#1 min ritz ryan

min ritz ryan

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Local Club: Skidmark Mini Owners Club

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:57 PM

Hi all, I am thinking of buying cooper replica wheels but getting them banded to maybe 6 or 7". Has anybody done this, if so how much would it cost and would it be worth it?

#2 JDImini

JDImini

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:14 PM

I'm thinking of doing this. I think it's about £50ish per wheel give or take.
Seen this on Japan Mini Photography Facebook page and looking at them yes they are worth it!!! Attached File  image.jpg   64.21K   46 downloads

#3 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:21 PM

just remember the widest road tyre you can get is only suitable for a 6 inch wide rim

#4 min ritz ryan

min ritz ryan

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:21 PM

That isn't that bad really, may have to do it, depending how much it will cost to convert my 8.4'' disc set up to 7.5''. 

Ahh see, but a bit of stretch tyres looks quite nice, but it depends on your preference ;)

#5 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:32 PM

At the minute in the group by the 8.4 to 7.5 conversion is £165.00, you can get wheels banded for £40 a wheel.

What do you mean would it be worth it?

#6 min ritz ryan

min ritz ryan

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:47 AM

What do you mean, in the group?
Oh right, where charges that then, as thats quite cheap.
Well, I meant would it balance out having to by a brake conversion, band the wheels and new tyres just to make it look a bit like the picture shown above

#7 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:55 AM

the 10's with the silly big wide built in spacers that fit outside your 8.5 inch brakes might give you the look you want cheaper

#8 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:14 AM

I meant group buy. http://www.theminifo...group-buy-2014/

This guy is surposed to be very good. http://retrorides.pr...-wheels-back-on

Thats entirely up to you, if you like it get it.

#9 dood

dood

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Local Club: not sure?

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:00 PM

I love banded steels, but I was told they are illegal on the roads nowadays? no?

I think it would be worth doing as it seems relatively cheap considering how good they look.

I seen a 7.5 disc conversion kit on minispares and it was about £500 :huh: , seems steep to me...

#10 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:06 PM

I love banded steels, but I was told they are illegal on the roads nowadays? no?

I think it would be worth doing as it seems relatively cheap considering how good they look.

I seen a 7.5 disc conversion kit on minispares and it was about £500 :huh: , seems steep to me...

Nothing illegal about the banding process, it comes under the same regs as any other dodgy welding, if you have sills attached with screws and the odd tack weld then you will have the same issues as a badly banded wheel. 

The 7.5 disk conversion is from drums to disk not from 8.4" disks to 7.5" disks 

And yes, banded steels look the dogs danglies! here are my 10x6's 
1538738_10203058130074804_1700006761_n.j

1620933_10203058127514740_2122060667_n.j

1619419_10203058132474864_1629068543_n.j

Edited by Alex_B, 29 April 2014 - 07:06 PM.

#11 dood

dood

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:13 PM

Nothing illegal about the banding process, it comes under the same regs as any other dodgy welding, if you have sills attached with screws and the odd tack weld then you will have the same issues as a badly banded wheel. 

So banded steels are legal as long as they have been fabricated to a safe and acceptable standard? and not bodged by an idiot with a welder?

#12 Alex_B

Alex_B

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:14 PM

So banded steels are legal as long as they have been fabricated to a safe and acceptable standard? and not bodged by an idiot with a welder?

That is how I understand it, and I did a fair amount of research before buying mine

#13 dood

dood

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:17 PM

That is how I understand it, and I did a fair amount of research before buying mine

WOOHOO! YEEHAA! :highfive:

I've always wanted banded steels.

#14 tomb1992

tomb1992

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:24 PM

End off the day as long as your wheels don't protrude your arches to far your not going to get pulled over for them as banded wheels just look like wheels! (Duh)  also as long as the wheels are round and strongly welded it wont effect mot :).done properly its fine. 

Also Alex have you tried fitting chrome hub caps to them? looking Ace!  :shades:  :whistling:

#15 Alex_B

Alex_B

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:28 PM

End off the day as long as your wheels don't protrude your arches to far your not going to get pulled over for them as banded wheels just look like wheels! (Duh)  also as long as the wheels are round and strongly welded it wont effect mot :).done properly its fine. 

Also Alex have you tried fitting chrome hub caps to them? looking Ace!  :shades:  :whistling:

I have, but I was planning to go for a slight racer feel with the car and chrome hubcaps = extra weight so didnt use them, 

However I have some which I was thinking about doing something with, either painting them as I dont like chrome or stickerbombing them 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users