#1 kaney

kaney

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 05:37 PM

Hi Guys
Today we started to get the engine ready for removal out of my '74 mini.
Most of it was pretty easy then we tried to remove the gear shaft linkages.
On the main shaft there is a collar which connects it to the gear box, there are some pins in this collar which look like they should just pop out, is this correct?
but because of the way it is you cant get in to hit them out as other parts of the engine are in the way. Is there a special tool needed?

Next problem the other shaft (steady?) connected to the gear lever has a square bracket which connects it to the rear of the engine, the nut came off easy but it seems the bolt has rusted itself into the bracket...is there anyway to get this out apart from grinding off the end of the bolt and hitting it?

And the other problem is the top engine steady, because of the way the brake lines have been refitted it's impossible to just swing it out of the way so that it clears the engine when lifted, so after trying to undo the bolt that holds it to the bulkhead this bolt also seems it has rusted up and it still wouldn't come out after about an hours persuasion with the hammer :tongue: will this also have to be carefull ground off?

Thanks
Kane

#2 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 11:20 PM

Those gear linkages are a complete b****rd. There isnt any special tools for them that i know of, i just used a punch i had grownd down. When i was getting them off my HL the pins just slipped out really easy but when i did them on the pickup it took me hours :D . Just use a big hammer!

#3 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 12:08 AM

when trying to remove the pins from the collar try selecting different gears till the position is right and then knock it out with a punch. If you have any trouble moving the pins try soaking them in wd40 or similar and the same with the rusted bolts that you've mentioned. Oh and i usually find the pin on the gearbox side easiest to remove.

#4 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 27 June 2004 - 06:01 AM

I had the same problem, but with the right tool it takes 3 seconds.
You need a 7/16 parrallel punch(I'll double check size) and a hammer.
I found it easy to hit the roll pin with box in neutral but try different gears if it is being awkward.

#5 bluebottle

bluebottle

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 11:00 AM

i always find if you put the car in reverse it gives best access to the roll pin, and the punch size is 3/16" NOT 7/16"!!! :saywhat:

#6 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 27 June 2004 - 03:03 PM

Yeah. I couldn't remember exactly

#7 kaney

kaney

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 04:21 PM

thanks for your help guys

sent dad for a 7/16ths punch ...luckily they only had 3/16ths (LOL)

came out fairly easily, then the rest of the day consisted of hacksawing and grinding the 2 stuck bolts..eventually got them out. had to bend the U bracket at the end of the gear shift steady to get it over the bolt.

Then lifting the engine out was easy :grin:

its just had a quick clean with gunk and a pressure washer. Its drying off ready to be cleaned properly and prepped for the painting tomorow

Thanks again
-Kane-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users