well done to get all that done

#17 rodandtom

rodandtom

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:54 PM

So I have been rubbing down the doorstep and rear quarter panel. I've painted them with high build primer, rubbed it down and re-done it a few times. 

Here's the result. I don't think it's too bad.

I've also been rubbing down the front wings. I put a skim of filler on the various joins and so I've been doing a first rub down. I've got no photos of it as yet.

Rod

Attached Files

#18 rodandtom

rodandtom

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:44 PM

More rubbing down of front wings and inner sections where the wing joins the inner wing, re-filling and painting. Nearly done there.

Lots more filing and sanding of wings, A Panel, front valence, scuttle, rear valence and n/s quarter panel plus a small dent in the passenger door. 

Will try to get some photos tomorrow.

Rod

#19 rodandtom

rodandtom

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:49 PM

Started a new job so time is limited right now but I've been rubbing down, re-filling, and then putting a cover of etch prime over it to see how good the finish really is.

There are spots that had to be done on both front wings where they join the front valence, the o/s A Panel, the n/s quarter panel and a couple of small dings on the passenger door.

Here are some photos of where I am so far.

Rod

Attached Files

#20 rodandtom

rodandtom

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:48 PM

So, it's been just over a week while I was on holiday. I came back thinking things were all good. The boy and I fitted the driver door - all good - gaps looking ok. We removed the passenger door to see if we could make a small adjustment to the upper hinge as the side of the window frame was REALLY close to the door pillar. Sure enough there was a shim in the top hinge which we will remove BUT we saw more rust around the A Panel so it had to come off.

Look at the state of the flitch panel section! That's got to come off and a new piece welded in.

Also, the bottom of the passenger door is not in good shape. There seems to be some rust under the fold over lip but worse, the frame has a hole or two in it. That means the skin has to come off. That is one job I really didn't want to do - time to do more reading on the forum!

Rod

Attached Files

#21 rodandtom

rodandtom

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:14 AM

Hi All,

It's been a few weeks since I was able to get out to the Mini but I did purchase a new door skin and A Panel in preparation - another fine delivery from MiniSpares :-).  At my last outing I stripped off the edge of the flitch panel, cut and prepped a replacement piece and got it roughly welded in to place. 

So yesterday I brushed the dust off my overalls and hit the garage.

First thing, I stripped the door skin off the passenger door. After having read some excellent posts on here about how to do it so it was pretty easy. The hardest part was getting the door handle off. It was then time to inspect the door frame.

As I thought, all along the very bottom of the frame was rotten although it was mostly just the bottom strip that the door skin wraps around. There was only one section where it had rotted further in to the frame. I was going to have to make up some patches. Unfortunately I was going to have to do it in two patches as I didn't have a strip of metal long enough to go the width of the door in one go - bummer!

I then got to measuring and cutting. I tend to make cardboard templates out of curves and corners to make sure I get the replacements as good as I can get them. I got one side done and test fitted. When I have welded the piece in I will spend some time tightening the curve and making sure it's as flat as needed. I've also cut the piece for the other side roughly to shape but I've only shaped the outer curve properly. Patches were wire brushed and treated with 'Metal Ready', then etch primed. I've run out of 'Metal Ready' so I need to pop down to Halfords and see what they have that I can use instead. While waiting for Metal Ready to work I folded over the lip on the A Panel ready to slide in to place on the flitch panel piece when it's done.

Today I shall finish those patches and get them both welded in to place. I will also finish welding the flitch panel section and get that all ground down to look right. Then I can fit the door skin. The Heritage panel I bought seems to be a pretty damn good fit. I should be able to get that done easy enough I reckon. Of course, I am then in to the trial fitting and alignment loop but I reckon it should be ok.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Rod

Attached Files

Edited by rodandtom, 31 August 2014 - 10:20 AM.

#22 ToM 2012

ToM 2012

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:47 PM

Some work going into this keep up the good work. What's your final plans standard?

#23 rodandtom

rodandtom

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:03 PM

Standard'ish. Uprated the shocks a bit, had the engine tuned up a bit and I've gone from 12" to 10" wheels, oh and I've bought some Alpha leather seats for the inside which hopefully will look nice.

Paint-wise its going to BMW Mini Chilli Red with a White roof :-)

Rod

Edited by rodandtom, 01 September 2014 - 08:03 PM.

#24 rodandtom

rodandtom

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:45 PM

Hi,

Door Time!

I had to replace the lower part of the door frame right across the width. Unfortunately, I didn't have a long enough piece of metal to do the replacement in one piece. So I got it done in a few sections. Anyway, got the sections welded in, ground down, etch primed, primed and then top coated.

I also scrubbed the inside of the replacement door skin, etched it, primed it and put some top coat on.

Next is to trial fit it to the door, I did it before the replacement and the heritage panel looks like a great fit. So I will try to hold it in place so I can do the lining up with the new A Panel and door skin. A bit of fiddling on the way methinks!

Photos attached for those who care :-)

Rod

Attached Files

#25 rodandtom

rodandtom

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:43 PM

Hi All,

I think I am close to having the A Panel and door lined up so I can do some welding.

If you look at the gaps then it looks ok. I've got some tidying up to do and a bit of painting and then I will get it done.

Attached Files

#26 ToM 2012

ToM 2012

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:19 PM

nice work mate just a thing i do when i done my doors and bonnet lines i sprayed some grey primer around the edgings to see what the gaps are like i find it hard to tell when the panels are black and just a quick coat or grey primer or white primer shows out the gap lines... keep up the good work tho mate cheers tom 

#27 rodandtom

rodandtom

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:27 PM

Cheers fella. I found that out by accident today :-)

I had etch primer on the A Panel and hey presto - it ended up on the black door - more adjustment needed.

Rod

#28 rodandtom

rodandtom

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:51 PM

Losing some momentum on this right now but managed to spend some time on it today.

Got the door skin fastened on. I need to do more than just a couple of tack welds and tidy that up. I made a couple of small marks on the skin when I was crimping the edges so I filled those today and will try to rub them down tomorrow. I also treated a few small areas that I had removed rust from and got some etch through primer on them.

I have one patch section to add to the n/s door step so I cut and shaped it and welded it in. I've got to dress that weld back now.

I must keep doing something. I am trying to do a few bits each week. I have a list of things that I need to do before I can get it painted and thankfully the list is shrinking now instead of growing. I need one final push to get the shell ready.

Rod

#29 rodandtom

rodandtom

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 05:40 PM

Today I just did some tidying up. I ground down the patches in the n/s door step and then put filler on it. I also put filler on the inside of the new sill to floor panels to tidy it all up before painting.

I also rubbed down the n/s new door skin and got a coat of etch primer on it. I need to tidy up the tack welds on it and then it can go back in.

Rod

#30 rodandtom

rodandtom

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 11:03 AM

Rubbed down all the filler. I may need to touch up one or two spots but I did the rubbing and etch primed over the top.

Rod

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users