Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:03 PM

That fail sheet isn't TOO bad, the rust issues need sorting properly but it could have been a lot worse. Whereabouts are you? Of you are in the midlands I would send Cradley heathen a PM, he is a brilliant welder and much cheaper than most if not all garages and can do bits here and there to suit a budget if needed.

There is always a way! Good luck.

#17 filski

filski

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:05 PM

hey ya mate, that really does not sound too bad!!! 

First things first take the pics of excessive corrosion!

Depending on how bad the sills are you have a chose to do a job enough to pass the mot for a year or a job that would last you few years :)

depending on how bad the sills are you can just cut few pieces of metal clean up the areas to get some good metal and weld the plates on top=)

or replace the whole seal that would take few hours and if you are doing it yourself as first time may take longer.

the area around shock mounting is relatively straight forward as that is one of the usual places to go. again depends on the extent of corrosion all you need to do take brackets off clean up the area cut out nice rectangular piece of metal plate and reweld and grind back the welds.

i can throw some pics at you of how its done as i think i have some.

bearings i think there are few youtube videos for that but relatively straightforward although can be a pain.

#18 ado15

ado15

Super Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:15 PM

I was waiting for the "I've taxed worse" comment!

It certainly doesn't sound too bad. Plenty of people take on far worse project than that. It just comes down to ability and confidence in learning. Don't give up just yet :-)

#19 Shylos

Shylos

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:44 PM

That fail sheet isn't TOO bad, the rust issues need sorting properly but it could have been a lot worse. Whereabouts are you? Of you are in the midlands I would send Cradley heathen a PM, he is a brilliant welder and much cheaper than most if not all garages and can do bits here and there to suit a budget if needed.

There is always a way! Good luck.

Thanks - I am in Essex, although there seem to be plenty of Mini folk down this way!

hey ya mate, that really does not sound too bad!!! 

First things first take the pics of excessive corrosion!

Depending on how bad the sills are you have a chose to do a job enough to pass the mot for a year or a job that would last you few years :)

depending on how bad the sills are you can just cut few pieces of metal clean up the areas to get some good metal and weld the plates on top=)

or replace the whole seal that would take few hours and if you are doing it yourself as first time may take longer.

the area around shock mounting is relatively straight forward as that is one of the usual places to go. again depends on the extent of corrosion all you need to do take brackets off clean up the area cut out nice rectangular piece of metal plate and reweld and grind back the welds.

i can throw some pics at you of how its done as i think i have some.

bearings i think there are few youtube videos for that but relatively straightforward although can be a pain.

Cheers, I think if I am going to do it I might as well do it properly and if the whole sill needs doing replace it all - pictures would definitely be helpful when I get there, thanks! I have seen loads of posts about the mountings so it seems like a common thing as you say, always helpful when everyone else has already done it!

I was waiting for the "I've taxed worse" comment!

It certainly doesn't sound too bad. Plenty of people take on far worse project than that. It just comes down to ability and confidence in learning. Don't give up just yet :-)

Thanks a lot - hopefully it will be a challenge rather than a disaster!

I am definitely leaning towards going for it now. If I can keep it where it is then I have the space and the equipment, plus as it isn't a daily drive time is on my side. If this time next year (r... ever...) I can go to London to Brighton with it fully working, having done a lot of it myself, it'll probably be the best drive I'll I've ever been on!

Thanks for the encouragement all - if I do go ahead and dive in I will make sure I start a project thread, plus any and all advice will be more than welcome :proud:

#20 smeg

smeg

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:27 PM

as you have a mate who can weld you re on track you can do the spannering and grinding i guess 

i look forward to the thread for your work as we learn so much from what others are doing 

not so bad as the tester made it sound eh?

good luck

#21 filski

filski

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:03 PM

let me know i have done both sill on mine, but i went for over sills, which i would not recommend the panels are pretty cheap as well ;) get yourself a gas/gasless mig welder, gasless will do the job just as well i have used both and strangely found gas less not as bad as people make it sound to be. and get cheapo angle grinder i guaranteee you will have heaps of fun with that prob the only tool that i love using ;) Ow and for the love of god invest in some googles and facemask!

