83 replies to this topic

#1 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:57 PM

My Mini was originally supplied by Trident Garages in Ottershaw, Surrey in 1979.

I was delighted to see it's still operating (unfortunately as a Honda dealer now), I was wondering if anyone else knew of their minis original dealer still operating?

Im tempted to send them an email and see if they have any old dealer stickers they could sell me. That would be a great bit of original authenticity!

#2 Kieranlee999

Kieranlee999

I am mainly being a nutter from MotorNutz.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts
  • Local Club: Robin Hood Mini Club,

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:14 PM

no but i would like to find out :) 

#3 firstforward

firstforward

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:18 PM

Mine is in Japan somewhere!

#4 MrElliott

MrElliott

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Local Club: Box Hill Mini Club

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:20 PM

I live near there and remember it being a rover garage!!! mine was from Kingsbury rover in Hampton.

#5 bluemini1979

bluemini1979

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Local Club: Colchester Mini Club

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:25 PM

cant remember where it was but ive got the original receipt from 79. was in London

#6 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:29 PM

Mine was registered new on Alderney but I cant find out if there was an Austin Rover dealership there in the 80s?

#7 Shep76S

Shep76S

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Local Club: L&SMOC

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:34 PM

My Mini was originally supplied by Trident Garages in Ottershaw, Surrey in 1979.
I was delighted to see it's still operating (unfortunately as a Honda dealer now), I was wondering if anyone else knew of their minis original dealer still operating?
Im tempted to send them an email and see if they have any old dealer stickers they could sell me. That would be a great bit of original authenticity!

When I got my old S from JC's it was a Honda dealer.

#8 leaky

leaky

Iv never hit a penguin in the face with a casserole

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,890 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:37 PM

Mine is an isle of wight car. No idea what the dealer ones but don't think there would have been very many. Always wanted to find out more history about it.

#9 Tanya

Tanya

Snuggle-Buddy

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:10 PM

We've had Henry, our RSP from new so obviously we know who and where his supplying dealership was :-).  We got him from Hartwells on the Watlington Road in Cowley, next to what is now MINI Plant Oxford.  Sadly, this now a Lidl and before that was Yes Car Credit :(.  We're Mr Bump's second owner and know he came from Kernahan in Witney and although Kernahan still exists and is now a Ford dealer, it is no longer on the site Mr Bump came from and I think this is now housing.  

We did spend our summer holiday in 2010 researching the background to Speedy, our 1960 Austin Se7en.  We'd got rid of the kids - I think they'd been bored rigid by our 'Mini research holiday'!  We spent an afternoon in Bradford library as Bradford was were she was originally registered.  To begin with the librarians thought our research was a bit odd, but as we were enthusiastic and quite determined, they to became enthusiastic and we had two or three librarians helping us with our research. 

Sadly, the whole area had been completely redeveloped since the 1960s but the librarians worked out roughly where the dealership would have been looking at the old maps and the new infrastructure.  Surprisingly we could see the were the dealership would have been from looking out of the library window (we were several floors up).  We then went as close as we could to look at the area.   

Here's a photo of Speedy's supplying dealership

DSC02782_zps9ce60271.jpg

Here's a map of where it was

DSC02780_zpsba4df982.jpg

And here's what it looks like now :(

DSC02785_zpsda6ca59a.jpg

We'd love to research our others but we never seem to get the time.  

Edited by Tanya, 08 March 2014 - 09:20 PM.

#10 superhuhn

superhuhn

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Local Club: MiniAIX (Aachener Minifreunde)

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:24 PM

My mini was originally sold to its first owner in December 1995 by West Surrey Motors Ltd., Runmore Garage in Little Bookham, KT23 4HY. I have the receipt in my huge collection of documents that came with the car (which I bought from a Dutch used car dealer who had "imported" it to the Netherlands some time after 2008 but never had it registered there, so I am officially the second owner). :-)

Edited by superhuhn, 08 March 2014 - 09:25 PM.

#11 Dan the Van

Dan the Van

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:30 PM

My 88 Mayfair came from Sergeant and Collins,there dealer script is still etched on the boot.Don't know if they're still about but i believe they were in London somewhere.

Edited by Dan the Van, 08 March 2014 - 09:30 PM.

#12 Tanya

Tanya

Snuggle-Buddy

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:44 PM

Trevor came with a fairly comprehensive history including supplying dealership info as detailed by Corgi - https://www.corgi.co...-yellow-trevor/

#13 stickycreambun

stickycreambun

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:03 PM

I have the original receipt for Oscar, can't quite remember the name but was a dealer in Twickenham, August 1981. Meant to look it up before now just keep forgetting to get the paperwork out.

:proud:

#14 minidizzy

minidizzy

Super Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC, Mini Cooper Register

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:12 AM

My MPi was originally a Rover lease car. The dealer stamp was Rover Preparation Centre, Rugby. It was then sold with a Rover approved warranty less than two years later by Appleyard in Harrogate. I do not think they exist any more.

My RSP was sold by Westover in Corfe Mullen, Dorset. I have the original receipt. They still exist and the Westover group sells Abarth, Dacia, Fiat, Hyundai, Jaguar, Kia, Land Rover, Lexus, Lotus, Nissan, Peugeot, Renault, Skoda and Toyota. The car also went to John Cooper Garages in Ferring for an S conversion and the receipt has Honda on the heading. They have now closed.

#15 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:14 AM

Was Miniman in Solihull an original dealer?

Over the last few years I've seen a few minis at shows with miniman stickers, badge and printed on the bottom of the number plates. And mine has all that too

Edited by megamini_jb, 09 March 2014 - 08:21 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)