#1 baggiebird

baggiebird

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:09 PM

Hi,

I just wanted to share my experiences of Somerford.

I have a 2001 Y registered Cooper Mpi (must have been manufactured in 2000) which I have had for nearly 2 years.  It is a nice car with really good history and low miles.  Inevitably it had a fair amount of corrosion in all the usual places (screen corner and dash top, scuttle, A panels, sills, bottom of rear skins etc)

As I hope to keep the car for a while I thought I would have a front end refurbishment together with the other work and a respray (not cheap but don't ask!).

After waiting just over 12 months they were able to fit me in and the work took 12 weeks to complete.  I picked the car up last Friday and it is really nice.  I wanted to keep it as original as possible as it is one of the last ones out of Longbridge - not everyone's cup of tea but my choice I guess.  I have absolutely no connection with the company, but have known of them for around 20 years.  I was quoted a price for the basic work and then options and additional costs were discussed as the project unfolded - there are some things that cannot be seen until the sandblaster has done its work!  I was also supplied with regular weekly updates with photographs, which was useful.
I would love to think that I could tackle a rebuild myself but it might be a step too far - though I do pretty well all of the mechanical work myself.  Many thanks to Pete, Gavin, Mike and Karen  :D

#2 Richie83

Richie83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:13 PM

any photos of the work in progress?

#3 Oxfordshire guy

Oxfordshire guy

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:19 PM

I remember seeing the Mini World project Clubman Estate (Nigel) which was restored by Somerford at the 1994 Mini 35th event. It was truly stunning !

#4 Miniminx71

Miniminx71

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:56 PM

I'm popping in there on Wednesday evening to get some bits. Bit of a shlep from Cardiff for you but glad it was worth it.

#5 baggiebird

baggiebird

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:18 PM

Hi,

I have now put some photographs up, I hope to add some more.  The quality of the images is not fantastic but I hope they help :shifty:

Attached Files

#6 baggiebird

baggiebird

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:32 PM

Here are some further photographs

Attached Files

#7 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:43 PM

Looks like they do good work

Thanks for sharing!

Ben

#8 java gt

java gt

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:59 PM

I had my MKII restored by Somerford 8 years ago and found them to be a great company to deal with,not cheap but worth it and always on the end of the phoneline if help was needed.Their parts delivery time to Ireland is also better than any other Mini parts supplier I have dealt with.

#9 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 12 December 2015 - 07:59 PM

I know this thread is a little dated, sorry for that, but to add my 2 cents (which is our currency!) here.

I've only bought parts from Sommerfords as they are a little too far for me to have work done, but I've only ever found them excellent. The parts always arrive in reasonable time frame (sometimes even better than our local suppliers), prices I find are very fair and their communication is great.

Love these guys, just keep doing what you do!

#10 AlexMozza

AlexMozza

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
  • Local Club: Not Yet

Posted 14 December 2015 - 05:11 AM

We are in the process of moving to new premises :)
Much larger than where we currently are. Please see the website for more information! Gunna be good!

#11 Lucas1988

Lucas1988

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Local Club: Frome Mini Club

Posted 22 October 2016 - 09:22 PM

Got to say, popped into pick up various parts for my best mate, Josh's 1997 mpi, really helpful guys, had a chat with Alex about various bits and pieces the new place is really nicely laid out and easy to find. keep up the good work guys!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users