons are stamped with the number 21962 which denotes them as low compression pistons but they measure up as high compression pistons and use the the high compression type piston rings !
hQGpAVY.jpg
DJlKsSi.jpg

I did fancy trying to tune the engine slightly but I've decided to rebuild the engine to standard spec due the engine being in good condition and partly due to cost. I really just need a good reliable engine to get the car to some shows.

I'm also waiting for my mate to pop round and weld me the engine steady bracket on then I can get on and get the engine bay painted .
P8aQOnB.jpg
3Huu89j.jpg

#90 Gillybobs

Gillybobs

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:03 PM

A little more progress re ringed pistons fitted. Crank fitted with new shells and the cam timed up. The oil pump and water pump are now fitted but like a dope I forgot to get a bypass hose so that's stopping the head from being fitted! I

bLI9voi.jpg
ijVfjrD.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users