#121 buddylove

buddylove

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts
  • Local Club: SAMOA

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:02 PM

Stopped by Gunnar's today to talk about the plan for the wheel wells, underside, and rear subframe.

Paint touch up where the primer used to be. The intent was to not make it perfect, so that it will fade over time and match the rest of the car.

miniseven.jpg

RHD tank hole:

miniseven-2.jpg

On both sides you can see the rear wheel flare area. Both have had the holes filled where the flares were mounted and paint touched up. The same was done up front.

Swiftune Mirror Brackets and Bullet Mirrors:

miniseven-3.jpg

miniseven-4.jpg

Awhile back after the seat position was finalized, we made sure that the mounting position of the mirrors allowed me to see everything necessary.

Boot Area; the floor used to be fairly rusty. On the right side, you can see that it now has the RHD Fuel Tank brackets:

miniseven-10.jpg

miniseven-9.jpg

Interior; It's all installed now: The front seats have been lowered by a couple of inches, new seat belts all around. Rear seat belts were installed so that I can get my son's car seat installed back there. Where the rear seat belts would normally mount to the C pillar in a later car, a bracket has been welded onto the parcel tray and rear fire wall to insure there is enough support. Additional bracing was also put into the bottom part of the firewall where the lower seat belt mounts reside. The headliner was completely redone as well.

miniseven-5.jpg

miniseven-6.jpg

miniseven-7.jpg

miniseven-8.jpg

#122 buddylove

buddylove

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:01 AM

The supercharger kit showed up today. It was the last SPC1 kit that MiniSpares had for the 998. It looks like it came with everything minus the supercharger and the hose. It also came without any directions. I am fairly certain that the kit uses Opcon Autorotor twin screw supercharger, and I have one coming from Australia, so I am hoping it bolts up ok.

It looks fairly similar to this supercharger kit, which is more geared towards a 1275.

http://www.hi-flow.c...P003aSuper.html

Here are a couple photos of the kit:

miniseven.jpg

miniseven-2.jpg

#123 miniireland

miniireland

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:45 PM

I absolutely love the Patina of this car and the engine and suspension setup, i think it would look great with a period interior in red maybe

#124 buddylove

buddylove

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:35 PM

I absolutely love the Patina of this car and the engine and suspension setup, i think it would look great with a period interior in red maybe

Thank you! The original plan was to do a somewhat period correct red interior until I came across the interior that I have put into it. I still might do a red interior down the road and transfer this interior to another Mini. I was concerned that the red interior would draw too much attention and take away from the exterior of the Mini.

#125 miniireland

miniireland

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:41 PM

http://www.theminifo...-the-whole-lot/

#126 buddylove

buddylove

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:18 PM

That would be awesome, however I am across the pond. When I was quoted for getting my current interior over here from the UK, most shipping companies wanted around $2000 USD. I had a friend shipping a car over from Belgium and we worked out an economical deal minus the interior taking 6 months to get to me.

#127 miniireland

miniireland

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:20 AM

That would be awesome, however I am across the pond. When I was quoted for getting my current interior over here from the UK, most shipping companies wanted around $2000 USD. I had a friend shipping a car over from Belgium and we worked out an economical deal minus the interior taking 6 months to get to me.

Id love that interior myself

#128 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 19 January 2018 - 01:54 PM

Love the car, but I think I agree with the above, it would look better with a period correct interior. Maybe a set of Newton Commercial Cooper recliners up front. I think a 2 tone interior would look the nuts and be correct for that age of Mini. Good luck with the supercharging.

#129 buddylove

buddylove

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:33 PM

Love the car, but I think I agree with the above, it would look better with a period correct interior. Maybe a set of Newton Commercial Cooper recliners up front. I think a 2 tone interior would look the nuts and be correct for that age of Mini. Good luck with the supercharging.

I do agree. I just think it is a couple years down the road. The Newton Commercial Cooper recliners are exactly the ones that I wanted. I have a '74 Clubman that will be receiving the interior from this car eventually and then I'll be looking to do something else.

#130 buddylove

buddylove

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:17 AM

Some basic work completed today.

Removed the studs out of the head, in order to make it ready for the machine shop.

miniseven-3.jpg

Loosened the the big ends and main cap bolts, so that there is no issue taking it off the block when it gets to the machine shop. Cleaned the gasket locations up as much as possible.

miniseven.jpg

miniseven-2.jpg

The supercharger is sitting in Seattle, so it should be delivered to my house next week hopefully. It looks like Chuck has the 1275 version of my supercharger kit still mostly assembled, which should come in handy when we start putting mine together.

#131 dougie1142

dougie1142

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • Local Club: I.M.O.G

Posted 24 January 2018 - 05:14 PM

Awesome work, i'd agree with the seat comments personally. 

The patina is great also. I never even knew Minispares did a supercharger kit, is it discontinued now? Eager to see your results!

#132 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:47 PM

I think the seats look great! They should be a bit more comfortable long distances than the Mk1 seats and very easy to swap back anyway

#133 buddylove

buddylove

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 08:28 PM

Awesome work, i'd agree with the seat comments personally. 

The patina is great also. I never even knew Minispares did a supercharger kit, is it discontinued now? Eager to see your results!

Thank you! It has been discontinued for some time now, I ended up getting the last kit. The supercharger that I had coming ended up being too large. I am currently on the hunt for an Opcon Autorotor 1040 Supercharger.

#134 buddylove

buddylove

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 08:32 PM

I think the seats look great! They should be a bit more comfortable long distances than the Mk1 seats and very easy to swap back anyway

Thanks! I am sure they will be comfortable for long distances. After we put some miles on them and they get the wife's approval. I am thinking of getting them refinished in Red/Gold brocade to give it more of a Mk1 look.

#135 buddylove

buddylove

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 08:38 PM

Nothing too exciting for this post.

Ordered a couple of books that I should have bought long ago. They showed up a couple of weeks ago:

miniseven.jpg

Went to the club's White Elephant and spent some money. Decided I needed a set of 10"x6" Minilite's and bought a box of NOS parts. I might be able to use some of them on this build. I don't know what I am going to do with the wheels, but they are in decent shape and maybe I can use them on a future project.

miniseven-2.jpg

miniseven-3.jpg

998 pistons and Blue Dot clutches seem to out of stock everywhere. I found some +60 dished pistons and a blue dot clutch out of a Mini site in Australia. Hoping that they actually have them in stock like the website says.

Edited by buddylove, 28 January 2018 - 08:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users