#61 sixtyeight

sixtyeight

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • Local Club: forums.minidriver.com.au

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:16 AM

how long are your bolts that hold the callipers onto the hub/upright...?

#62 buddylove

buddylove

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts
  • Local Club: SAMOA

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:12 AM

Standard length, but they aren't coming into contact with the disc.  I tried cracking open one of the bleed nipples to test for a collapsed line, even though I have stainless, and no effect.  My last thought on this whole thing is to swap the calipers from side to side to see if it has an effect, but I don't see how it could fix the issue.

#63 sixtyeight

sixtyeight

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • Local Club: forums.minidriver.com.au

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:45 AM

are the calipers straight vs the disc? the mounts on the hubs aren't bent?

If you wedge a screwdriver between the piston and disc, can you force them inwards?

Edited by sixtyeight, 24 July 2014 - 10:46 AM.

#64 buddylove

buddylove

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:27 AM

Checked that as part of my last checks.  The caliper is straight on the hub, the pads fit flush against the disc, and are not at any sort of angle.  The piston is able to be compressed back into the caliper.  The disc sits fairly close to being in the middle of the caliper.

#65 buddylove

buddylove

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:28 PM

Thursday, I discovered that the caliper was hitting on the back of the wheel studs.  I corrected this by using two flat washers per bolt.  I then bled the systems again on Friday with Lisa's help and started installing an Italian style sump guard.  I finished that install on Saturday.  I played with the intake manifold washers a bit more, but I am still having issues getting it to seal.  I "drove" the Mini down to Chucks on Sunday.  I probably shouldn't have as the Mini was plowing and it was not fun to drive, plus the tires were super hot by the time I got down there.  I won't ever do that again, but I do understand how to align the rack better and what to shoot for after discussing it with Chuck.  The Mini has Mk1 steering arms and a  Mk2 rack in it, so I will be needing to order Mk2+ arms among a few other boots and seals.  Thanks to Chuck for once again providing valuable insight on all things Mini.

#66 ribz0

ribz0

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:23 AM

Good to hear you sorted the caliper issue out... You have a great little beast there mate!!

Cheers

#67 buddylove

buddylove

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:42 PM

Thanks!

#68 buddylove

buddylove

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:55 PM

Still been slowly working away at it.  No pictures in this update still.  

Chuck sorted out the exhaust system over last week, while the car sat at his place.  On Friday and Saturday, I went over and Chuck worked on the carb, while I worked on the suspension.  He swapped out the HIF38 for an HS4 I had and got everything plumbed up.  For some reason the intake manifold wasn't fitting with the Exhaust manifold, even though they had been together before, so Chuck had to take a file to it.  I installed the bump stops on both sides, as well as new extended steering tie rod ends, and MK2+ steering arms.  I also pulled the left axle out and Chuck installed a new CV boot on it, while I kept working away at the suspension.  Towards the end of the day, we got it on all 4s and adjust the toe and camber.  The camber is sitting at about -1.25 degrees.  It is good enough to where I can get some miles on it, before getting a real alignment.  

On startup, the Mini was making a pretty good racket, it was sounding like metal on metal, and the fan seemed to be clearing just fine.  We discovered that the generator had a lot of play in its pulley, as in it was move back and forth about a quarter inch, and I could see metal scratch marks on the generator itself.  We adjusted the idle and and clutch, then I took it for a short drive.  It drove pretty well, though I think it could possibly have a bit more power if the timing was adjusted.  The brakes stopped it well enough, but the front left brake line is weeping slightly.  I am going to need to get new lines and replace that side at the least.  After that, I brought it home.

Today, I didn't have a ton of time, but I started working on converting the car from the generator to an alternator.  The car is already a negative ground car, so half the work is done.  The old fan belt is too long and I need to swap it out for a shorter one, which I have, but currently the belt isn't getting past the pulley and the engine mount.  It also doesn't look like it will go past the bottom radiator shroud, so I might have to pull the radiator.  If that is the car, I am just not going to put it back together till I get the replacement brake line, as it will be much easier to work on it if the radiator is out.

#69 dougie1142

dougie1142

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • Local Club: I.M.O.G

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:15 PM

Liking this! I'm picking up my first mk1 next Monday, can't wait to get cracking.

#70 buddylove

buddylove

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:12 PM

Good luck!  They are fun and a pain all at the same time...

#71 buddylove

buddylove

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:25 AM

Yesterday and today, I finished up the alternator install along with eliminating the voltage regulator that was for the generator.  I also installed the bulkhead pad, and air filter.  I will need to remember to get a gasket for the air filter plate to carb.  Lastly, I threw on the grill, and took it for a spin.  It is getting there, but I still need to shave down the right brake pads a bit, as they are definitely dragging still.

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

#72 domdee

domdee

Formally known as dominicdee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
  • Local Club: hull clubs on FB

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:42 AM

what a beauty

#73 buddylove

buddylove

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:55 PM

Thanks!  :thumbsup:

#74 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:33 PM

Nice looking mini there, Hope your not going to paint it loving that look.... :P

#75 buddylove

buddylove

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 07:04 PM

Thanks!  No plans to paint it, just do a matte clear on it eventually.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users