#1 Curley

Curley

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Local Club: Not MINI friendly

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:58 PM

I've been the proud owner of a Domino Cabrio since 2004. I bought the car as an unfinished project from a guy who purchased the shell in 1996. The car has spent most of it's life in one garage after another but last year I was finally able to get the car on the road. Happy days she finally hit the Tarmac in February and completed a rather painful 1300 miles shake down.

Unfortunately due to limited time and money something's couldn't get done first time round. While I've completely rebuilt the back end with a new powder coated rear subframe, all new rubber bushes and cones, alloy radius arms, hi-lo's, camber and tracking brackets and new damper, the front subframe is 18 years old and very tired :(

So I've taken the decision to take her off the road - let the road tax laps - and starting what I jokingly refer to misses as 'Project Falcon - Domino 2.0'. I've already got adjustable lower arms, adjustable tie bars, quick rack, hi-lo's and dampers, just the subframe is really tatty. Ultimately it need to be replaced but not at moment (there's a part of me that really wants a vtec conversion).

First on the list is all new rubber mounts and cones for the front subframe and two later style towing eyes with the front mounts - needed if you want to go racing :)

The car came with 5 very nice Minator 13x5.5" alloys but after driving it the last 6 months I've decided to put the car on 12's. I considered 10's but these would not fit without replacing the front brakes and drive flanges :( Once it's back on the ground I'm going to look at adjusting the ride height and correct the geometry .

Second, due to future plans, I need the space at the front of the engine where the oil filter sits. I've seen a lot of US based Minis and A-Series cars running oil accumulators, these help to maintain a steady oil pressure and provide a pre oiler function on cold start. I get the theory so figure on fitting a remote oil filter head, take-off plate and unions to the block, a check valve, tee piece and new hoses.

Third: Fit the heated front windscreen (been in its box for years!), new lower dash switches, gauges and dashboard. I want something really nice here it's what you're looking at when in the car.

Four: I love the domino, how light it is, how you can pull away from a standing start in 2nd gear, no rust :) but I do feel rather vulnerable. You're very low in a Mini and with modern cars I spend most of my time with other peoples big nasty looking bumpers at the same height as my ribs. After speaking with a few people and saving some money I've agreed to have a custom chromoly multi-point safety cage with proper MSA approved safety; bucket seats and 4 (possible 5/6) point harnesses. While the car had back seats fitted I never use them - once you've adjusted the front seats there was no use for the rear anyway - so it's going to be a dedicated two seater.

Five: Having done all that work under the bonnet I'm seriously considering a vinyl rap... all depends how much moneys left in the budget. I've seen a few in the flesh and they looked really good and much much cheaper than a respray. This way if you decide you don't like the colour you can peel it off :)

Oh and I've fallen in love with the Tri Pod P700 headlights. If they are E marked I would have to consider those and a more modern lighting that you can actually see and be seen we're you're going!

The roll cage guy said about 6 weeks 2 weeks ago before it goes in. I'm starting on Saturday and going to do all the work myself. Except for the geo but I'll get the tyre place to set it as I want. Plan is to take as many photos as I remember to do and upload some as I go.

Who wants to open the books? What odds would you give me?

Edited by Curley, 10 August 2014 - 07:51 PM.

#2 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:32 AM

Sounds like a nice history of ownership so far, intrested to see what it looks like, is it th one were you enter it like Dukes Of Hazard ?

Also how much are the P700 Headlights you're looking at getting ? CarBuildersSolutions do them alot cheaper than the current mini suppliers so something to look into, CBS's stuff are really for kit cars which require IVA'S/SVA'S so i'd more then put my money on them being E-Marked, give them a ring, very easy to talk to company.

I'l put your odd's at 1 out of 10.  Haha just kidding, I reckon you'll complete it with ease ;)

Cheers,

Cliff

#3 Curley

Curley

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:45 PM

Thanks Cliff :) I've used CBS before for all the dash switches and electrical supplies. Their catalogue is a bit rustic but as you say they are geared up for the kit car community and very nice people. I'll give them a call :)

Got the car up in the air and managed to get all the old mounts and bushes out. The engine, engine stabiliser and gearbox stabilises bushes where shot and the subframe mounts had delaminated and top mounts hard and brittle. Looks like I got them just in time: FI5Bvto.png

I've got the new top mounts in. I ran a little black sealer round the faces to the body to help keep the cabin water tight. The fibreglass bulkhead, as thick as it is, is a little to flexible for my liking.
ewzaUiR.png

I even found time to paint the towing eyes :)
wcIfQXu.png

#4 Curley

Curley

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:41 PM

Managed to get the new rear mounts installed. I put a little black seal on the backs to help keep the cabin water tight.

n95hcDU.png

While at it I sander down and re-painted the spreader plates

gbhBblE.png

However  :( I could not get the front teardrops to line up with the subframe. I've tried loosening the other mounts, sitting on the body work, or using a screwdriver. No amount of jacking the subframe up closes the gap. In the end I gave up.... I'll do something else and come back to it. I can't say for sure they where ever fitted correctly.

Edited by Curley, 10 August 2014 - 08:44 PM.

#5 creakyjaws5533

creakyjaws5533

My jaw needs oiling. Where's the WD40??

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:06 PM

Sounds like a nice history of ownership so far, intrested to see what it looks like, is it th one were you enter it like Dukes Of Hazard ?

Also how much are the P700 Headlights you're looking at getting ? CarBuildersSolutions do them alot cheaper than the current mini suppliers so something to look into, CBS's stuff are really for kit cars which require IVA'S/SVA'S so i'd more then put my money on them being E-Marked, give them a ring, very easy to talk to company.

I'l put your odd's at 1 out of 10.  Haha just kidding, I reckon you'll complete it with ease ;)

Cheers,
Cliff

Mini speed sell the P700's on ebay for £49.99 plus £4 P&P which is £10 cheaper than CBS ;)

#6 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:08 PM

Any advance on £49.99 ???, waiting for someone to find some at £30 :shifty:

#7 creakyjaws5533

creakyjaws5533

My jaw needs oiling. Where's the WD40??

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:10 PM

I've got £39.80

Any advance on £49.99 ???, waiting for someone to find some at £30 :shifty:

#8 Curley

Curley

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:10 AM

I spent some time on this over the weekend - you never know what you're letting yourself in for until you start... I ended up remove both the drive shafts as both the outer CV boots had holes in them (not impressed having only paid a bill to a very well respected Mini shop near me who claimed to have replace them) after only 1300 miles. The first shaft came apart as I'd expected but the second on was a right nightmare :ohno:  I spent best part of a day on this alone, no amount of heating or hitting it F'ing would get the inner CV ball race off the shaft. In the end I had to sacrifice the ball race and grind it off.

So yesterday a big box of parts arrived from Mini Spares and I was able to start to put the beast back together :proud: I had to invest in a cone compressor in the end and last night managed to get the old drives side cone out and the new one in, You can see the old Dunlop has collapsed quite a bit (but not as bad as some I've seen).

lFPd6FN.png

Edited by Curley, 20 August 2014 - 10:12 AM.

#9 Archived2

Archived2

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 06:11 PM

What happened to this project?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kit-car

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users