Photo
- - - - -

Christopher Handford-North West Mini Centre Is Ripping Me Off!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Halfcat

Halfcat

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:13 AM

Great forum guys, I have learned so much here!

Anyway I though I would make a public record of this in case anyone else is stupid enough to attempt to buy something from Christopher Handford (North West Mini Centre) without actually getting the parts in person. I paid him $250 GBP for a nice reburb 12G295 and a ridiculous $80 GBP for shipping to Canada. That's enough to get it here in less than a week plus some beer money. It's been about two months and no 12G295, no money, no tracking number, no info whatsoever. Two weeks ago I was told "I will look into it"....still waiting. So lesson learned for me, hope this helps someone else and shames that petty thief.

#2 Captain Mainwaring

Captain Mainwaring

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • Local Club: Surabaya Mini Club

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:38 AM

Your right - £80 shipping to Canada is ridiculous. Try getting a quote for shipping anywhere and you'll see that there is no way he could do it for anything like that amount of money.

#3 skinnyminny

skinnyminny

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Local Club: Geeks N Freaks

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:19 PM

n/a

Edited by skinnyminny, 23 February 2017 - 03:57 PM.

#4 Halfcat

Halfcat

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:16 PM

Shipping from Mini Spares would be 56 GBP.

#5 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:29 PM

Minispares probably have a big discount with shipping and courier costs due to the amount they send out. North West Mini Centre may not ship that many items, therefore may have to pay a lot more for shipping. Even packaging materials are massively cheaper when buying in bulk.

Anyway, I am assuming the issue is more that it hasn't turned up, rather than the actual cost of shipping.

#6 Halfcat

Halfcat

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:34 PM

Yeah I would have gladly paid $89 if it meant actually getting the part.

#7 Mk1Dave

Mk1Dave

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:38 PM

Isn't $89 about £50?
Sorry just re read that $89 GBP

Edited by Mk1Dave, 23 March 2014 - 03:40 PM.

#8 Halfcat

Halfcat

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

Sorry £89 ...wrong symbol.

#9 zinzan

zinzan

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Local Club: me and my imaginary friend

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:50 PM

Having shipped a tonne of stuff from Minispares, etc. in the UK over to Canada, I can only say it's always way more than you think it will be.  Because most of it has to go courier, you get killed by weight and dimensions, then by customs.  And that's without exchange.  I just paid more in shipping for a replacement bootlid than the cost of the lid itself.

If you're in British Columbia, you might want to try Craig Hunter in Victoria as an option.  He's very knowledgeable about Minis and upgrading and his prices aren't too bad considering the shipping cost alternatives.  www.hunterclassicsportscars.ca

When the CDN dollar was stronger, buying from some sellers in the U.S. was more viable...if you're near the border.  I'm 40km from a crossing and often get parcels delivered to a store across the bridge.  It can save a bit, but now that it's another 10-12 cents on the dollar it's not as good a deal.  www.7ent.com and others.

If you shipped via courier, you should have tracking and insurance.  Or is it that it's not sent yet?

#10 Halfcat

Halfcat

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:03 PM

Thanks for the positive input. I paid what he asked for shipping and the head and two months later do not have the head, the money, a tracking number or an explanation.

#11 dennismini93

dennismini93

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • Local Club: nsmoc

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:07 PM

Have you tried asking him? He's very busy so he may have it on a list to do. I'm not saying that's what it is I have no idea but iv only heard good things in the past

#12 Archived2

Archived2

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:14 PM

Have you tried asking him? He's very busy so he may have it on a list to do. I'm not saying that's what it is I have no idea but iv only heard good things in the past

He does state that he has asked him.

#13 dennismini93

dennismini93

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • Local Club: nsmoc

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:24 PM

He does state that he has asked him.

oh yeah. sorry, i did read it but obviously not very well. im sure chris would be aware and sort it out as soon as he can tho

#14 Hopper30

Hopper30

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:59 PM

To me this seems like a lack of communication, if the supplier is struggling to supply the parts he should keep the customer informed and if he can't supply the product he should be refunding the customer, Canada or U.K. if I had been waiting 2 months for something to arrive I'd be a little upset.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users