2 replies to this topic

#1 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 04:27 PM

1) Are you running a metro radiator in your blue mini? How hard was it to fit apart from cutting out the front bar from the panel and welding in a crossbar? I take it you're not running a flip front?

2) What compression is safe in a 848, 998 for running a turbo? Whichever is chosen will probably be bored oversize (either +020 or +040), and i've heard of 848's running at around 12:1 compression (not turbo though).

3) What does one do if a turbo gearbox cannot be sourced locally? I can rebuild a regular box but if itll last a month, then I simply wont bother... Full straight cuts are not really an option right now :\

Thanks

#2 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 01 July 2004 - 05:26 PM

I used to run the Metro Turbo radiator up front, i don't any more as i have a big intercooler up front so i've had to go back to the side mounted radiator.
To fit the Metro radiator i had to cut the crossmember as you said, i then made a new brace bar. The radiator was then mounted off brackets on the subframe, it's not to difficult really. The car is not a flipfront.

Compression ratio is governed by what boost you plan on running basically.
The Metro Turbo had a compression ratio of 9.4-1, & ran a max boost of 7psi. This is pretty much on the limit as far as detonation occuring. As a rough guide 8.5-1 should be fine for 10-12psi, 8.2-1 for 15-16 & 8-1 and below for 20+ psi.

A Turbo gearbox is just a standard A+ gearbox, the only difference being that the first motion nose bearing is slightly bigger. Otherwise there is no difference.

Hope this helps.
Phil. :grin:

#3 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 06:04 PM

oooopsie... i think i underestimated then....

i worked out my CR to be roughly 8.2:1 give or take... and i was gonna run 4.5psi just so i dont blow stuff up. think ill have to wind it up a bit :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users