12 replies to this topic

#1 miniweights

miniweights

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:53 PM

Thought this might be interesting to you rally guys. Apparently this has been sent out to MOT testers to decide what car is a rally car https://mattersoftes... ... rally-car/

#2 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:01 PM

what advantages is there to being classed as ‘modified vehicle’ for the MOT ?

#3 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:02 PM

Shouldnt be a problem for most genuine rally cars, its not difficult to take a msa log-book along to an MOT

#4 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:03 PM

what advantages is there to being classed as ‘modified vehicle’ for the MOT ?

referring to other done up cars without a valic MSA log-book "So if a vehicle like this is not fitted with original equipment items such as a brake servo, airbags or any other SRS (Supplemental Restraint System) equipment, it must fail the MOT test."

Edited by mini93, 05 June 2014 - 07:03 PM.

#5 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:18 PM

Not all rally cars are log booked though

#6 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:22 PM

Which arent? ones souly used for multi venue events? then they dont actually need an MOT then

#7 minispaniard

minispaniard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club, CMC.

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:36 PM

that opens a tin of worms... what about road rally cars? they don't need a MSA logbook!

#8 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:15 PM

Exactly. Road rally, historic, post historic....in fact any non-stage apart from maybe FIA Appendix cars.

#9 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:23 PM

I don't think an MSA logbook is needed to prove its a rally car....think an entry list, results or event photo would be more than enough to prove to an MOT inspecto its a rally car.

Besides, not really sure a mini rally car would be an issue as there isn't much in the way of SRS to worry about. Airbags perhaps, but how many 'modern' airbaged mini's are rally cars?

I recently MOT'd my other non mini road rally car which had its original airbag steering wheel removed and the ABS disconnected....passed no problem as i think the MOT bloke used something that is rare these days - common sense.   I appreciate that was before this new legislation, but i assume in theory it should have failed?

I'm for this new VOSA ruling - can finally ditch the ABS pump and loom and properly develop the car.

#10 keefr22

keefr22

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:19 PM

We had ours log booked on Wednesday. It was basically just a safety check that everything mandated in the Blue Book was fitted & fitted correctly. Admitedly this time it was just for sprints/hillclimbs, but the scrute that did it said it could be amended any time for rallying if we fitted the extra stuff needed - nav's seat & harness, plumbed in extinquisher, mudflaps, spill kit & harness cutters was about it. Cost £38 & I think that's a bargain today, especially if it gives piece of mind at MOT time....!! Did smile at the VOSA definition of a rally car having white door number squares. Most of the top events don't use those anymore as the top teams would rather use the space for advertising!!

Besides, not really sure a mini rally car would be an issue as there isn't much in the way of SRS to worry about. Airbags perhaps, but how many 'modern' airbaged mini's are rally cars?

I think the main bone of contention Dave may be cutting the bulkhead for a Weber box. There's a long running thread on modded cars on here somewhere that keeps on about that...

Keith

#11 ace01

ace01

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:52 PM

In my case it is the lack of rear seat belts that could cause a problem.  Fortunately my MOT tester realises that the car is used for motorsport as it has the full cage etc and scrutineering tickets if evidence was needed.

#12 keefr22

keefr22

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:16 PM

Which arent? ones souly used for multi venue events? then they dont actually need an MOT then

That would be single venue events - multi venue would have road sections. And I think they still need an MOT, just don't need road insurance. That's usually specified in the event regs though.

#13 pad4

pad4

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 05:31 PM

multi venue with road section certainly require you to have valid 'road' insurance and MOT and tax .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users