7 replies to this topic

#1 stevelane

stevelane

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:50 PM

Feel free to mock my stupid question but I need to check this before I find out I'm turning it the wrong way.

I need to remove the track rod end to replace the steering rack gaitors but can't budge the locking but either way. Should I be turning it clockwise or anti clockwise? I'm guessing clockwise to turn it away from the track rod end but just wanted to make sure

#2 Stiggytoo

Stiggytoo

Best Plucker?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • Local Club: CCMOC

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:59 PM

If any threads are exposed it should be fairly easy to work out which way to turn it

#3 stevelane

stevelane

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:34 PM

That's what I thought but it wouldn't budge and for confidence I needed someone to say I was going the right way, it's done now, after me pretty much hanging off the spanner lol

#4 Gerbil367

Gerbil367

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Local Club: GMOC

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:57 PM

Can I jump in on this one please??  I need to change my steering rack gaiters too as well as the track rod end rubber cap thingy - how did you go about getting the thing off?  I took the lock nut off the top of the track rod, but what do I do next to be able to release everything - please don't tell me I need to loosen all the ball joints??  I don't have a ball joint separator either - will I need one for this job??  Need to MOT by end of the month, but don't think it will pass with the rubber gaiters and caps rotted - sorry, bit of a dummy at this :-(   Thanks in advance, Gerbil

#5 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:35 PM

You'll need to split the track rod ball joint to disconnect it from the track rod hub. You can then unscrew it.

You can sometimes split the ball joints by winding the nut back on a few times and hitting it with a hammer but this can lead to damaged threads and not being able to remove the nut so I would highly recommend a proper ball joint splitter.

Ball join splitters don't cost a lot (I bought my first one for £8) and are a worthwhile investment. They aren't just limited to being used on minis so its one of those tools that will last you for a long time.

There are a few types. Personally I think the scissors type are the best as the reduce the risk of splitting dust covers however I have broken one before on a really stubborn ball joint.

There are the more basic ones that you just keep hitting with a hammer. Better to use if you know you are replacing the ball joint as there isn't a lot that can go wrong with them.

#6 Gerbil367

Gerbil367

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:30 PM

Thanks mate, I will order a splitter now.  I had thought I had to take the nuts off the top and bottom ball joints to slacken the hub off just to do this job!!!  Glad I asked or it could have been a mess :D

#7 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:21 PM

I suggest the following sequence and steps if you have not replaced gaiters before.

First loosen the jam nuts holding the rod ends to the steering rack.  You need to do this first before separating any other parts because you may need a lot of torque to loosen the nuts. (See the end of post #3 above).  Once you get the jam nuts loose do not turn the rod coming out of the rack.  Move on to splitting the rod ends from the steering arms on the hub (I am also a big fan of the scissor type splitter).  Once the joint has been separated from the steering arm do not turn it... not yet.  Swing the arm over to the side and if necessary, hold the rod coming out of the steering rack using locking pliers.  Don't let the rod turn.  Now unscrew the rod end and keep careful count of how many turn (and fractions of a turn) it requires for the rod end to come off the steering rack. Write that number down.  Replace the gaiter as described in the manual.  When you put the rod end back on, turn it the number of rotations you counted and fit the jam nut finger tight to the rod end.  This will keep your alignment very close to where it was before.  Complete the reassembly and for your last step tighten the jam nut.

#8 Gerbil367

Gerbil367

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:25 PM

Thanks, I will have a go at his once my separator arrives in the post - have a good weekend all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users