Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 27 June 2004 - 07:31 PM

Hi,

I'm hopefully changing from the 1098 i've got now which burns oil like its going out of fashion, to a nice sophisticated A+ 1275. I'm wondering, i have a stage one kit on the 1098, which consists of a full exhaust system, with an LCB (3 into 2 into 1) manifold, uprated cast alloy water heated inlet manifold, and replacement element K&N filter. Will this all be suitable for a 1275? (i think the filter will have to be changed, as the airbox on a 1275 is different), but apart from that will the exhaust and manifold be ok for the engine?

Thanks

Tom

#2 P91MER

P91MER

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 08:02 PM

I don't think the exhaust will fit as the 1275 is big bore, and the 1098 is small bore, i think the inlet ports on the head are of a bigger size on 1275, so the manifold will probably fit, but will restrict the fuel flow. You could try looking round for an engine with a few mods already on it. you may be able to find a 1275 with a sports cam, new head, rockers, manifolds, carb for about £250

Rich.

#3 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 08:05 PM

the exhaust on the 1098 is a 1.5" diameter RC40 system, i forgot to mention that!! Will that be ok for a 1275? I should hopefully acquire an inlet manifold for it if the one from the 1098 turns out to be too small. tom

#4 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 09:44 PM

You might have to open up the hole in the base plate of the air filter , it depends on the carb you are going to use on the 1275 , the carb on the 1098 is a 1 1/2inch but you may get a 1 3/4inch carb on the 1275. if the 1275 you get is an MG engine you get an alloy inlet on it as standard :grin:
the LCB and RC40 will do the job , beware of going too big with the exhaust as this will lose you power! 2inch is too big! unless you are running a turbo or supercharger :grin: and also a big tail pipe makes you look like a sad "nova boy" (note , soon to be replaced by "corsa twit" and "saxo sad case ") :D :D

#5 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 10:30 PM

yeah, i'll echo what woody said. I had to open out the hole on the air filter to fit the 1 3/4" carb other than that everthing else just bolted straight on. Unless its a full out racer you shouldn't need a 2" system. I'm running an 1.5" bore RC40 and it runs fine loads of bottom end torque and not very noisy.

#6 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 11:00 PM

fantastic, i should be running a HIF44 1 3/4 carb on it with any luck, so that should all work ok. I'm picking it up on weds night, and i'm going to pretty much rebuild it over the next couple of weeks, in time for the showdown!

thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users