#1 twoducksandamini

twoducksandamini

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:40 PM

Hi,

After some investigating I have discovered that I have just acquired a 1989 Mini Austin Sky :D

Un-fortunately the person that owned it before the person I bought from had painted over the Sky blue roof with black paint.....and has painted all the body work white (not even a good job, from a newbies perspective, as it has paint blobs [technical term!] on it) which covers the blue lines and "Sky" decal :(

I am guessing the answer is no.....but do I have any chance of revealing the original paintwork? Or is it going to have to be stripped right back and re-done?

If it is being re-done does any one know where I can get paint that matches the original 1989 Austin Sky?

Plus where can I get the decal done....pics are of how it SHOULD look, not (un-fortunately) how it looks at the moment!!!

Thanks so much in advance.....my first of MANY questions!!!

Abbey

Attached Files

#2 miniman24

miniman24

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:44 PM

Here you go mate, Sticky Fingers Graphics do all the stickers for all the special editions I believe :)

http://martincull.cr...8-Mini-Sky.html

#3 twoducksandamini

twoducksandamini

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:50 PM

Here you go mate, Sticky Fingers Graphics do all the stickers for all the special editions I believe :)

http://martincull.cr...8-Mini-Sky.html

Thanks, will have a look. Have googled so many different terms....but probably all the wrong ones!!!

Abbey

#4 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:53 PM

+1 for sticky fingers!

As for the paint work, the only way forward is to strip it all back.

If you are lucky, then you may be able to take the paint back from over the decals, remove the decals and then flat back the rest of the paint work feathering the edges from beneath the decals with something like a random orbital sander with a 320grit disc making sure you feather it out thoroughly and far enough to even it out.

But that is not really the best way.... I would strip it all back, especially if it has a dodgy paint job and besides, chances are if the paint work is bodged, then any repairs to the body will have been too and require re-doing i'm afraid.

Good luck

Ben

#5 twoducksandamini

twoducksandamini

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:55 PM

Managed to find the paint codes :)

Paint code is thought to be JQN for Sky Blue, DME for Rose Pink and NAL (BLVC1218) for Diamond White bodies.

#6 twoducksandamini

twoducksandamini

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:16 PM

+1 for sticky fingers!

As for the paint work, the only way forward is to strip it all back.

If you are lucky, then you may be able to take the paint back from over the decals, remove the decals and then flat back the rest of the paint work feathering the edges from beneath the decals with something like a random orbital sander with a 320grit disc making sure you feather it out thoroughly and far enough to even it out.

But that is not really the best way.... I would strip it all back, especially if it has a dodgy paint job and besides, chances are if the paint work is bodged, then any repairs to the body will have been too and require re-doing i'm afraid.

Good luck

Ben

Thanks Ben.....once I have figured out what that all means I will get on to it ;-)

Have been on sticky fingers website and saved it in my never ending list of website links that I need to trawl through!

Abbey

#7 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:21 PM

No worries Abbey. If you need anything explaining further or any more advice then just ask  ;-)

#8 SMP

SMP

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:41 PM

I can vouch for the mini sky sticker set from sticky fingers - bought a set myself and they are spot on - I even had a steering wheel badge made us as well. Good luck with work - am looking forward to putting the blue roof back on mine -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users