JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • Local Club: Exmoor Minis

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:17 AM

Hi;

As with most restos the Flitch Panel is rotten along the A Post, I have ordered a Door Jam and Flitch Repair Panel and from Minispares along with an A Panel. Although the one that arrived looks slightly different to the picture, in the pic it clearly looks like 2 x panels welded together, the one I received is all one piece?

Clearly I know that I will have to remove the A Panel to repair the Flitch but what about the Wing?? Has anyone repaired the Flitch including around the Air Intake without removing the Wing?

Can the wing be removed and refitted without being replaced?

There is also a hole in the Gusset Closing Panel that sits under the Scuttle, again has anyone attempted successfully to repair / replace this without removing the Scuttle if doing it from above or Inner Wing if doing it from below.

I really don't want to have to remove the wing as I desperately want to get this project on the road before I start cutting any more :-(

#2 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:19 AM

I would not like to do this with the wing in place, it will make the job very awkward even if you manage to pull it off. At the very least drill out the spot welds along the wing to flitch and try to lift it clear, but I would just take it off and replace with a new one.

#3 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:24 AM

Before you start, remove the top shocker mount and see if there is a hole there.

I wish I'd put full inner wings on mine.

It may be possible with the wing in place, but it'll make things tricky access wise

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rust repair

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users