54 replies to this topic

#1 AdamBilsy

AdamBilsy

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:19 PM

We are currently in the process of setting up a new workshop offering design and manufacturing services that includes 3D Printing.

I am currently working on a selection of mini Iphone cases(photos to follow) but in the meantime if anybody has any suggestions for customised parts for their mini or any other application that they would like printed let me know.

We are currently able to print in the following colours:

Red

Blue

Green

Purple

Gold

White

Black

Grey

Orange

Glow in the Dark

Yellow

Examples of the types of stuff that can be produced can be seen on www.thingiverse.com

We can work from most 3d file formats including STL, DXF and DWG. or if you have a simple request we can generate the file for you.

#2 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:25 PM

Hi Adam,

Just wondering what kind of finish or finishes it comes out with after printing ?

And also what kind of price figures for something say the size of  bag of sugar ? (Or is it calculated by complexity ?)

Cheers,

Cliff

#3 AdamBilsy

AdamBilsy

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:44 PM

Will get some close up photos of the finish on some of the stuff we have already printed this week.

As the prints are built up in layers there is a slightly 'ribbed' texture to the part which usually isnt a problem, this can be removed by lightly sanding if required.

Most parts are printed with a honeycomb like inner rather than as a completely solid object to reduce weight. The amount of this infill can be adjusted to suit the strength needed.

Price depends on the amount of plastic used(approx £15/kg) + the time taken to print(which is dependant on the quality required, the amount of infill(honeycomb structure) and the size)

Again, I will get some photos of previous work we have produced along with prices as a guide this week.

Edited by AdamBilsy, 20 April 2014 - 07:45 PM.

#4 Gremlin

Gremlin

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:00 PM

If I draw up some diagrams on paper and some representations and post of pictures of them will you give me a quote? The precision will not have to be outstanding and I'll have whichever colour is already in the printer unless it's gold/purple/glow in the dark :)

#5 AdamBilsy

AdamBilsy

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:01 PM

make sure you include dimensions and i'll take a look.

#6 Gremlin

Gremlin

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:04 PM

Yeah sure, won't be any solid parts, could easily be made from bent and glued sheets, but if it's cheap why not

#7 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

Has Ratchet, Will Make Noises

• Members
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:44 AM

Sounds like a great idea, I have a few ideas for my mini. Whats the limits on size?

#8 AdamBilsy

AdamBilsy

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:45 PM

we are currently limited to 200x200x200mm however prints at that size tend to cause alot of issues. Realistically your looking at 150x150x150mm

#9 PlugExploits

PlugExploits

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:50 PM

I really want one of these. I can't track down the person with the idea and can't find them for sale anywhere. Can you do one for iphone 5 ?

http://www.theminifo...-iphone-holder/

I think there are a lot of people that would want these

Edited by PlugExploits, 21 April 2014 - 05:51 PM.

#10 AdamBilsy

AdamBilsy

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:49 PM

Have replied in that thread but will repeat here.

I do not want to get involved with electronics, however if people wanted just a basic phone cradle that mounts into the ashtray slot in the dash rail I am happy to design and print some.

#11 PlugExploits

PlugExploits

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:59 PM

I'll have one please

#12 AdamBilsy

AdamBilsy

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:50 AM

I'm assuming the main market would be for iPhone 5's? I'll start with that and then can do different versions after.

#13 PlugExploits

PlugExploits

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:04 AM

I'm using a 5s and would have thought most will have 5's of some sort. I recon there will be a call for samsung galaxy's to. Could you make it so I can still use my charger and 3.5mm jack to please.

#14 Mini Mad Drakeley

Mini Mad Drakeley

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  • Local Club: south down mini owners club

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:29 AM

Hmmm, how much do you reckon a door furniture kit would cost to be printed in glow in the dark or blue?

thanks, Adam

#15 AdamBilsy

AdamBilsy

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:38 PM

Hmmm, how much do you reckon a door furniture kit would cost to be printed in glow in the dark or blue?

thanks, Adam

Whilst this is something that could easily be printed, I would suggest that it is not going to be financially viable. If we factor in the time it would take to  reverse engineer a set of door furniture and draw up all of the files so that they are suitable for printing, plus the time taken to print the full set, I would imagine it would come in at around £150, which compared to the price of a standard set(which you could paint glow-in-the-dark) is rather expensive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users