Photo
- - - - -

Don't Use Polybush Front Of Rear Subframe Mounts!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:19 PM

I know, I know everyone said the same to me in another thread ages ago but like a magpie I had already ordered them before the tales of woe began, the tower tops are fine as they are just the same as new rubber but wont fail so soon, the teardrops dont appear to move much anyway but the rear of the front to floor mounts are too flexible, I was still getting a bit of what felt like engine mount movement but I did those at the same time, OE ones and polybush bottom dog bone and polybush in my O/S ultimate steady bar done up tight so I suspected the flexible mounts, swapped them and with less than 100 miles on them the cush tubes have bent! What a waste of time, do not use them and IMO they should be removed from sale as they are not fit for purpose, I have a bog standard 998 driven carefully, imagine them with a pokey motor.

Pics.....

20140607_115335_zpsm77ty8c1.jpg

20140607_115254_zpszlij07te.jpg

I thought about putting large washers on when I fitted them but it wont make any difference as the mounts are really soft! It is not designed to put the lateral strain on the bolt like that, it needs the bonded plate to add strength.

fwiw I did not fancy solid mount.

#2 grck1

grck1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:30 PM

if you dont want soild just use standard rubber mounts. more than up to the job..

shame you had to find out the poly mounts are poo the hard way

got to the bottom off my knock. turned out that the engine end of the top stabilzer arm was slightly loose, all tight and no knocks now

#3 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:28 PM

Thats good news mate, I think I have found mine too, suspension arm bushes top and bottom at the front, more fun to be had, Lol My subby and engine are super solid now nothing is moving at all. The engine steady I ordered from minimine does not fit, I know they are a fiddle to get in but I am sure its not the right one! I love wasting cash....

Hopefully the next person will discover the polybush problem from this thread in future and save them the hassle!

Edited by CityEPete, 07 June 2014 - 03:28 PM.

#4 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:34 PM

I thought I'd add a voice to this. We bought poly rear front subframe mounts on some old advice about using them with solid top mounts to reduce harsh road feel.

I read this thread and a couple of others all saying that the poly rear mounts were rubbish so, as they are only ~£20 from Somerfords, I replaced them with some solid mounts (the car's not going to be doing a lot of road miles so I'll live with a slightly harsher ride).

And this is what I found when I removed the poly mounts, note that this  car hasn't turned a wheel:

nVt3BcT.jpg?1

Not as dramatic as the pictures above but it shows that the split tubes just aren't up to the job and collapse/deform very easily. Very glad I've swapped them out.

Edited by Icey, 20 July 2014 - 07:35 PM.

#5 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:17 PM

Personally I have never understood why a Mini enthusiast would fit poly-mountings or replacement rubber mountings on the front of any Mini.

The Mini's iconic status as a true classic car was largely because when introduced it brought new levels of steering response and handling. This came about with solid-mounted front sub-frames and it was only the change of target-market which caused rubber mountings to be introduced to suit the new target market of middle-aged ladies. 

As for poly-bushes the OP is absolutely right - they are rubbish.

#6 HarrysMini

HarrysMini

I do not have short legs!!!

• Members
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:28 PM

Personally I have never understood why a Mini enthusiast would fit poly-mountings or replacement rubber mountings on the front of any Mini.

The Mini's iconic status as a true classic car was largely because when introduced it brought new levels of steering response and handling. This came about with solid-mounted front sub-frames and it was only the change of target-market which caused rubber mountings to be introduced to suit the new target market of middle-aged ladies. 

What would you suggest for the rear subframe? Rubber? I don't think you can get solid mounts for the rear and can't imagine they would offer any benefit.

#7 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:32 PM

I always use standard rubber bushes on the rear and have never had any issues with this.

#8 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:56 PM

If you come to Minis from other cars (I came from Hondas and Vauxhalls) 'poly' components (typically suspension bushes) are usually viewed as an upgrade to standard rubber components. That the Mini was designed to use something different isn't information everyone has to hand.

#9 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:15 PM

Poly suspension bushes are usually good and do work on a Mini. The issue is the poly mountings for the front sub-frame where the poly bushes are carrying dynamic loading in a different plane, i.e. in pure shear.

Most people on here are Mini enthusiasts and this subject has been covered many times over the years.

#10 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:23 PM

I use either rubber mounts all round

OR

Solid front and rubber rear mounts

#11 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:41 PM

Mixing solid & rubber mounts is not a good idea. You should really have all solid, or all rubber.

There really is no advantage to be had from rubber mounts unless you like the less precise feel with rubber mounts. 

#12 Captain Mainwaring

Captain Mainwaring

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • Local Club: Surabaya Mini Club

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:59 AM

It's what you get when parts are photocopied by people who have no idea what the application is and even less idea (or principles) about producing something fit for purpose.

It's only a matter of time before the men from VOSA get involved with substandard parts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users