al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Local Club: Geeks N Freaks

Posted 07 September 2015 - 01:39 PM

Progress :

The wife got me a track day for my birthday. Blyton park so for the last month i have been flat out attempting to get the car ready for the punishment of the track.

Safety is now the biggest priority to me since the disaster i had back in 2012 with a zcars death-trap (see the zcars area for details under the forum of "quick to understeer then oversteer").

Roll cage, 4 point harnesses, cage padding and race bucket seats have been fitted. Plumbed in and hand held fire extinguishers now fitted :

IMG_3004.jpg

IMG_3003.jpg

IMG_3006.jpg

IMG_3007.jpg

IMG_3009.jpg

dsc_3018.jpg

dsc_3430.jpg

dsc_4036.jpg

Things learnt from the day:

It overheats - ignition timing and fuelling is still off so will sort that out first before attempting to add further cooling.

partial throttle is a pain. again might just be tuning but also could be throttle body is too big so there is no progression. its basically either decelerating or full boost and wheel spin.

Its mentally fast for 10" wheels - wider and stickier tyres are a must. Spins the wheels if your not going straight from 50 to 70mph and if you change fast at 90mph.

Alignment is key to speed, we only really had time to look at the rear of the car while at the track day but we changed the camber angle to -0.75 of a degree. this made a huge difference to the level of grip and tyre screech. 

How we determined it was using a tyre temp gauge over the 3 areas of the tyre. outer, middle and inner bit of the tread. getting the temp to be gradual and even across the tread using angles and tyre pressure.

Ended up with 37 psi in the front (when hot) and 31 psi at the rear.

i will ll post up a video of it soon.

#152 SamFoster

SamFoster

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 01:46 PM

That looks awesome! In the second to last picture, is the wheel rubbing on the arch, or is it just spinning up? 

#153 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 01:47 PM

its a bit of both! yeah i need to raise the suspension or stop to rolling i think

#154 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:56 PM

https://youtu.be/J0mlGpUQCoU

#155 SamFoster

SamFoster

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 10:12 AM

Great video, the car sounds epic! The speedo didn't know what to do at 00:26 haha. 

#156 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 10:16 AM

thanks! yeah the speedo can't really cope with the wheel spin at that speed :) 

i went before to blyton park in my zcars mini so looked back at the video of it, it was many years ago but the same layout bar the fact that now the track has raised curbs in places which does change your lines and slow you down.

Micra mini 1:28 fastest lap on camera.

Zcars honda type-r mini 1:25 (old circuit)

I have loads more power to come out of the micra mini also. tune is very safe and boost is very low. Im on 10" road tyres also where as the zcars mini had 13x7's with sticky yoko's

interesting i thought. 

oh and I'm not a fast driver really so the times are really quite bad. :-(

#157 SamFoster

SamFoster

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 10:25 AM

thanks! yeah the speedo can't really cope with the wheel spin at that speed :) 

i went before to blyton park in my zcars mini so looked back at the video of it, it was many years ago but the same layout bar the fact that now the track has raised curbs in places which does change your lines and slow you down.

Micra mini 1:28 fastest lap on camera.

Zcars honda type-r mini 1:25 (old circuit)

I have loads more power to come out of the micra mini also. tune is very safe and boost is very low. Im on 10" road tyres also where as the zcars mini had 13x7's with sticky yoko's

interesting i thought. 

oh and I'm not a fast driver really so the times are really quite bad. :-(

You driving the car both times is what's key though, as no one can say its down to different drivers. The micra mini is the way forward surely! With those sticky tyres I reckon you will nearly match the type r mini time :).

Now you just need to build me a micra mini turbo engine ready for me to lower it into my mini :D.

#158 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 11:41 AM

IMG_0086.jpg

I have reduced the throttle body size to 48mm, £12 2nd hand rover 1.4 / 1.6 k series one. this made it much better at partial throttle as before it was simply to big.

Fuel pressure reduced to 2.2bar at idle, 3 bar when not on vacuum. Due to this it now idles properly even with the 1.6 injectors before it would only idle very rich so and MOT fail would have been inevitable.

Decided to not go as crazy as the micra lot by going with a soft rev limit of 6700rpm,, hard cut at 6900rpm. it was previously set to 7200 but it sounded like valve bounce or something at that point.

we raised stock boost level from 0.46 bar to 0.65 / 0.68 (depends on engine / air temp)

rolling road went well, nothing broke!

so much smoother power delivery now, the torque is incredible!

I wish i had a print out but it wasn't the type of road that would make a meaningful graph like that. ill do a power run on at some point on another road to get one. I did get a BHP figure though.... 150bhp at the flywheel.

Believe me its fast enough! 

I'm researching stickier tyres.. I'm thinking a change to 10x6 wheels and A032R tyres. i need grip with all that grunt!

in other news i fitted Leather 2009 BMW 3 series coupe seats (full electric which works!) so while I'm not on track days so that its a calmer & comfier place to be. they are so good! 

Handling is getting there, so many changes of suspension components to make it handle well, currently it feels safe with a tiny tiny wee bit of toe in... controversial on a mini but its far better for accelerating with all that torque, it used to pull all over the road with any degree of toe out.

#159 jonny f

jonny f

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts
  • Local Club: Boxhill Mini Club

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:37 PM

updates?

#160 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:50 PM

Yeah...

I did some more fettling with the tune and took it back to another rolling road.

We used a bolt to the block mic to listen for knock, of which it did have some but you could only tell with that sensor. Very glad I did further tuning with that attached!

The problem was that I am now hitting the limit of the clutch but only on the rolling road. Driving on normal roads you can't tell its slipping but on the rollers it went every time.

New inlet manifold was made also just before the last rolling road tune. It make more torque now.

IMG_0462.jpg

IMG_0473.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0477.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

http://alreidy.dyndn...ni/IMG_0505.m4v

I also fitted an Oil cooler.

KAD 4 pot brakes and some A048R 10" tyres.

Then a rear anti roll bar.

I then took a break from the turbo build and ended up converting another Micra mini - Project Beige. which is now complete, not turbo'd and on the stock ECU I started this build with.

I then did another micra conversion for a friend.

so I've been a little busy!

Edited by al_reidy, 22 March 2017 - 07:51 PM.

#161 Simon998

Simon998

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:15 AM

Looks great! I'm sure it goes well too. Just don't be hitting any puddles if your air filter is located where I think it is. 

#162 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:17 AM

Yeah the location of the air filter isn't great but it's before the wheels so it would have to be a big puddle!

#163 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:56 AM

Liking this.

Did you do a build diary for Project Beige?

I am concerned about running mine on standard ECU with berating mods.  Does it fuel OK?

#164 alaskanow0

alaskanow0

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 09:20 PM

Can I just ask what clutch your using and at what Boost does it slip?

#165 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 11:46 AM

Can I just ask what clutch your using and at what Boost does it slip?

~0.79 bar is when I started seeing the standard LUK clutch slip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users