7 replies to this topic

#1 Telejmp

Telejmp

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 07:16 PM

Hey I picked up a little run around mini the other day untill my other one is finished, but.. Its leaking oil like crazy, I jacked it up to see where it was coming from yesterday, but.. It seems to be coming from everywhere, the entire bottom of the engine is covered in oil, including the floor/footwell area and I cant seem to find the one (or many) place(s) it is leaking from.
Where are the main places I should check?
Thanks,
pEaCE
Dom

#2 Poo

Poo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 07:40 PM

your best bet is to get a load of really soapy water, with fairy liqiud in or somethin because it's the best thing to get rid of oil with, then clean all the oil off and wait and see where it comes from first

#3 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 10:45 PM

the main places i find that cause trouble are the selector shaft seal, and the two seals either side for the driveshafts on the diff casing, other than these there are also the oil filter either between the housing and the block or the rubber on the filter itself and also the timing gear cover.

#4 Hols_mini

Hols_mini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 02:01 PM

i thought minis came with an oil leak as standard :D :D :D

#5 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 04:20 PM

part of a rust proofing strategy on behalf of bmc! I wonder if it was part of issigonis's design?

#6 Telejmp

Telejmp

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 06:34 PM

OK, Ive found the oil was coming from the drive shaft oil seals, are these simply called "drive shaft oil seals"?
Also, ive taken off the mountings that the oil seals fit into, what is the gasket called that fits behind these?
Thanks, im about to order the seals and gaskets, but im not sure what they are called.
Thanks again,
pEaCE
Dom

#7 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 09:11 PM

check these pages out on minispares website they should tell you all you need, i've always called them driveshaft seals but this is probably wrong!

casing
seal

#8 fireman-sam

fireman-sam

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Local Club: bucks mini club

Posted 07 July 2004 - 07:20 PM

diff oil seals are simple to change but you must drain the oil first :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic