12 replies to this topic

#1 LowlyGent

LowlyGent

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:22 AM

I've noticed some variation amongst the arches that I assume to all be your standard width 'Group 2' arches and I'm wondering if any of you might know the differences. Most of the companies that sell Group 2 arches only include 1 or 2 small photos which aren't much help.

This is the shape I'd like. They are nice and narrow. You can see that the arch continues down onto the bottom rear valance. The rear arches are a nice narrow bubble like the fronts. I found a thread saying that Downton was thinking about selling a set like this that went down onto the valance, but I don't see any on their site. I'm hoping someone can help find a set like this. 

ebay718162.jpg

1450842_orig.jpg

And then on many of the Group 2 Arches that I see, the arches just terminate right at the bumper seam line rather than continue down. I don't quite like this look, personally.

800600001FE511C14-188B-34B5-0761D13E2B27

DSC00181.jpg

Edited by LowlyGent, 11 July 2014 - 01:35 AM.

#2 Jeff R

Jeff R

The Forum Lesbian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:13 PM

The top ones can be purchased from Huddersfield Spares, and fit to the same holes as the plastic arches fitted to later Minis.

Edited by Jeff R, 11 July 2014 - 02:13 PM.

#3 LowlyGent

LowlyGent

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:24 PM

The top ones can be purchased from Huddersfield Spares, and fit to the same holes as the plastic arches fitted to later Minis.

Are the Huddersfields that narrow? They list them at 2.5" and look to be wider than the ones pictured above on the Rush Mini. They do run down onto the valance though, which is what I was looking for. 

#4 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:53 PM

The expression 'Group 2' comes from the Homologation Papers issued by the FIA for international motor sport.

'Group 1' is Standard Touring Cars and Group 2 is Improved Touring Cars. For Group 2 a minimum of 1000 units had to have been manufactured my the original makers and sold as options. So during the '60's there were several different widths allowed for both rallying & racing. 

The wider ones were for racing where wider wheels with racing tyres could be used.

I think the widest Group 2 arch extensions were 2.5", but I seem to remember that 2" and 1.5" were all homologated at some time.

#5 LowlyGent

LowlyGent

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:17 PM

Yeah, I'm familiar with the homologation roots of flares such as this, but I'm struggling to discern which style arch each modern-day vendor is now selling as they've all simply been lumped under "group 2" sometimes attached to words like "narrow" "wide" or "racing". Since the 60s it seems like different companies have produced slight variations to the originals so there are numerous options available. 

The ones I'm after are the narrow variety and I'm hoping to find a set that extend down to the valance. The huddersfield arches extend down to the valance but they state that they measure out to 2.5" which, as you mentioned, breaks into the "wider" category of Group 2. The ones posted above on the Rush Movie Mini appear to be narrower like the 1.5" variety while still extending down to the valance. While I guess it could be the photo angle, I'm hoping to find a narrow set like that. 

#6 Jeff R

Jeff R

The Forum Lesbian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:25 PM

http://www.minispare...r-classic-mini/

#7 Jeff R

Jeff R

The Forum Lesbian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:26 PM

Ignore what they quote as the width, they are pretty much the same width as the Mini Special arch. At least mine were!

Edited by Jeff R, 14 July 2014 - 12:26 PM.

#8 LowlyGent

LowlyGent

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:40 PM

Ignore what they quote as the width, they are pretty much the same width as the Mini Special arch. At least mine were!

That's what I thought...the picture certainly doesn't look 2.5" wide. I appreciate all of your help, Jeff. Thank you.

I also found that DSN lists a set of Group 2s that are 1.75" and extend to the valance as well. 

http://www.dsnclassi...oup-2-set-of-4/

#9 mar

mar

Just On Tickover

• TMF+ Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 11:40 AM

Hi I Know this is an older post, but I am looking for the same kind of arches you were looking for and just wondered what you went for in the end?

#10 veloria

veloria

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:29 AM

Same here if you have any info?

#11 Benito_S6

Benito_S6

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 11:17 PM

Apologies in advance for thread revival but I don’t suppose anyone does know where you can get the same arches that are on the blue James hunt rush mini? Also does anyone know the type of minilites please? Cheers

#12 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 09:45 AM

Apologies in advance for thread revival but I don’t suppose anyone does know where you can get the same arches that are on the blue James hunt rush mini? Also does anyone know the type of minilites please? Cheers

I would say these are the wheels
https://www.minispor...lished-rim.html
And these look like the arches
https://www.minispor...s-set-of-4.html

#13 Benito_S6

Benito_S6

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 04:02 PM

I would say these are the wheels
https://www.minispor...lished-rim.html
And these look like the arches
https://www.minispor...s-set-of-4.html

Perfect mate cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users