133 replies to this topic

#121 Inno

Inno

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 05:21 AM

Wow...just read it and you did amazing job ...guess years of patience paid off...enjoy your ride it us a beautiful Mini you shall be proud of!!

#122 Gillybobs

Gillybobs

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield Mini Club

Posted 09 April 2019 - 08:21 PM

Nearly there! Will post a better update later.
nK5ZVmZ.jpg
Tt3xMqg.jpg

#123 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 09:21 PM

Really nice job, well done.

#124 Gillybobs

Gillybobs

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 08:37 PM

A bit better update ! I had the wheels refurbed and new tyres fitted and got them fitted to the mini . Got the tracking sorted and spent a bit of time just checking over everything again . Everything was looking good so 2 weeks ago I booked it in for its first MOT in about 15 years !
G6vLR43.jpg

It's struggled a bit on the emissions but the MOT tester spent a bit of time adjusting the carb and the mini passed with no advisories ! The tester seemed particularly impressed with the brake lines under the bonnet .

So I taxed the Mini on the 1st of May and I took it for its first test drive last weekend .
mXnHMKd.jpg
I did a steady 30 odd miles in it and so far so good .
Took a plug out and the fuel mixture looks good .
I've no carpets or dash in the car yet as I wanted to run the car a little bit first . I was concerned the heater matrix may leak but it appears to ok .
Need to do a few more miles now and get a bit of confidence with it then hopefully get it to some shows !

#125 mini_in_progress

mini_in_progress

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 03:52 PM

Just read the whole thread and What a read, i cant wait to see it at some shows this year hopefully

#126 Gillybobs

Gillybobs

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:45 PM

Right time for an update of really whats happened the last couple of months and why I got the mini on the road.
In early March my wife Felicity was diagnosed with terminal cancer. The consultant at the hospital wanted to start chemo straight away and we hopeful they could get some control of the cancer and suppress it for a while. With two young children to look after as well as my wife there was no chance of me getting the car on the road. The mini was nearly there so my dad had it moved to his house to do a few little jobs to get it road worthy. Mean while Felicity had her first chemo but it made her ill and she ended up in hospital for a week . After that week had a small holiday at Butlins . The week after that she had her second chemo. This one made her even more ill and she ended up with pneumonia and ended up back in hospital . They seem to have sorted it and Felicity came home. The mini was back at my house.As it was getting towards the end of April and I wanted the car on the road in May I booked the mini in for a MOT. The night before I took the mini for MOT Felicity wasnt very well . Her mum arrived in the morning to babysit for me while I took the car for its mot . When I arrived home there was an ambulance on the drive . The pneumonia had come back and Felicity went back to hospital. Felicity would spend the next few weeks in hospital trying to stop the pneumonia. Then came the dreadful news that the cancer was too advanced and they could no longer treat it.
Felicity decided to move to St Luke's hospice in Sheffield for end of life care. What an amazing place they went out of there way to make Felicity's final days very special. They arranged a christening for our boys which was a very special day.
One little silly thing really that was bugging me was I had promised Felicity the first ride in the mini when it was done. The staff at the hospice said why dont you bring the mini and take her around the block then you will have kept your promise. So that's exactly what I did !
e0vb6Gf.jpg
1KxlEdT.jpg
ox4Whrb.jpg
e7VHeC3.jpg

Jk4rHw9.jpg

So happy to have been able to take her.
Unfortunately on Wed the 29th of May Felicity succumbed to the illness.
A devastating blow to our family .
Id like to thank all the amazing staff at St Luke's for the care Felicity revived

We set up a tribute fund for Felicity.

https://www.stlukest...icity-gilligan/

Edited by Gillybobs, 03 June 2019 - 09:46 PM.

#127 Gillybobs

Gillybobs

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:49 PM

https://www.instagra...id=peyo4jgfzg5h

#128 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:54 PM

Oh mate, I am so saddened to hear your devastating news.

I wish you the very best of luck with everything. I can't imagine what you must be going through.

Ben

#129 cp2708

cp2708

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 04 June 2019 - 06:47 AM

That's terrible news. Sorry for your loss. 

#130 Junior Mini

Junior Mini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:46 PM

So sorry for your loss but so pleased that you manged that first drive together.

#131 wingnut

wingnut

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 02:53 PM

So sorry for your loss.

#132 blueovalcraig

blueovalcraig

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 03:54 PM

So sorry to hear your sad sad news. Cancer is a complete bastard. I have lost so many friends and family because of it.

You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

#133 h9hpj

h9hpj

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 12:45 PM

Having just purchased an L reg Italian job mini which is a little rough and needs a bit of work, I typed in a search on the forum and came across your pages of photos and updates. What a great story of the rebuild and your mini is looking superb - well impressed. I was wondering if I had the time, skill and so on as to whether I could get my car looking half decent again without breaking the bank or making things worse when your story took a different path. My sincere condolences for the loss to you and your family. I truly wish you the very best of wishes for the future.

#134 Gillybobs

Gillybobs

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 10:10 PM

Just Realised its such a long time since i updated this! will post a propper update soon!

KJmRlba.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users