Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:40 PM

Even VW know about it though - remember that ad they ran a few years back with the sadly modded Golfs? I wonder if these owners realise they've just probably halved the value of their car. They might spend thousands but only about 5 people would be interested in buying it.

I sold my grey MK1 Gti to a 19 year old in a nearby village 8 years ago and thought he would mess with it. But he hasn't. He looked after it and kept it as a genuine example. It looks so much nicer than some slammed, blacked-out monstrosity that makes your eyes bleed.

I helped my nephew find a nice mk2 golf gti, he spent about £5k on 'improving it' and sold it 18 months later for half what he paid for it. In original condition it would have been worth the same as he paid. Worst bit was that he threw the original stuff in the bin!!!!!!!!

#17 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:42 PM

I bought a car when i was 19 that had been lowered on 17s and it looked pretty good......until i drove it.

I was constantly driving with a distorted look on my face dreading every bump. I was always worried about driving on the motorway as when doing 70 on a level section was fine but you would hit a slight dip and all 4 tyres would hit the arches.

I drove over to the Isle of Wight before i moved there in it and had 4 of us in the car and we was going down a bad bit of road and the tyre hit the arch and split the tyre.

I think i used to buy tyres every few months for that car. problem is, i couldn't really afford to replace all of the suspension. In the end i bought a set of those rubber things that you put in your rear springs when towing a caravan.

they worked pretty well but didn't stop it completely.

Never again!

Ben

#18 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:18 PM

If you ain't laying frame you ain't dubbin!

It's surprising how good the ride can be when it's that low...

And yes most are on bags... I'm just trying to justify spending a couple of grand for mine.. Lol

I've heard someone say that to me and then they later wondered how I could go round roundabouts much faster than they could with my standard 1.7 diesel astra mk3 (this was prior to fitting the GSI suspension to it) and how I could control the car when it over steered.

They didn't believe me the next day when I told them I hadn't done anything to the suspension.

There are scrape marks down the centre of my lane where one of my neighbours has scrapped their VW polo along it. He has to avoid certain lanes by me because of the dirt in the middle of them.

#19 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:35 PM

If sparks don't fly, your rides too high :P

Hope "slammed" dies out soon, then again, most of them probably want silly pointless air ride next just to go lower so doubt it. Sorry if this offends anyone, but it looks so stupid lowering it at a show

God I hate it :P can you tell?

Edited by megamini_jb, 13 August 2014 - 05:39 PM.

#20 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:44 PM

Hope "slammed" dies out soon, then again, most of them probably want silly pointless air ride next just to go lower so doubt it. Sorry if this offends anyone, but it looks so stupid lowering it at a show

bet you just love stretched tyres ;-)

#21 Miniminx71

Miniminx71

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:46 PM

and fake dump valves...

#22 surfblue63

surfblue63

TMF fantasy F1 winner 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
  • Local Club: MCR Newcastle & Durham

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:48 PM

I had a lowered VW Bug in the late 1980's. It was a laugh bouncing along on the bumps stops. Eventually the towing eye on the front beam got ground off and after replacing the ball joints a few time I got feed up with it. These kids will soon learn that it is a pointless and expensive exercise lowering their cars to such extremes.

Cal3.jpg

#23 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:51 PM

I had a lowered VW Bug in the late 1980's. It was a laugh bouncing along on the bumps stops. Eventually the towing eye on the front beam got ground off and after replacing the ball joints a few time I got feed up with it. These kids will soon learn that it is a pointless and expensive exercise lowering their cars to such extremes.

Cal3.jpg

That's high by modern standards

#24 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:52 PM

and fake dump valves...

How about those systems where you mount a speaker under the car and it replicates a 'throaty' exhaust note to match your rev range  >_<

I have never had fluffy dice. I rekon i missed out

#25 Miniminx71

Miniminx71

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:58 PM

and fake dump valves...

How about those systems where you mount a speaker under the car and it replicates a 'throaty' exhaust note to match your rev range  >_<

I have never had fluffy dice. I rekon i missed out

I had a Wackle Elvis that used to hang from my rear view mirror. MOT inspector must've been annoyed with it because I found it in a crumple on the rear shelf. Didn't just take him down but lobbed him backwards. Taught me.

#26 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:02 PM

Been there, done that, embarrassed much :lol:

See I'm allowed to hate on all this as I've been there before >_< I was only 18 mind. I think it's the most stupidest thing now though

#27 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:06 PM

I find it weird if I am honest. We did stupid stuff and ruined cars but it was always in an attempt to improve them. I fitted twin 40s to an otherwise standard 2.0l Capri and wondered why it didn't go any faster but was doing less than 10mpg. We squeezed the widest possible tyres we could onto standard rims, I had 225r13s on laser alloys! They looked like dune buggy tyres, but it was always to make it GO better, not LOOK better and that's the difference to me. But then I am not a polish and paint guy at the best of times.

#28 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:13 PM

I did some silly mods to my first car.

It was a Citroen AX 11TRE so top of the range! It had a GT interior, GT alloy wheels which used to scrub badly on the non flared rear arches.

I had bucket seats in it at one point, a 4" peco back box Then i flushed the tailgate and fitted a later bumper and loads of other stupid stuff.

Thing is though, i spent quite alot of money but i always thought it drove better as standard and wished i had left it like that. Especially the stupid exhaust which was on the car only a few days because i couldn't stand the sound of it.

Towards the end, i drove round in it with GT bumpers and arch trims combined with 13" steels with cheap wheel trims from the local motor factor.

It looked hideous but at least it drove well.

I ruined that car so i know what Jamie is on about when he says he loved all this mod stuff and now hates it, Because i do too.

There is a chap near me with a 206 that is lowered to the deck with rubbish FG bodykit etc on it. He must have spent thousands and thousands on it and what's it worth now? £800? and who would buy it?

Ben

#29 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:40 PM

Thankfully was only in the "scene" for a few months while I owned a Lupo. When I first bought one of my civics, that was on 15" genuine BBS RMs with stretched tyres, neg camber arms front & back, £800 coilovers, "stanced and tucked" as they say ;D plus loads of Jap tarty bits. Now it's 100% stock and all the parts money was well spent ^_^ on mini of course! Like always >_<

Edited by megamini_jb, 13 August 2014 - 06:41 PM.

#30 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:44 PM

Well 99% stock. Still got a "sump scraper, bump hater" sticker on the back :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users