32 replies to this topic

#16 sansamn

sansamn

On The Road

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:27 PM

When I was at primary school there was a kid in my class whose mother won a brand new Mini Jet Back in a competition. His father entered the competition for her.

She was absolutely devastated as it mean she had to get rid of her beloved Morris Minor. After a few weeks of being completely distort - she went away for the weekend when the Moggie was collected by its new owner as the thought of not having it anymore brought her to tears – she did come to love the Mini

#17 Tyred-and-emotional

Tyred-and-emotional

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Local Club: 3 Custardeers Mini Club

Posted 03 June 2015 - 04:00 PM

Hi, My son just asked me to put M960 JOG, our Monte Carlo into Google and we were surprised to find this thread. I've owned our Monte since 1999 and it is safely stored in my garage with only 28000 miles roughly. Amazed to see it in this video, didn't know about this history only that is was a Rover press car and the one used in the sales brochure. Thanks so much for sharing this info and video. :D You may see her out on the road very soon....hopefully!!

Ace :) Welcome! You'll have to find yourself a copy of the song now, I managed to find it on eBay :) 

#18 Chugger

Chugger

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:51 PM

BP in Germany gave away 5 Lamms as prizes, they were all BP Green.

#19 CMXCVIII

CMXCVIII

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:08 PM

In Bristol in 1979 - maybe it was a national competition - you could win a brand new Mini 850 in Post Office red if you knew your new-fangled postcode when someone from the GPO knocked on your door and asked.

A week or so later, my car, not a Mini, took a massive whack when parked in the street overnight and next day, I went to the door of the nearest house, to see if anyone had witnessed anything.

A tiny old lady ran to the back of her hall and ran back to the door bearing the leaflet and asked "Do you mean this?!" Her face was contorted with excitement and avarice.  

I think she was more disappointed and angry than I was, when I explained why I was really there - and I wasn't exactly pleased by the situation anyway!

Jon

#20 villa3

villa3

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Local Club: West Sussex mini club

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:53 AM

Sale of the century often had a Mini as the star prise of the show.

#21 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:37 PM

JIm Bowen from Bullseye gave away a few in his time. (Along with Metros, Fiestas, Novas etc) Still like watching reruns to see the "prizes" and the Northerners "We came wi' nowt, we'll leave wi' nowt" attitude/  :D

#22 Quincy Sparks

Quincy Sparks

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Local Club: BHMC, MCR

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:52 PM

I found another musical mini giveaway - Motown chartbusters this time : https://uk.pinterest...55336445798847/

#23 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,796 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:00 PM

I found another musical mini giveaway - Motown chartbusters this time : https://uk.pinterest...55336445798847/

Great find.....thanks for posting! :mrcool:

Motown%20Mini_zpsnvxfl8ao.jpg

#24 Quincy Sparks

Quincy Sparks

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Local Club: BHMC, MCR

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:37 AM

And here's a pic of what might have been the actual car, but probably a press car? Those Point Of Sale cards are ace, and I need a copy of the Love Child LP too ;)

dcb901ad9ad2f35333b973ddfd415978.jpg

#25 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:09 PM

I wonder what happened to it?

Yes there was a Stevie Wonder pun available but I decided not to go there :-D

#26 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,796 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:41 PM

Great photo! :mrcool:

The Mini in the photo above is a Mk1 but the prize Mini pictured in the various promotional items for 1969 is a Mk2.

#27 mingy

mingy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:41 PM

JIm Bowen from Bullseye gave away a few in his time. (Along with Metros, Fiestas, Novas etc) Still like watching reruns to see the "prizes" and the Northerners "We came wi' nowt, we'll leave wi' nowt" attitude/  :D

Jim Bowen still lives just across the road from me and when i was rebuilding my mini in the garage he used to come across and have a look and chat away for ages, finally the mini was back on the road so i took Jim for a quick spin in... he loved it.......... SUPER,SMASHING,BRILLIANT came to mind but, he never said it. And i didn,t get a bendy Bully either. 

#28 Shep76S

Shep76S

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Local Club: L&SMOC

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:32 PM

Was this reg in that article? (photo was taken at MITP 2000 if memory serves)

Nope, but that looks like the actual prize car - maybe M960 JOG was just a Rover press car for the band to pose with? The plot thickens! (which was also a Galliano album title, Acid Jazz fact fans ...)
I came across another record label mini prize tie in online a while ago, from the 70s I think - will try and find it.

The reg M960 JOG appears at the beginning of the video.... (I do have the song on vinyl :) )

Just played the plot thickens for the first time in ages, still love a little bit of Galliano!

The Corduroy Mini did several L2B runs, I'm guessing around 2000. It was quite distinctive so easy to remember seeing it.

#29 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 08:35 AM

Great photo! :mrcool:

The Mini in the photo above is a Mk1 but the prize Mini pictured in the various promotional items for 1969 is a Mk2.

Looking at the pic the MK1 looks quite well used, has it already got a damp course black front valance and sills? and is that a bit of rot around the O/S indicator? the chrome has gone dull and the beauty rings on the wheels look shabby!   

#30 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,796 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:20 PM

Update:
The 'Mini Cooper Forum' has received the following interesting email reproduced below from Adam White:-
http://www.minicoope....php?f=19&t=496

Fascinating to see the knowledgeable comments about the model of this
Motown Mini. My book, "Motown:The Sound of Young America," includes a photo
of Stevie Wonder presenting the car to the winner in March 1969 (also
posted on my Twitter feed @tamla101)

The photo below was posted on the Tamla101 Twitter feed (link below) on 30 Sep 2016 :-
https://twitter.com/...908790019055616

Stevie%20Wonder%20-%20Motown%20Mini%2019

"A British prize-winner gets keys to a Motown Mini in March 1969. Signed, sealed, delivered."
 Stevie Wonder presenting the prize Mini along with Tony Blackburn!

The winner of the car was Bert Smart of Rayleigh, Essex.

Edited by mab01uk, 26 March 2017 - 09:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users