12 replies to this topic

#1 tom.cilano

tom.cilano

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:27 AM

Im about to respray my mini and was wondering what colour is best selling on the market?? Thanks in advance

#2 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:09 AM

I'm not sure that colour makes a huge difference to resale, in that people will generally buy the most solid/ best condition example available, regardless of the colour. (At least as far as standard colours go any way, loud non standard colours with limited appeal, such as bright pink will generally put buyers off!).

Personally I 'd avoid black, as people often assosciate it with being hard work to keep clean, otherwise with a classic mini you can't really go too far wrong with standard colours like red, white, blue or British racing green.

#3 Kieranlee999

Kieranlee999

I am mainly being a nutter from MotorNutz.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts
  • Local Club: Robin Hood Mini Club,

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:11 AM

I'm not sure that colour makes a huge difference to resale, in that people will generally buy the most solid/ best condition example available, regardless of the colour. (At least as far as standard colours go any way, loud non standard colours with limited appeal, such as bright pink will generally put buyers off!).

Personally I 'd avoid black, as people often assosciate it with being hard work to keep clean, otherwise with a classic mini you can't really go too far wrong with standard colours like red, white, blue or British racing green.

no offense but any colour is hard to clean its just that black you can see it more :) 

#4 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:18 AM

Errr and hence why people associate it with being hard to keep clean.....

#5 neon*girl

neon*girl

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:32 AM

I think it depends on the type of mini/ edition...

If its a limited edition I would keep it original, clubmans always look great in orange, the MK1 minis I would say original racing green!

If it a mayfair or something I would say red!

#6 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:11 AM

I will have to agree with Mr It.

As long as the car is solid I think colour wont really matter as long as it is tame.

There seems to be (in my opinion) quite clear cut favourites, Surf Blue, Old English White, British Racing Green, Flame Red, Almond Green and the later metalics like Tabiti blue amoung a few others but to me they are excellent mini colours and i think they will hold resale value well.

#7 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:18 AM

My favourite are surfblue, brown and Blacktulip.

Least favourite - black

#8 HarrysMini

HarrysMini

I do not have short legs!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:30 AM

I think it depends on the model. But I would say that car's original colour, or an alternative colour that was available at the time, would be the best selling, as it would show that the car hasn't been 'messed with' and is just a nice example of the original model/special edition. It doesn't alter the model's identity too much. 

#9 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:54 AM

it depends on what style yuo are rebuilding it to. If your building it up as a retro look, then the later metalic's wouldn't work as well, like wise if your going for a sportpack then you might be better going for one of the metalics (Although I love the retro coloured sportspacks). As a backstop, red is always a popular colour for minis

At the end of the day, the colour of a mini has little bearing on it value, it is much more a factor on how easy it is sell

#10 Yoda

Yoda

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Local Club: Medway mini club

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:36 AM

Red. Its definitely red. Its the fastest colour you can get. Why else do Ferrari use it? If its faster for the car, then surely it will sell faster too.

#11 MrIan

MrIan

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:55 PM

As long as it's not got rust patches it'll appeal to someone regardless of colour, after all it's a mini at the end of the day !!!!!!!!. But as said, in my mind though special editions stay original to be honest, 60s 70s 80s etc all in colours of that era. Unless you're doing it to keep in which case whatever colour you want !!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh n my 1974 mini 1000 years n years ago was faster when it was red than when it was harvest gold !!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by MrIan, 23 June 2014 - 12:56 PM.

#12 roughneckin

roughneckin

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:07 PM

For a classic mini, Italian Job Red scheme.  That movie probably brought out more mini fans than anything else and all of them wanted it exactly the same. 

And as stated before Red is the fastest color.  Even in a 1000 mini.

#13 rodandtom

rodandtom

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:56 PM

in all honesty - NOT brown. I am conscious that someone in this thread said they liked it but its one of the least popular colours of all time.

Other than that, colours go in cycles, what was in, then out, and now its back again. If you are doing it for resale then pick something middle of the road that's not too out there. Reds, blues, tasteful greens - all usually pretty popular.

Rod

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: paint

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users