Photo

South / Midlands Restoration Companies - Recommendations & Experiences Please!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TMW.Racing

TMW.Racing

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:54 PM

We are looking to give our Mayfair the full treatment - blasted back to bare metal, any rotten panels replaced and then a fresh respray inside and out to get the shell & body into "as new" nick!

I've already found a couple of companies with comments and recommendations on here (namely Somerford, Blakehill and Fusion) who I will be going to see for quotes soon and will be very interested to hear from people who have used either of these, but would also be very grateful for any other recommendations, experiences and info for any other companies.

I am mainly interested in companies in the South / Midlands area, roughly within 60(isn) miles of Bicester, Oxfordshire but will go further if the recommendations say so!!

Thanks in advance :-)

#2 psmini

psmini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:00 PM

The Mini Hospital in Northampton are worth a look, they restored and painted my Mayfair and they are very reasonable and do a great job.

#3 TMW.Racing

TMW.Racing

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:03 PM

The Mini Hospital in Northampton are worth a look, they restored and painted my Mayfair and they are very reasonable and do a great job.

Ahh yes I need to call them - I did email them a few days back but not heard back yet. Do you have any pics of the work?

#4 Lennyliverpool

Lennyliverpool

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Local Club: northampton

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:55 PM

I have seen the work by the mini hospital - its good and if you are not in a hurry they are a good bet

After much consideration i have booked in my mini for the same full type of resto with Fusion near Towcester

I have seen their work and (apart from one recent comment) all feedback on this forum has been positive

Prices are good and (for me) the added bonus of them collecting the car is a bonus

So roll on January 5th when it goes in......and then 8-12 weeks later  :D assuming of course nothing goes wrong O_O lol!

In the meantime i will be busy looking at current forum members pics as they get done

Lenny

#5 psmini

psmini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:06 PM

My Mayfair was a light resto! only needed an A panel, scuttle repair and some other rust spots removal. I had a full respray, a new subframe, 7.5" brake conversion and hi lo/replacement shocks all round. Bob had my car for a month which I was pleased with! You're better off phoning him than emailing as he is really busy. The roof was fitted by a webasto dealer separately. Hope that helps!

Attached Files

#6 TMW.Racing

TMW.Racing

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:15 PM

Thanks for the pics psmini - looking very good!! Where was the webasto dealer you used as I'm looking to have a sun roof fitted as well.

Will definitely give him a ring as I've seen a few other posts on here praising his work, keen to go see them! Cheers for the info!

I have seen the work by the mini hospital - its good and if you are not in a hurry they are a good bet

After much consideration i have booked in my mini for the same full type of resto with Fusion near Towcester

I have seen their work and (apart from one recent comment) all feedback on this forum has been positive

Prices are good and (for me) the added bonus of them collecting the car is a bonus

So roll on January 5th when it goes in......and then 8-12 weeks later  :D assuming of course nothing goes wrong O_O lol!

In the meantime i will be busy looking at current forum members pics as they get done

Lenny

cheers for the info lenny, will be going to see them - it was their thread that made me think about getting the rest done in the first place!! Is that the earliest they could fit you in or did you choose that date? 

#7 psmini

psmini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:22 PM

No worries at all, so pleased with the work and Bob is a good guy. You're welcome to take a look at my car if your about, I live in northants. Got the roof done at Autoroofs in Leicester, dropped it off in the morning and picked it up in the afternoon. It looks factory fitted, headlining is a perfect match.

#8 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,128 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:51 PM

Possibly a bit further afield but there's The premier mini company in Wolverhampton or Surf blue in Notts

#9 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:52 AM

I'll add in Minitec in Keynsham. They restored my MPI for me a few years back and have just helped me get my other mini back on the road :)

I did ask Sommerfords to quote to do my MPI, but there was a 2 or 3 year waiting list plus when they came out to view it, the 1st comment was "thats a horrid colour", which as I had specifically gone out to buy a Yukon Grey Cooper wasn't the best start :P

#10 TMW.Racing

TMW.Racing

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:52 AM

Epic way to start a sales pitch - insult the owners taste!! Cheers for that, will have a look at them too!

Also cheers shifty - I don't mind going further afield if it's worth it so will look those up too!

#11 TMW.Racing

TMW.Racing

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:00 AM

I'll add in Minitec in Keynsham. They restored my MPI for me a few years back and have just helped me get my other mini back on the road :)

I did ask Sommerfords to quote to do my MPI, but there was a 2 or 3 year waiting list plus when they came out to view it, the 1st comment was "thats a horrid colour", which as I had specifically gone out to buy a Yukon Grey Cooper wasn't the best start :P

Also, from that I'd question their judgement as looking yours and a google search of the colour, it looks absolutely fabulous in my humble opinion!!

#12 Lennyliverpool

Lennyliverpool

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Local Club: northampton

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:45 PM

No my choice figured that i would rather get it done over the winter period ready for the new season

Plus its my daily driver so figured i would rather get it done after then before winter

Not sure what their waiting list is like...

Lenny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users