sixtyeight

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • Local Club: forums.minidriver.com.au

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:22 AM

Hi,

My names Tim, I run a mini forum in Australia called http://forums.minidriver.com.au

My full build log can be found over there at http://forums.minidr...is-mini-k-1971/ but will keep this up to date as much as I can!

Thought  I ought to start a thread on my 1971 Mini 'K'. The K was an Australian model which was the last of the round nose minis sold in Aus. It has the later Australian Clubman burst proof doors and flappy handle doors.

There is a more in depth build log over at my forum I run in Australia, if you click the link in my sig, but I will keep this updated from now on also.

Long story short, was bought as a quick fixer-upper, but has since turned into a nut and bolt, full strip down bare metal respray restoration on a budget. Well there is no budget, but to keep costs down all work is being done by myself. These savings may or may not prove to be beneficial. I had never picked up a welder in anger previous to attempting this project!

Only part not being totally rebuilt is a 1293 engine from a previous mini which is in good nic and the gear box feels great on it. The engine is just getting resprayed and the head rebuilt - new stem seals and lapping the valves in.

At the moment the shell has undergone usual rust repairs - drivers side floor replaced, new front end, patch on the o/s sill, some patches in the boot (too expensive to ship a boot floor from the UK!), and patches on the door steps. There were some other small patches but nothing too bad.

So enough typing. photos!

Here she is as I bought her.
4TY7sR8.jpg
swu9Ga7.jpg
mBDMLBl.jpg

The engine going into her (1293, warm cam, nothing over the top really)
xVQJYTP.jpg

Trial fitting the new front
z37YUcY.jpg

I live in Newcastle (Australia). The car was originally sold in Newcastle. I bought the car in Brisbane (1000km away). Now she is home.
0C6jyGW.jpg

new front welded on (heritage wings, saved the front panel from another mini)
A0dJACH.jpg

replaced n/s tail light metal due to previous accident damage
3Y1lnWd.jpg

car on spit, cleaning up underside for paint
6qRj1TR.jpg
FkYyjxu.jpg

powder coated subframes. look like new!
PzvTdbx.jpg
OgnXVYN.jpg

floor painted and stonechipped (upol gravitex, awesome stuff!)
uIuxDoA.jpg
8zDin4F.jpg

engine bay painted (tweed grey)
quxE4aS.jpg

rear suspension mounted and new brake lines
dLzAeqT.jpg
wImdjY7.jpg
KlN62fh.jpg

fully rebuilt front end - rebuild calipers, new bearings, ball joints, shocks, cones, adjustable suspension, steering tie rods etc.
aHgi4qu.jpg

front subframe in
kV2drwV.jpg

engine painted (since been reassembled and ready to go in car)
UmMwBoq.jpg

minspares seat frame modified to accept side mount seats
Opzw13g.jpg

fitting muffler - got it as close to the subframe as possible.. about 4mm clearance.
vOvjYto.jpg

I've missed heaps, I will add some as I find photos!

Tim.

Edited by sixtyeight, 01 November 2014 - 07:48 AM.

#2 RedRuby

RedRuby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:39 AM

Welcome, the cars looking great and if that's an example of your welding skills around the rear light you should be justifiably proud of your skills.

#3 Gadgets

Gadgets

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:46 AM

Very nice work

#4 69k1100

69k1100

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:59 PM

Original front looked good! Why did you replace it? I'm in the same boat with a 69 but not really sold on a new front end.

#5 sixtyeight

sixtyeight

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:58 PM

yeh the original front did look good. I even took my magnet along with me. but the wings were full of bog at the top of the a-panel, and under the wing on the o/s needed work

the n/s had been in an accident and had 1/2" of filler covering most of the panel.

the front panel was similar, covered in bog. the seams under the headlights were starting to rot and they had just cut the seam line into the bog to make it look right!

I don't have any pics of the rust on the wings, but it was the usual really. I was too depressed to take photos of it so just cut it all off!

under the o/s wing

psWNCAS.jpg

Hq0OIQh.jpg

it had rusted away at the top where the hole is in those pics, letting water down inside the door post, letting it rust out the sill. The passenger side wasn't anywhere near as bad, as it hadn't rusted out at the top, so the sills were still in great condition.

#6 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Club less.....

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:04 PM

Looking good

#7 sixtyeight

sixtyeight

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:13 AM

Cheers :)

So the car is currently at this stage:

The underside is all completed bar plumbing in the fuel pump and mounting a battery cut off switch. Pretty much everything under the car is new or rebuilt. The only old part on the car thus far is the handbrake cable and about 8 bolts.

Plan for the top of the car is to keep it simple. Tweed grey 2pac paint, debumpered front and rear, 4.5" steelies with 165 tyres, no arches if I can get away with it. If the funds extend to it I will get a set of rose petals for her.

Can't wait to get some paint on the damn thing. I have a friend who has a booth so top coat will be done there. Will epoxy prime at home as I clean up sections of surface rust/old paint.

Tim.

#8 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:50 AM

That is looking like a really decent project and didnt look in to bad condition to start of with, i do like the old bonnet badge on the front... not so keen on the massive mirrors tho...

#9 sixtyeight

sixtyeight

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:28 AM

hmm yeh those mirrors... they're on the scrap pile somewhere! I have some nice carbon fibre ones to go on..

#10 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:34 PM

aha yeah those would look nice on it.... ;D

#11 Amoc_chrisj

Amoc_chrisj

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Local Club: Aberdeen Mini Owners club

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:00 PM

Very nice, I've got a Clubman S that escaped from Oz back to here so will have to sign up to the forum in case I need any advice on the specific Aussie bits...

#12 sixtyeight

sixtyeight

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:51 AM

Awesome - all are welcome!

Not much to update - have ordered some more fuel line and braided hose end cap finisher rubber things. and a nice filter king fuel filter/regulator to bling up the engine bay a bit! Want to get all the plumbing in for the fuel pump, and the rear brake lines completed this coming weekend, then the car will be ready to drop back onto its wheels.

#13 sixtyeight

sixtyeight

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:40 AM

Not much to update really - just a whole heap of small things which do need doing eventually.

have installed a nice fuel filter

s3kEMNG.jpg

gFzITFK.jpg

Filled in some very badly cut speaker holes

ChdJJov.jpg

Welded up some holes in the doors

rSXmN77.jpg

Epoxied the boot. Filled in the number plate light recess too for a minor custom mod.

OfcBNbb.jpg

Installed an engine

L3Gu73p.jpg

zXprMKD.jpg

Yj3HTIp.jpg

HRp8lul.jpg

i56dzth.jpg

Other things I've done recently..

stripped and cleaned the wiper motor and alternator ready for assembly

made the bonnet fit - needed to slit down each edge and pull the sides in a mm or so, and weld back up. fun job. Have done numerous other repairs to the bonnet also - reattaching the bonnet stay mount, welding up some cracks at the rear of the hinges, filling in the badge holes with weld.

8F4fabr.jpg

YAuiK7Y.jpg

Doors and bonnet are ready for epoxying, then filler.

Am running out of things to do before I  have to tackle getting the top side of the car in epoxy primer!

#14 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:55 AM

Looking pretty awesome so far. That engine look great!

Nicely fitted fuel filter too!

Keep it up

#15 ribz0

ribz0

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:32 AM

Hey Tim..

The build is looking AWESOME!!!! Outstanding attention to detail and top quality workmanship.... the job on the bonnet says it all... 

Will be watching this one mate... keep up the great work!!!

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users