8 replies to this topic

#1 adam c

adam c

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 04:37 PM

Just wondering if any one knows what I should use as gasket sealent on the gasket between my engine and gearbox. It says about sealing it in my haynes manual but what should I use?? Also what should I use on the C-shaped crank oil seal thing, it mentions some sort of sealent, any ideas?? I'd give more detail but I don't have the manual handy because my home computers died :erm:

Any other tips for bolting it back together would be appreciated. Thanks....

#2 bluebottle

bluebottle

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 04:44 PM

i use a non hardening gasket sealant, like blue hylomar, you only need a light smeer.

#3 P91MER

P91MER

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 08:06 PM

You can get full bottom end gasket sets for the mini, i bought one for a 1275 i had lying round.. comes with every gasket for the engine, gearbox, clutch all of em!!

Rich

#4 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 27 June 2004 - 11:51 PM

Over here there are two Permatex products commonly used, Permatex-2B and Aviation Form-a-Gasket. Form a gasket is thinner and brushes on, 2B is a paste in a tube but they are basically the same. Great for everything but alcohol.

On the front bearing cap seal I cheated. I used Blue RTV silicone to attach the seal to the gearbox before mating it with the block. I "glued" the seal in place and once that set, I put a smear of Form-a-Gasket on the top surface prior to putting the tranny back on the block. It's only been together for about 1000 miles but there are no leaks so far.

#5 adam c

adam c

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 07:15 AM

Cheers..I have the full gasket set, just wanted to make sure I could just use the same gasket goo on the oil seal as on the gasket.

#6 andyps

andyps

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 07:26 PM

I put one together at the weekend and used blue hylomar - not got it in the car yet so still got my fingers crossed it is oil tight. I have done before and it was ok.

I am worried about a leak as one of the bolts sheared when was tightening it - no way to get the stud out without dismantling everything again and frankly I couldn't be bothered, plus I would need new gaskets again :sad:

#7 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 29 June 2004 - 08:06 PM

I use Hylomar Blue on my engines and havn't had any probs with it. I took a Mini Sport engine apart once and it didnt have any gasket paste on it at all, and it didnt leak anywere! You gotta be pretty confident to do that tho I recon!!

#8 bluebottle

bluebottle

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 10:01 AM

some vintage engines, bugatti i think, are built to such tolerances that they dont use gaskets!

#9 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 03:04 PM

Yep, many racing cars don't use head gaskets either, but the surfaces have to be *PERFECT* for that to work!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users