IainNeon91

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
  • Local Club: Norfolk Mini Owners Club

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:59 PM

Hello everyone,

I've been looking at my flywheel today, trying to figure out where the timing marks are on it... The only marks that I have found are these three dots followed by a line... 

These marks are the only marks on the flywheel...

I'm guessing the line on the right is TDC? And the dots are 4, 8 and 12??

Tell me what you all think...

IMG_9843_zps5b35aaf0.jpg

IMG_9849_zpsba5fddf0.jpg

Thanks

Iain

#2 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:18 PM

Timing marks are on the other side of the engine ;)

#3 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:21 PM

Early 2-piece flywheels did have timing marks on them and there were no marks on the front pulley. 

I have not seen marks like you found on that flywheel.  Normally there are a whole bunch of marks.  The early flywheel marks should look like the ones in the picture linked below (not my picture... just found on the net).

timingmarks_6325.jpg

#4 IainNeon91

IainNeon91

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:43 PM

Timing marks are on the other side of the engine ;)

Should have mentioned I have a pre a plus engine w/ pre verto flywheel ;)

Early 2-piece flywheels did have timing marks on them and there were no marks on the front pulley. 

I have not seen marks like you found on that flywheel.  Normally there are a whole bunch of marks.  The early flywheel marks should look like the ones in the picture linked below (not my picture... just found on the net).

timingmarks_6325.jpg

There is nothing similar to what's in that picture on my flywheel, the marks I've pictured are the only things that look remotely like flywheel timing marks.

They do seem do be at a similar position on the flywheel as those marks in the picture you found dklawson..?

#5 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:25 PM

Not just a TDC mark is it?

#6 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:57 PM

There is nothing similar to what's in that picture on my flywheel, the marks I've pictured are the only things that look remotely like flywheel timing marks.

They do seem do be at a similar position on the flywheel as those marks in the picture you found dklawson..?

I agree.  The handmade marks on your flywheel appear to be in similar locations to those on an early flywheel.  The question is how accurately located are they.   You COULD degree the crank with the flywheel mounted to confirm the location of the flywheel marks. 

Alternatively you could fit a crank pulley and timing chain cover from a later engine to move the marks to the front where they will be more easily seen and used.  I made dimples on my car's crank pulley and fabricated a bolt-on pointer so I could use the original timing chain cover. 

#7 IainNeon91

IainNeon91

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:40 PM

I agree.  The handmade marks on your flywheel appear to be in similar locations to those on an early flywheel.  The question is how accurately located are they.   You COULD degree the crank with the flywheel mounted to confirm the location of the flywheel marks. 

Alternatively you could fit a crank pulley and timing chain cover from a later engine to move the marks to the front where they will be more easily seen and used.  I made dimples on my car's crank pulley and fabricated a bolt-on pointer so I could use the original timing chain cover. 

Would it matter if I used the A+ timing chain cover without the tensioner?? 

#8 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:55 PM

If you are running the single row chain you probably should run the tensioner.  If you are running the duplex chain, it is strong/tight enough that you should not have to worry about fitting the tensioner. 

#9 IainNeon91

IainNeon91

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:25 AM

If you are running the single row chain you probably should run the tensioner.  If you are running the duplex chain, it is strong/tight enough that you should not have to worry about fitting the tensioner. 

I am using duplex chains. So the only thing I need to change to is the A+ crank pulley and the A+ timing chain cover?? Is the plate behind the chains the same as pre a plus??

Thanks

#10 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:49 AM

I have never worked on A+ engines as they did not legally make it over here.  However, the pictures I have seen show a different shaped timing cover to accommodate the tensioner so I assume the engine front plate would also be different to go along with the cover.  (Use a matching plate and timing cover).  Also, if you are changing from simplex to duplex chains I believe you have to modify the plate mounting holes behind the crank pulley to use flat-head screws instead of bolts so they do not foul the gear/chain.

#11 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:30 PM

Counter-sunk screws for use with duplex gears are available from our sponsors ... :-)

#12 NZMini1275

NZMini1275

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:32 PM

I have just fitted an new late model cover brought from minispares tto my a series
It has flattened breather and timing marks
It also clears the duplex gear without any modification except the countersunk screws in backplate if you haven't had one fitted previously
Just remember to get a+ gasket for cover
With cover fitted and top dead centre set up I put a small mark on crank pulley next to big timing mark

#13 NZMini1275

NZMini1275

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:34 PM

Also the cover bolted to original back plate

#14 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:39 PM

To me it looks like someone has punched the marks on the rim before lightning that flywheel and losing the originals. Then re-punched the face (not very accurately) with new marks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users