Yeti

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Local Club: I don't play well with others

Posted 14 June 2006 - 05:12 PM

[attachment=16951:attachment]

Hey I have been here for a small amount of time and i have finally got hold of a camera, then it started to rain so im not going to work on it today (power tools and rain, Darwin award anyone?), but i have found an old picture. It doesn't do the brightness of the yellow out fully, its eye burning up close.
The spec so far (well the bits i have changed)

Austin 1300GT engine (with the twin carbs but only single valve springs)

Janspeed single box centre exit exhaust (a friend had one going cheap, a change of brackets and away i went, but i heat wrapped it as it sits under the petrol tank.....)

3.4 final drive (the 3.7 i had used to scream off the lights but it wasn't happy)

8.4inch brakes (the drums would not be cool with the 1300GT engine, but i miss 10" wheels)

Standard steel 12" wheels with pony tyres on them.

I had the 848cc engine in there before (only 36000ish miles on it) with a skimmed cooper 997 head and twin inch and a quater carbs, these carbs are on there now, i don't think they are big enough for it but they are mint.

Right now the plan is to
first of all replace patch up the small parts of rust underneath (i'll do the full floor replacement thing next year...... maybe :lol: )

The second thing i need to do is finish rubbing it down and prepearing it for a repaint. Now this is where im stuck. What colour should i paint it!!!! i need to decide soon..... any suggestions welcome....

The small matter of getting the tax insuarance and MOT (which may require the re subframe doing)

Oh yes i was hoping to have this done for the weekend of the 16th-17th of july...

Yeti

I'll get more pictures tomorrow and as i do more work to the little bugger.....

#2 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 05:24 PM

Nice job ... looking out for new pix. Can't suggest alternative colour without knowing more about the "character" you want to create -- the yellow looks pretty in your face, so why not go with that? Or are you aiming for something more dignified?

Keep up the good work :lol:

#3 Yeti

Yeti

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 05:39 PM

Well the yellow is ten time brighter, i had that done by a painter and it started to go wrong after a few weeks (a long story that involves rude words.... another time me thinks). Im looking for a change, something a bit more subtle.......... thats most clours then

This is an old photo, before i past my test on the L2B run in 2002 i think
[attachment=16952:attachment]

I don't mind the idea of two colours, im into my classic american hotrods, but i nothing fancy as im doing it my self. Infact im going to be doing as much of this myself, if it goes wrong at least im not paying someone else for the privalage.

Yeti

#4 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 06:35 PM

into my classic american hotrods,

In that case *peers into crystal ball* I see bling ... shiny mmm ... it's a phat chromed tubular roll bar behind the cab with diagonal supports ... a line of airhorn trumpets across the roof ... *peers into other crystal ball* ... Norah Jones ... ooh sorry wrong channel ... flip colours -- bronze or gold & red ... or maybe something like this?

Posted Image

Anyway keep us up to speed please! :lol:
*Edit* Yes I know it's airbrushed but there must be decals or transfers or something?

#5 Turbo Tom

Turbo Tom

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 07:05 PM

If you want to do the paint you self, and not sprayed a car cefore, i would go for a straight colour. sdomething bright and larey mind. look forward to seeing it finished!

#6 Yeti

Yeti

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 07:37 PM

First thing, flip paint should stay on TVRs, if anyone else thinks diffrent fair play....... and that pick up, it looks like good work and im sure alot of time and skill was involved......... not for me. Im thinking of doing the top and bottom of the car diffrent colours and breaking the line with pinstriping or scroll work.... may look tacky is the worry. Also what the lowest you can lower a mini? I only really use it for fun and i don't mind doing work to get it to fit eg move the brake pipes etc. Im going to be doing some one off custom stuff so whats alittle more?

I found this picture, not these colours, just the kind of two colour thing.

[attachment=16959:attachment]

The list of things im going to do is a mile long and im cutting bits out to make it possible, just right now i want it on the road, when i drive this car i lose all stress and smile. The ford fiesta i have been given as a run around is utter pony for that.

Yeti

#7 gizmo

gizmo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 07:50 PM

here in US nothing can be below the edge of rim(if tire was removed) & they mean nothing if they look. even a chunk of wire. RichMk1

#8 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 08:41 PM

eh? :lol:

#9 * Specialized *

* Specialized *

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:22 PM

look forward to hearing more about this, keep us updated mate

#10 bert998

bert998

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 12:55 AM

I think a two tone paint job like that above would look great on a pickup, not sure about the graphics though. but then again might look fantastic, at least it would be something fresh. Good luck matey :lol:

#11 Yeti

Yeti

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 11:07 AM

Went out to carry on sanding (im on a tea break at the momment..... i run on caffine...) and did take pictures, but i have no idea where the cable is, typical.....

Oh plan if i went the two tone route would be to have really subtle graphics, those one above are too much, just its the only ones i could find....

Well back to the sanding i go (im covered in bright yellow dust....... and now the chair is and my foot prints...... :lol: )

Yeti

#12 Yeti

Yeti

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 02:35 PM

Right Picture time folks

This what i ahve been upto,
[attachment=16981:attachment]

*deleted this picture till i get photobucket or something*

I have been working on the drivers side and the roof has been taking me the last few hours with the sander and its not looking pretty see the close up......

........ this is a proper mess, it will take me days to sand this down. Im thinking of using nitromors (or what ever its called) to cut the time its taking with the roof, there is a small bit of filler on there, but that won't take long to redo.

The Front bumper lip is pretty battered where someone drove a pallet truck into the bumper :lol:
But im thinking or removing the front bumper for a diffrent look....

Rear tilt frame..... keep it or loose it??? any thoughts?

Yeti

#13 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 05:33 PM

I used paint stripper on mine and it worked really well,
got it down to bare metal in now time, and you can leave it and do something else!

#14 Feeble

Feeble

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 06:56 PM

Wow, I want one! :lol: Looking good! :P Flip paint would be different... :)

#15 Yeti

Yeti

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 07:38 PM

Now i have the digital camera im going to use it mwhahahahaa!!!!

*cough not in that way cough*

Right the paint stripper did a good job on the roof, not finished yet and im getting better at using the stuff

[attachment=16999:attachment]

I'll get it down with a few more applications then im going to attack with my trusty sander!

There was a bad spot here so i have started to feather it in..... may take a while with the amount of paint on there :'(

[attachment=17000:attachment]

More photos tomorrow after i have done some more.

Yeti

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users