6 replies to this topic

#1 Austin mini 30

Austin mini 30

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:12 PM

ive always had a problem with my fuel gauge since i bought my mini.

When i short the wires together the gauge shoots up to the top.

When the tank is full the gauge reads only up to about 3/4, the gauge works but always reads 1/4 under what it actually is.

It doesnt bother me too much but it would be nice to get it sorted.

My mini is a 1989 austin mini 30 (limited edition) and has nippon seiki gauges.

I should also point out that the sender had been replaced and it has helped but not enough, and that the temp gauge works absolutly perfectly.

Cheers Angus

#2 RooBoonix

RooBoonix

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:51 PM

Mine reads low too. I don't think it's quite a quarter tank out but it's not far off it! I believe it is quite a common problem, no doubt fixable but I think it adds to the character (either that or I just can't be bothered to try and fix it!)

Cam.

#3 RedRuby

RedRuby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:23 PM

Angus, mine is doing exactly the same as yours, reads about a quarter tank out, gauge goes to full when wires shorted out and new sender unit fitted. So it seems that the guage and wiring is alright and the new sender should be so Working on the theory that the voltage stabiliser built into the fuel gauge on the Nippon gauges may be at fault. There is a work around by bypassing the voltage stabiliser and fitting an external unit. I will be refurbishing my dash later in the year so will try to resolve it. If in the meantime you fine a solution let me know please.

#4 Austin mini 30

Austin mini 30

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:33 PM

Haha your right cam!! Adds to the character. Redruby, if I find a solution I will definitely get back to you, might try and get it sorted as soon as possible as i will be using the car a lot at the end of this year and next year to get about. ( just a bout to turn 17)hopefully get through the mot in November after an overhaul on almost everything

#5 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:50 AM

If the temperature gauge is reading correctly, the fuel level reading fault will not be from the voltage stabilizer.  Since you have replaced the sender and the problem is only marginally improved, it is reasonable to assume this is a gauge calibration issue.  You could have it re-calibrated.  However, there are a couple of things to check and consider tweaking before opting for gauge calibration.

You said the sender has been replaced.  I assume your new sender came with a new float and that the float is riding on top of the fuel.  Remove the filler cap and look in the tank with a flashlight to confirm the float is on top of the gas.  If it is not, then you are likely to need a new float.

Assuming the float is OK and that the sender is new and in good condition there is an alternate approach you can take.  You can remove the sender from the tank and slightly bend the float arm to achieve a more accurate reading.  The problem is that you won't know how close to full the bent arm adjustment has made the gauge read until you fill the tank again.  If the bend you make is "not enough" or "too much" there is nothing you can do until the fuel level drops below the sending unit hole again so you can remove it and bend the arm again.

#6 Austin mini 30

Austin mini 30

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:16 AM

If the temperature gauge is reading correctly, the fuel level reading fault will not be from the voltage stabilizer.  Since you have replaced the sender and the problem is only marginally improved, it is reasonable to assume this is a gauge calibration issue.  You could have it re-calibrated.  However, there are a couple of things to check and consider tweaking before opting for gauge calibration.

You said the sender has been replaced.  I assume your new sender came with a new float and that the float is riding on top of the fuel.  Remove the filler cap and look in the tank with a flashlight to confirm the float is on top of the gas.  If it is not, then you are likely to need a new float.

Assuming the float is OK and that the sender is new and in good condition there is an alternate approach you can take.  You can remove the sender from the tank and slightly bend the float arm to achieve a more accurate reading.  The problem is that you won't know how close to full the bent arm adjustment has made the gauge read until you fill the tank again.  If the bend you make is "not enough" or "too much" there is nothing you can do until the fuel level drops below the sending unit hole again so you can remove it and bend the arm again.

Thanks for the detailed reply!! you have explained that very well.

i think it may need to be calibrated, the new sender had a new float.

As i said it doesnt bother me too much just now as i know it is always 1/4 under what it actually should read.

If i do get it repaired i will update the thread and tell you ho i did it

cheers

#7 s3swiss

s3swiss

Passed Test

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:20 AM

as we used to say in the car trade years ago "they all do that sir"! I even switched to a new solid state voltage regulator, tried 2 gauges and 3 floats. Now I just carry a torch and look in the tank every now and then!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users