HippoHen

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Local Club: PMOC

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:11 PM

Hi guys, 

Just wanted an approx value of what one of my minis is worth as am considering selling. It's a 91 mini mayfair that has 37000 miles on the clock.

Basically I bought this mini with a couple of months MOT a long time ago with the intention of doing it up. Just to see what I was up against I put it through another MOT and surprisingly it passed so i simply used it as my daily. But that was a while ago and since then it has just been dry stored in a garage. Anyway as you can see the body is in a bad way, I have taken photos of some of the worst bits. I am the second owner, first owner was an elderly lady who just drove it to the shops and back. However it appears that the bodywork was never cleaned! The engine (998) is not running on all 4 and needs a jump start to start to assume the alternator has seen better days. The handbrake is seized. I really don't want to see this car broken for parts :(

Has no MOT or tax.  

Will let the pictures do most of the talking. 

Cheers for any valuations given. Any questions please ask.

3368998F-C818-40B6-A8FC-A0EC57288E3B_zps

B5321FC6-8B8E-4CB7-8085-08F738884006_zps

01D8C2D2-BD14-4155-B84C-1D738215403B_zps

BAF287D4-475A-4C9C-B020-9E7FF37A8958_zps

0C68C932-93A8-47FC-9BF6-143C39C1425E_zps

1AAE4FB2-3EE5-4407-958C-8423B6649779_zps

D0FBDCFE-BAB3-4D55-BF78-4013D214907A_zps

BACD8B65-315F-4AAB-B7F8-8F30EF5FDAEE_zps

Edited by HippoHen, 22 April 2014 - 03:17 PM.

#2 HippoHen

HippoHen

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:14 PM

52A993B7-DD94-450C-9F62-EC185F118D94_zps

16C678C9-B780-4CE8-BB67-116E0FEA642C_zps

1AAE4FB2-3EE5-4407-958C-8423B6649779_zps

F8E097E4-67E9-44D0-9520-3B30AFEC4C84_zps

2EA2C6EF-0292-44C9-A304-DC565EE1C018_zps

Edited by HippoHen, 22 April 2014 - 03:15 PM.

#3 Tommyboy12

Tommyboy12

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:27 PM

As its show season maybe £500 if youre lucky. It needs a lot of new panels and certainly will not get through an MOT without a lot of work.

#4 strada

strada

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:29 PM

Worth £800 easily.

#5 mk3 Cooper S

mk3 Cooper S

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:35 PM

Between £500 and £1000.

It looks unmolested and a straight forward resto project.

Ebay it to get the most return for it 

#6 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:46 PM

£800-£900?

as above, looks original.

All comes down to what someone wants to pay i guess. eBay will be the best bet, start at say £600 and see what happens. These are the best types of project as there is no removing layers of metal and old bodge ups. Just straightforward panel replacement. 

I would buy it!

Ben

#7 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:49 PM

£600

#8 Archived2

Archived2

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:49 PM

600-700 realistically but things go crazy this time of year and this could make 750+

#9 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:01 PM

I'd be surprised if it goes for over £600 in that condition. Realistically it needs a new front end, floor pans and door skins at the very least. I'd say more like £400-£600, particularly as it has engine/mechanical problems too.

#10 Archived2

Archived2

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:19 PM

I'd be surprised if it goes for over £600 in that condition. Realistically it needs a new front end, floor pans and door skins at the very least. I'd say more like £400-£600, particularly as it has engine/mechanical problems too.

Normally I would agree but things have gone crazy recently.

Seen some real rot boxes make 1k+

If I was bidding on this I would be stuck at 400. Needs lots of work,

Edited by minihobbymini, 22 April 2014 - 07:20 PM.

#11 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:30 PM

As a seller you're hoping to get much of a return as possible, obviously, and in that case I suggest eBay.

Ok, they have quite high fee's but I do feel it will do its best on there.

I recently sold a bare rolling shell, required some welding, rear radius arm refurb, windows, a few other bits and was by no means mint. I listed it for £650 and ended up taking £700 for it within 48 hours. Far more than I valued it at (I priced at £650 hoping for £500).

If you're really unsure in its value whack it up on eBay, despite there being a lot of time wasters on there, there are also a lot of genuine buyers looking for a project.

My valuation would be £600 to £1000

EDIT

I agree with the above comments as well, the mini market seems to be all over the place at the minute. Personally my top money would be at around £500-£600 but it would probably do more on auction.

I have recently seen a few 998's end on eBay, one complete rot box went for £585, one rolling project, not mot or tax went for £995 but then a fairly decent running convertible went for £205, it's hard to keep track of things.

Edited by tomm, 24 April 2014 - 08:33 PM.

