#1 charliparkes

charliparkes

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:09 PM

Hi there, 

I've got a 2013 Cooper D and I've recently purchased an iPhone Y cable off eBay, just plugged it in and it told me 'the cable wasn't currently compatible and I should use one which has been approved by the manufacturer'

Can anyone help me find a 'manufacturer approved' one? I've looked everywhere online and can't find an official MINI or Apple cable. They all seem to be cheap ones on Amazon/eBay like the one I bought, or any that I have found that look like they might be genuine are for the iPhone 4.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, really irritating!! 

Edited by charliparkes, 01 April 2014 - 07:09 PM.

#2 rounders

rounders

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:12 PM

Got mine at the spare parts dept at the mini dealer

#3 Captain Mainwaring

Captain Mainwaring

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • Local Club: Surabaya Mini Club

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:48 AM

Hi there, 

I've got a 2013 Cooper D and I've recently purchased an iPhone Y cable off eBay, just plugged it in and it told me 'the cable wasn't currently compatible and I should use one which has been approved by the manufacturer'

Can anyone help me find a 'manufacturer approved' one? I've looked everywhere online and can't find an official MINI or Apple cable. They all seem to be cheap ones on Amazon/eBay like the one I bought, or any that I have found that look like they might be genuine are for the iPhone 4.

It's down to the IOS that you are using - Apple have put a little chip in the cable now that prevents use of aftermarket cable - some charging cables may not work at all or very slow.

#4 charliparkes

charliparkes

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:05 AM

Hi there, 

It's down to the IOS that you are using - Apple have put a little chip in the cable now that prevents use of aftermarket cable - some charging cables may not work at all or very slow.

I'm using ios7?

#5 charliparkes

charliparkes

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:06 AM

Got mine at the spare parts dept at the mini dealer

Maye I'll try that, thanks!

#6 Captain Mainwaring

Captain Mainwaring

• Banned
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:42 PM

Hi there, 

I'm using ios7?

You'll have to use OEM cables I'm afraid :-(  Sometimes the aftermarket cables won't even charge with IOS 7

#7 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:51 PM

There are plenty of aftermarket cables that have the chip in, cheap ones made by lazy companies that can't be bothered to find out how Lightning works are junk though. Every pin in lightning is assignable by software, which is why so few pins can do so many things and shift so much data and why you can fit it either way up.

Is the car saying it's not compatible or the phone? That doesn't look like the right message for it to be the phone, the Apple message is usually 'accessory not supported'.

#8 Captain Mainwaring

Captain Mainwaring

• Banned
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:04 PM

lightning_connector_patent_2.jpg

http://www.cultofmac...t-work-for-you/

#9 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:40 PM

That workaround is no different to the way you used to get past unsupported accessory cables with iOS 5 on the 30 pin, you just ignore the warnings and keep turning it off and on and sometimes it will work.  But sooner or later it will come back.  I had a few junky 30pin cables for iPods that I got before I had a phone and they would all charge the phone eventually, if you just ignored everything.  Its still the case that cheap aftermarket stuff mostly won't work and good quality stuff will.  Always has been.  If you buy stuff with the genuine 'made for iPhone' logo it will work.

Moved by the way.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users