Photo

Would You Ever Sell Your Mini Just For Something More Newer?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 ToM 2012

ToM 2012

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:47 PM

i really would like a brand new car new audi or something but i dont want to take my mini of the road after rebuilding it. and i always said i will never sell it but i really would love a nice van for work or a newer car... what would you do.. 

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:50 PM

Save up!

#3 big-jay

big-jay

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:52 PM

Absolutley NO WAY would I sell my Mini after all the time and money I'm putting into it. I'd just save up and use the Mini as a weekend car !

#4 Moggyton

Moggyton

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • Local Club: Stone mini club

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:56 PM

After all the time and money ive put into my mini it wouldnt be worth selling it now. Id just save up if i wanted a new car. 

#5 willava182

willava182

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:58 PM

Agreed with others, i can't get my money back and its worth more to me than anyone else!

Edited by willava182, 20 April 2014 - 02:59 PM.

#6 mini-geek

mini-geek

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:00 PM

If you want to sell it sell it.. What does it matter what anyone else would do?

I sold my MPI a few years back to help fund buying a camper...

But I wouldn't buy a brand new car again.. You loose too much money, a car that's 12months old that's been looked after is just as good!

#7 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:08 PM

I nearly bought a brand new car a few years back, but only because being based in Germany I could do so tax free. That is the only way I would do it because you just lose too much money on it. There are so many second hand cars around that are good that there are many better options. It's not quite the same as you don't get to spec it and collect it etc, but if you shop around you will find one as you would have specced it. 

One of my best mates was very lucky. When his parents left uni, they said if he buys a brand new car, they will pay half the cost for him. This was so that he had something reliable to start him off etc (he is not mechanically minded in the slightest). In addition, they lent him 50% of the rest of the cost, so he only had to pay 25% of the cost of the car, paying another 25% off over 2 years or something. He chose a Clio, back in 07. But they told him they wouldn't do it if he bought a second hand car, even if it was just a year old!

#8 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • 2,481 posts
  • Local Club: spearmint rhino

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:10 PM

i have sold all my minis for newer cars, although the most recent time i did this it was a 74 mini i sold, and replaced with a comparatively brand new 82 metro.

i know what you mean though about not wanting to sell your after doing loads of work on it, but you have got the mk1 to concentrate on.

if i could afford the insurance on a modern car i would have now. classic car insurance is so cheap though, it makes it very appealing to keep a classic on the road!

#9 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:17 PM

I would be more tempted to sell,it for something older.

#10 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:18 PM

Its not just the insurance though. Servicing costs on a new car because it holds value better are quite high. On top of that when parts go wrong are expensive, and invariably little can be done at home. My mate from above has spent quite a bit of things for his car that have gone wrong. The cost of having a new car is high these days. 

#11 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:24 PM

Its not just the insurance though. Servicing costs on a new car because it holds value better are quite high. On top of that when parts go wrong are expensive, and invariably little can be done at home. My mate from above has spent quite a bit of things for his car that have gone wrong. The cost of having a new car is high these days.

and with £90-£120 the usual price for an hours labour at main dealers, even small jobs are expensive.

#12 Tommyboy12

Tommyboy12

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:31 PM

If youre looking at a new Audi then why not lower expectations and have both? I wanted an Audi A4 but I bought a Ford Mondeo instead so I could keep the Mini going too.

#13 ToM 2012

ToM 2012

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:00 PM

its more so a van i need as i can not get my tools in the mini lol but i really dont want to take my mini of the road. but i only use it for shows and weekends so insurance is for just that.. does anyone have that multicar insurance as i could try a van and the mini together. 

#14 Mk1Dave

Mk1Dave

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:34 PM

Wouldn't sell the mini. Used to have a 1990 discovery as the sensible family car. The wife wanted something newer that had better mpg. So brought an 2003 Mgztt cdti for £800 it's got all the optional extras. Can't see that I can lose money on that. Got to be worth that in bits. I would never buy a brand new car. I can't see the point

#15 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:43 PM

I'm seriously looking at the ZT or ZT-T for the next one after the R25. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users