#22 Shylos

Shylos

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:00 AM

as you have a mate who can weld you re on track you can do the spannering and grinding i guess 

i look forward to the thread for your work as we learn so much from what others are doing 

not so bad as the tester made it sound eh?

good luck

Cheers - it certainly seems more positive than when I first took the call!

let me know i have done both sill on mine, but i went for over sills, which i would not recommend the panels are pretty cheap as well ;) get yourself a gas/gasless mig welder, gasless will do the job just as well i have used both and strangely found gas less not as bad as people make it sound to be. and get cheapo angle grinder i guaranteee you will have heaps of fun with that prob the only tool that i love using ;) Ow and for the love of god invest in some googles and facemask!

Thanks a lot :) Just need to confirm that I can keep it where it is and use the workshop - there is a MIG welder that I can use which will save some money.

Then need to work out the logistics of it - seems like most people drop the front subframe and engine straight out, but we don't have a hydraulic lift or anything... Time to search the forum!

#23 Sean C

Sean C

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Local Club: ESMOC

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:09 AM

Not a mini but my morris marina sat on my driveway for 4 years rotting away as I lost all interest in everything after loosing my business. I decided that I was gonna just scrap it and cut the shell up and keep all the good bits off it for my other marina

A few weeks after deciding to scrap it I went out to the car to give it a check over and couldn't bring myself to scrapping it so instead I made up a list of jobs needing done then spent the next 3 months welding it and rebuilding the brakes and then gave it a lick of paint. I presented the car for its first mot in 5 years and it passed with a clean sheet. The following week I took it from Edinburgh to Peterborough for the bmc rally then wizzed up to Blackpool to see friends and covered over 800 miles that weekend and the car never missed a beat!

Im glad I didn't give up on the car when I was at a low point and the work getting it back on the road was very rewarding. My next major overhaul will be my mini 1000 once my pick up is finished and im really looking forward to stripping down my mini and rebuilding it :)

#24 g-dog

g-dog

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Local Club: mini invaders

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:51 AM

Looking at the failure sheet you've got 3 types of work to do: electrical,mechanics and bodywork. The bodywork is gonna be the one that will cost the most to put right and should be tackled 1st. The subframe should be removed to repair the headboard properly but it could be the wording on fail sheet. Might just need new sills and some local repairs.
The other jobs could be done by yourself and club members etc. Or maybe try a local mobile mechanic. There cheaper than garages and more convenient by far.

Don't give up :-)

#25 wile e coyote

wile e coyote

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:02 PM

That little lot is what I'd expect to be fast approaching the norm for a huge amount of remaining mini's - it may be worth having a chat with the tester to determine exactly what's wrong - the MOT failure summaries can be a little vague - putting it mildly. If the rest of the car is in relatively good order then it's by no means a "goodbye" moment - yes it evidently requires some tinwork, but some judicious shopping will bag you such things as serviceable subframes (sure the front needs doing???? mini's leak so much oil the front is nearly alwats in good order), the electrical faults are easily remedied - as are bearings / balljoints etc. Welding labour will be your biggest outlay but you can save here too by removing subframe, outer sill etc yourself - not difficult to do....

Stick with it  - it will be worth it..... and once done will last for a very very long time......hopefully....

#26 Shylos

Shylos

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:33 PM

Thanks for the input all, very much appreciated!

Right, just put him up on ramps and had a look... and took photos.

Apologies again if this should be in the 'problems' area now - I can start a new topic if needs be.

Offside Front:

20140314_164848.jpg 20140314_164928.jpg

Nearside Front:

20140314_165101.jpg

Offside Rear (nearside fine):

20140314_165018.jpg

Also a bit concerned this looks like a crack in the subframe - not on the MOT cert though:

20140314_165123.jpg

Floor pans look pretty rubbish (one has been patched over) but seem sound:

20140314_165157.jpg 20140314_165204.jpg

#27 filski

filski

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:35 PM

this is really not too bad, get yoursel an angle grinder and a wire wheel and start wire brushing the paint and rust away to see how much of decent metal you have and then make a list of what panels you need

#28 ChrisCityE

ChrisCityE

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:35 AM

I've seen people asking £1800 for cars in that condition!

That really isn't a massive amount of work compared to some of the projects people undertake - don't give it up!

#29 sixtyeight

sixtyeight

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • Local Club: forums.minidriver.com.au

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:04 AM

yeh a problem thread isn't needed.. this needs a project thread! get to it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users