Photo

New To This Site- Advice Please On Serious Rust Issues And Where To Go For Repairs In North Wales

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tomf2000

tomf2000
  • Noobies
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:01 AM

Hello.

I'm new to this site

I'm just had my Mini Cooper 1.3 (1998) fail the MOT 'big-time' on serious corrosion to the subframe mounting points and other crucial areas.

The bodywody, however, is sound and looks really good

Sadly, I'm no mechanic or DIY man, so I've taken it to my local garage repairer, who also does limited welding but he states the job is too big for him, as it's an 'engine-out' job !

Can anyone please advise me where to go in North Wales for such subframe/structural welding and repairs.

Other than severe rusting, the car is in very good condition, with a guaranteed 39,000 on the clock, so very low milage. It is therefore worthy of repair if I can find the right person to undertake the work

Any advice would be most welcome as I really don't just want to stick it on E-bay and get rid of it.

The MOT expires on Friday 25th April. It is taxed. I'm not sure I can drive it anywhere after the MOT has expired, so prompt advice would be appreciated. I live in Harlech, Snowdonia, so a long way away from towns and cities.

I look forward to hearing from someone

Tom F

#2 RedRuby

RedRuby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:13 AM

I am sure you can drive a unMOTed car to a pre-arranged appointment to a garage for repairs and to a pre-arranged MOT. Sadly can't help with local welding but someone on here will, may be wise if you get recommendations for a decent garage to pick one that will also do your MOT after the repairs will save taking it elsewhere and should ensure that they do the repairs to a good standard.

#3 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:15 AM

Hi and welcome to TMF, post up some pictures of the affected areas ( use Photobucket it's free) then we will be able to offer some advice on the various rust issues.

I'm not sure you can drive it to a pre arranged garage visit unless it includes the MOT. To a booked MOT yes but to a separate garage repair visit I don't think so. However another member maybe able to clarify this.

#4 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:21 AM

I am 99.9% you can drive it to a garage for repairs as long as its pre arranged (they must have a record of your reg) and it must be for repairs relating to the MOT. I.e if it fails on corrosion, you cant drive it to a paint shop to have rough paint done, but can drive it to a welders.

#5 Yams

Yams

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:26 AM

I am 99.9% you can drive it to a garage for repairs as long as its pre arranged (they must have a record of your reg) and it must be for repairs relating to the MOT. I.e if it fails on corrosion, you cant drive it to a paint shop to have rough paint done, but can drive it to a welders.

This is correct. So long as you are taking it to a place to get the areas that make it unread worthy seen to.

Something i believe myself and Clive are familiar with now after a previous topic relating to MOTs. :whistling:

From what your saying about the sub frame being corroded in several areas, it might simply be more cost effective to buy a reconditioned one, or even new opposed to paying to carry out repairs to the old one.

Best of luck, im sure someone will be along shortly to recommend somewhere for you to get to work done, and welcome to the forum :)

#6 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:28 PM

Something i believe myself and Clive are familiar with now after a previous topic relating to MOTs. :whistling:

My memory is crap mate, you will have to remind me.

#7 Yams

Yams

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:57 PM

http://www.theminifo...-2#entry3041359

#8 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:59 PM

http://www.theminifo...-2#entry3041359
with you now mate ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users