74 replies to this topic

#1 BradleyRogerson

BradleyRogerson

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:46 PM

yo! im looking into doing the 1.3 micra conversion and im tying to get hold of a donor car and iv came across a few but they have the NATS system and im under the impression its harder the do the wiring with this system, is there a way to bypass it? would it make everything more difficult? should i just stay away from nats?
i just cant seem to find a no nats 1.3 cheap enough anywhere
cheers in advance 

Brad 

#2 BradleyRogerson

BradleyRogerson

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:39 PM

anyone?

#3 ibrooks

ibrooks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Local Club: Leyland Mini Club

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:28 PM

Depends on the version of NATS.

The early version can I believe be bypassed as the reader just sends a go or no-go signal to the ECU by making a wire go to 12v or not. This is all anecdotal and I've no personal experience but I trust my sources so I'd guess it's probably true. I believe this has a box behind the kick panel on the passenger side - that box and the key need to be a matched pair, the ECU's are all the same.

Mine is a later version (1998 car). NATS on mine is part of the ECU so it reads the key when you try to start it and if it's not the right one then it won't run. I have the wiring detail and have it running with NATS outside of the Micra but not in anger on the road yet. The reader around the ignition barrel is just a reader and it's only the key and ECU that need to match.

I believe there is at least one more version which is also integrated with the instrument panel and without all three from the same car it won't run. A Nissan garage can obviously plug into the ECU and re-code it for a new key or set of instruments.

There may be others.

Fusion Motorsport also do a service where you can send them your ECU and they will remove NATS - or at least they did. Worth a phonecall but they might only be able to do it with certain versions so check with them that they can do it to any prospective cars that you are looking at.

Alternatively junk the Nissan ECU and go for an aftermarket one. Most will be able to handle the Nissan sensors and injectors so it shouldn't be a massive job but the ECU can be pricey.

Another option is to convert it to carbs of some sort. It's perfectly do-able and several people have done it with good results but a properly set up injection system will knock the socks off carbs any day for driveability, economy and power - carbs are always going to be a compromise between the three.

Iain

#4 BradleyRogerson

BradleyRogerson

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:26 PM

so if i was to just get lets say a 98 micra like you and i just installed it with nats, id only need to use the key with the ecu? and still use my mini clocks ect? or would i need the decoder around the barrel aswell? i dont want to go carbs because the whole point is for the injection, reliability and  mpg! ;) 

#5 BradleyRogerson

BradleyRogerson

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:26 PM

oh and thankyou for your reply!  :lol:

#6 ibrooks

ibrooks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:52 AM

Yes - I've needed to keep the ECU, key and reader from the Micra - the ECU and key are matched. The reader is just an induction ring that sits around the barrel of the Micra it's just a dumb part so whilst you need A reader it doesn't have to be the one from the original car. The chip inside the plastic of the key needs to be near the reader when the engine starts (I've been told that once it's running it can be taken away but haven't experimented with that yet). I'm going to mount the reader somewhere and attach the Micra key (with the metal "key" part cut off) to it or near it by some removeable method (Velcro maybe). My car will still have it's original ignition barrel and key to start it. So long as the Micra key is in place the car will start but if it's removed then the car is immobilised.

Once I'm nearer to that point I'll start looking at ways of holding the remains of the Micra key. If I can come up with something neat and easy then it will be removed every time I leave the car the same way the ignition key is but if not then it will be permanently attached to the reader and I just have the ignition key as security the same as usual. It would be nice to have it as an additional immobiliser.

Iain

#7 BradleyRogerson

BradleyRogerson

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:56 AM

i had that idea also even if i taped the key to the reader and hid it behind the dash so the key cant get lost, atleast now i can expand my search from just pre 94 which i couldnt find under 150,000 miles on. i agree an immobiliser would be great and good for insurance aswell just aslong it doesnt go off while driving  :lol: keep me updated on your progress im very interested, have you got a build thread? 

#8 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Local Club: south wales mini club

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:19 PM

I went down the carbs route and then swapped to an after market ecu with throttle bodies. I chose microsquirt its a stripped down version of megasquirt and does exactly what's needed no extra features that I'd never use. Total cost would be around 400 which is probably not far off the cost of the fusion Nats removed ecu but it does give you the option to map it as you want it.

When I first started thinking about using the Nissan ignition barrel and transponder ring but then the bike carbs popped up cheap so took that route

#9 BradleyRogerson

BradleyRogerson

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:41 PM

dont think i'll use an after market ecu as i want to do this as cheap as possible, might consider it once im all up and running smoothly and fancy adding some more mods ect. hopefully i'll have it done for mini in the park but thats if i can even find a 1.3 micra haha 

#10 ibrooks

ibrooks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:37 AM

Last I looked just removing NATS from Fusion was around half that price but.... they can also add a daughterboard inside the ECU that makes it a fully mapable system for fuel and ignition.

I don't have a build thread on here but I do have one on Leyland Mini Club's forum - it's not something I update religiously though. It's actually a GTM Coupe so I've had to do some things that wouldn't be necessary to stick it in a Mini (cable gear linkage and convert the Micra clutch to hydraulic operation are two that spring to mind).

Iain

Edited by ibrooks, 05 June 2014 - 11:40 AM.

#11 BradleyRogerson

BradleyRogerson

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:45 PM

yo has anyone modified and use the mini gear selector? instead of the micra, iv got a nice quick shift and kinda want to keep it just wondering if it will work well with this conversion 

#12 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:12 PM

Can't say I've heard of anyone doing it.
It would probably be more work than using a Micra item but I can't see why it can't be done

#13 BradleyRogerson

BradleyRogerson

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:50 PM

hmm thats what i thought, in all honesty its because my quick shift is chrome and fits my 8 ball on  :shy: haha looks good though 

Edited by BradleyRogerson, 17 July 2014 - 02:50 PM.

#14 BradleyRogerson

BradleyRogerson

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:40 AM

have you guys got a method of measuring drive shafts up? and did you use half mini half micra or just all micra?  
cheers

#15 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:08 PM

I used all Micra. I cut the selector rods in half bolted each half in to car and on to the box, lined the two half's up marked them, then cut and welded back together.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users