#12 pompey

pompey

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:29 PM

That's the colour my Mayfair was, and a similar condition. Good luck with the sale

#13 alicetheauto

alicetheauto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • Local Club: Rusty Nuts Minis, Leicester

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:22 PM

I'd say around £350-450. It's not a desirable model, or year, and it needs a LOT of work. Engine problems could also be serious. These motors take alot to make them run badly, normally clean fuel and plugs then they run sweet even if left for years.

#14 HippoHen

HippoHen

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:44 PM

Hi guys thanks for all the help. i replaced the spark plugs and that helped the engine big time. I have decided to stick it on ebay and wondered before i post it up whether you think my description of the car is good. Cheers 

Hello and welcome to the auction of my 1991 Mini Mayfair! 

I bought this mini locally from an elderly sadly who had sadly died. She bought the mini brand new from Victor Wood in Oakham and in it's time with her covered around just 35000 miles! It was kept in a garage however it appears that the car was rarely washed as you can see the body work has not stood the time against the grit and salt too well. Unfortunately when I acquired the car I was unable to get any service history with it as I bought it directly from the solicitors who were unable to find it at her home address. However I can assure you that this car has only done 37028 miles as i knew the lady well and am the second from new! 

When I acquired the car the plan was have it as a project and get it back to looking as it should. To see what I was up against I put it through an MOT in march 2012 and surprisingly it passed. So I simply used it as my daily. But that was a while ago and since then it has just been dry stored in a garage since a couple of weeks ago when I lost my storage. It pains me to see this car unloved right now as I know it was once a beauty. I do not want to see this car broken for parts as I really don't how many original mayfairs there are left but I know there is not enough. The car is completely original and standard and would make for great project for someone. The chequered mirrors are obviously not original but I have the originals and they are included in the sale.

Anyway enough about the history of the car lets get down to it's current condition. As I have already stated the car is rusty in the usual places. It will require a new front end as the current one is rotten. I have included a photo of the drivers side A panel which unfortunately got pretty damaged when some idiot (this was me) left the drivers door open and reversed the door into a post which caused it to bend back the A panel. Also due to this the drivers door has never really sat right since. Also I have included photos of the floorpans, as you can see the drivers side one has a couple of holes in it and will no doubt want replacing. Also the nearside rear bin has a hole in it. the boot floor seems reasonably ok but the rear valance will need replacing.Also there is some bubbling underneath the brake lights. The handbrake has seized but it is still pretty drivable. The tyres all have tred on them and don't seem in too bad away. The engine runs, but the exhaust blows like a trooper. Also I'm guessing the alternator has packed up as have to jump start it. I'm no professional mechanic so I recommend coming to view the car before bidding so you can get a good look yourself. 

Viewing is welcome and encouraged. The car is located in Rutland where it was originally purchased brand new in 1991! How cool is that! You bid to buy not to come and view and try and haggle! I have described the car as honestly as I can but I am no trained mechanic and as you can see it requires a lot of welding. However I have heard that these unmolested cars are the best for restorations as there is no removing layers of metal and old bodge ups but more just straightforward panel replacement. The car has no MOT or tax so will need to be trailered away. As you can see a % of the final bid will be donated to charity, out of respect the first owner who was an animal lover I have decided to donate the money to an Brook Farm Animal Sanctuary. So please be generous. 

In conclusion a nice low mileage car that needs some work, but you'll have a good car when it's done.Any questions or other pictures wanted please ask and I will do my best to answer them.  Thanks for looking. Happy bidding!

#15 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:42 PM

I think you seriously need to thin that down considerably, otherwise potential buyers are likely to get bored by the second paragraph and loose interest. I'd loose the essay style, and stick to bullet points. A short opening and/or closing paragraph is fine, but put then bulk of the information in an easy to read format, that doesn't involve a potential buyer having to wade through loads of text, to find out what they want to know.

So something like:

Reluctant sale of my largely original, low milage, 91 mayfair. Purchased in 2012 with just 37028 on the clock, used as daily transport until xxxx and then dry stored up until 2 weeks ago. Requires restoration but an unmolested example that would make an excellent project.

One previous elderly lady owner, who kept car garaged

Starts and runs, but requires jump starting

Requires replacement floor panels, A panels, wings, scuttle & front panel (see photos)

No Tax / MOT (will need to be trailered away)

Etc

If buyers are genuinely interested and want to know more detail, then they'll ask. I usually list a contact phone number with the phrase "for more information, or to arrange a viewing call:....." That way, they can even call you, if they want to discuss the car in more detail. Plus by giving people the opportunity to view before bidding, you reduce the chances of a winning bidder claiming the car isn't as described and thar they didn't get the opportunity to see it in person before bidding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users