MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,700 posts
  • Name: Elvis
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:26 PM

The presentation packs did alter from dealer to dealer....depending on what they were sent

Signed Certificate from Mr J Cooper himself is very important ...like Tanya says the 500 register is a great source of info 

#17 hennasxi

hennasxi

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:56 PM

Someone called?   Prices of 500's and any final edition cars in top condition are high.   As stated, it all depends on the history, condition, paperwork etc, and prices can vary a lot, however low mileage is a strong factor in the valuation.   If its got everything a genuine 500 should have and is in excellent condition (by the sound of it, it already needs some work to stop the rot) 10K is actually a good price!   If its lacking some bits and pieces and needs some work (sounds like it may do) then you have to make a judgement on if spending a bit of money to make it A1 will be worth your while.

I rather like the 'poncy' interior lol !

On our Cooper Sport 500 website forum, I have posted (now slightly out of date) a list of the 500's for sale and the prices they are up for so you can see what people are typically asking for them.

I guess its a choice - if you want a genuine 'last 500' car, a bit like a genuine '59 car you will have to pay a premium.   If you just want a decent Cooper Sport at a sensible price, don't get a 500 !

#18 Clubber Lang

Clubber Lang

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:34 PM

I know the guy personally who owns it and he bought it brand new for his sister to use who sadly passed away a few years back so I know its a genuine car. He owns a really nice 60's Austin Healey 3000 and is not interested in the mini really. I saw it today and he asked me if I knew anyone interested in it and the Healey as it happens (which he has owned for over 30 years!).  I didn't ask that much about it at the time as I was too busy looking at the healey but he asked me if I thought the mini was worth £10k which he paid for it new!!! Whether he has the pack etc. with it I don't know and will have to ask but the car is definitely a genuine one. It is not absolutely mint as stated above but not far off and the mileage will be genuine.

I am not sure its the car for me as I have always had 60's mk1 and mk2's and currently have a 68. I think I prefer to see minis on 10"s so I would only buy it as an investment hence the valuation.

#19 mini-man-dan

mini-man-dan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,684 posts
  • Local Club: J19 Mini Owners Club

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:37 AM

Although you know it's a genuine 500 make sure it has the plaque and the pack. It's value will be increased greatly if you do have this due to the amount of 500 look-a-likes out there. 

And if you do get it, get that rust sorted straight away!

Edited by mini-man-dan, 16 May 2014 - 09:37 AM.

#20 Clubber Lang

Clubber Lang

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:20 PM

I believe these were prone to rust? why is that?

#21 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:37 PM

Although you know it's a genuine 500 make sure it has the plaque and the pack. It's value will be increased greatly if you do have this due to the amount of 500 look-a-likes out there. 

whilst this is deemed important, its the VIN that proves it

#22 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:53 PM

The way things are lately id say its gone up in value just in recent weeks! If you could get it at a good price then professionaly sort the bubbles before a thourough inside and out rust treatment its going to be better than cash in the bank, just make sure some toe rag doesnt nick it! :-(

#23 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:17 PM

whilst this is deemed important, its the VIN that proves it

For 500 sales, pack, certificate and plaque are essential, miss any of the 3 and the price will plummet.

Packs on their own will sell for over 500, I wouldnot touch one without all 3 If investment was my aim

#24 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:24 PM

I think you miss my point - all of these things are good and can increase the value, but its the VIN that proves its one of the last 500 and nothing else.

#25 minidizzy

minidizzy

Super Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC, Mini Cooper Register

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:58 PM

I believe these were prone to rust? why is that?

There are all sorts of theories. Some say the metal was thinner. Others say the shells were left outside in the rain before painting and assembly. Yet more say the paint finish was inadequate. I am sceptical. Some of the nicest Minis I have seen are MPis. I have an MPi and it has had no particular rust problems apart from the scuttle, which has been sorted. The only credible theory I have heard is that the windscreen is thicker on the MPi and the seal does not work properly making the scuttle very vulnerable.

#26 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:09 AM

You might want to keep an eye on this one to give you an idea on value

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1431.l2649

#27 Clubber Lang

Clubber Lang

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:05 PM

Cheers, I had seen it and spoke to the guy advertising it, apparently its not his but the owner wants in excess of £10,000 for it.

I have been put off somewhat from these newer minis after doing some research they rust worse than any of the earlier ones apparently so I have a feeling the couple of tiny bubbles/blemishes may turn out to be a lot more once I start. I think I am going to stick with the older stuff but thanks for everyones help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users