timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:39 AM

Hi guys and girls,

I've been working on this for a couple of weeks.. It's a spreadsheet that people can use to calculate if wheels will fit on their car, and how wide they will need arches. 

An example of what it looks like with 10x4.5 reverse cooper steels:
14119161596_5ab133467a_c.jpg

With 13x7 wheels and 3" arches:
14162469013_9dce631c03_c.jpg

The parameters you can change are:
Wheel diameter: 10, 12 or 13"
Wheel width: 3.5 - 12"
Offset: Any number (mm)
Brake type: front discs or drums, rear flat or spacer drums
Wheel spacers: Any number (mm)
Ride Height (middle hub to standard guard): Any number
Arch Width: Any number (inches)
Tyre Width: 145 to 235 mm
Aspect Ratio: 30 to 90%

The tyres come out a little funny, as it doesn't take into account the rounded edges of the tread, and it doesn't take into account tubbed arches.

The front suspension diagram shows fitment to the hub and shock on the inner edge and the guard (orange) on the outer edge. The rear suspension diagram is showing fitment to the suspension arm, shock (red) on the inner edge and also to the guard (orange) on the outer edge

I need some people to help in providing some feedback on if the calculations make sense and if it can be made more user friendly. If you'd like to give it a go, PM me with your email address and I can email it on to you. It is an excel spreadsheet, so it might not work on your phone/tablet without an office app.

Tim

#2 HarrysMini

HarrysMini

I do not have short legs!!!

• Members
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:00 AM

Hi Tim, this looks excellent, something that has been needed for a while, I think.

If you could send me over a copy, I could try it out for you, as a fresh pair of eyes. My line of study and work is computing and mathematics, so I can try out some of the calculations.

#3 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:07 AM

Very good, maybe it could be pinned?

#4 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,412 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:38 AM

Looks great, the only concern I can see is copyright over the line drawings, you'd have to trace over a simpler outline if they are from Haynes or similar - even indirectly. Could it be made to run online, I expect there'd be some resistance to downloading .xls files.

#5 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:39 AM

That is a brilliant bit of work.

#6 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,996 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:52 AM

Hi Tim, this looks excellent, something that has been needed for a while, I think.

If you could send me over a copy, I could try it out for you, as a fresh pair of eyes. My line of study and work is computing and mathematics, so I can try out some of the calculations.

I've just sent you an email..

Very good, maybe it could be pinned?

Once I've got the spreadsheet sorted a bit nicer I'll see about hosting the file somewhere for people to view and download.

Looks great, the only concern I can see is copyright over the line drawings, you'd have to trace over a simpler outline if they are from Haynes or similar - even indirectly. Could it be made to run online, I expect there'd be some resistance to downloading .xls files.

The diagrams came from a copy of the AKD4935-1967 Manual. I'm not sure on the copyright conditions of these? I'd be happy to do a simplified trace of them if needed.

I'm fine working with excel from experience at work. If anyone has any experience in writing flash programs or apps or online viewing, and wants to reference it that's fine with me!

That is a brilliant bit of work.

Thanks. The amount of threads I see asking about rim widths, offsets, arches, spacers forced me to do it!

#7 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:22 AM

I like the concept, but needs some refinement IMO.

When I plug numbers into something I would expect an answer..

Is the answer, what size arches do I need to cover this wheel/tyre combination, or what wheels can I fit under these arches...

If it's just a pictorial representation ? If so, then when you select disk or spacered drum, then it needs to show the different arrangement as both these affect the track of the vehicle in relation to the body.

#8 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,412 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:57 AM

There's a good chance the drawings are still covered by copyright, but it only applies to the "arty" bits, like the shading.

It might be better to depict the front wheel from above anyway, you could then illustrate likely fouling issues as the wheel steers. Perhaps keeping the wheel depiction still and having ghost outlines of the other components at left & right lock would be easiest.

#9 HarrysMini

HarrysMini

I do not have short legs!!!

• Members
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:09 PM

Having tested this quite thoroughly now, I can say it is actually very good. 

I think it would be useful just to put in your settings to find out what size arches you require and whether there are likely to be any fouling issues with the suspension parts. If that is all it provides then so be it, there's nothing else like this available to use.

Also, although it might not actually show a disc brake in the picture when you select it, it does still change the wheel position accordingly.

#10 Milan78

Milan78

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 August 2022 - 05:05 AM

Hello Timmy. Do you host somewhere your excel calculator? Thanks. Milan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users