292 replies to this topic

#31 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:11 PM

On the upside, it can be really quite amusing to watch them trying to get over speed bumps though!

Oh indeed! I saw a plonker going on to a cross channel ferry in a slammed GTI golf - very amusing.

Car designers spend millions of pounds designing and developing cars and along comes "Wayne" with his Halfrauds socket set and thinks he can make it better / faster / lower!

Edited by surfblue, 13 August 2014 - 07:18 PM.

#32 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:37 PM

On the upside, it can be really quite amusing to watch them trying to get over speed bumps though!

Oh indeed! I saw a plonker going on to a cross channel ferry in a slammed GTI golf - very amusing.

Car designers spend millions of pounds designing and developing cars and along comes "Wayne" with his Halfrauds socket set and thinks he can make it better / faster / lower!

I have reached my limit for likes today so this will have to do

Ben_O likes this  :lol:

#33 Ripple

Ripple

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:15 PM

I can't see the harm if it's not dangerous. Life would sure be dull if we all liked the same things.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure there is a "Stance" thread around here somewhere with loads of slammed minis and we don't berate them, why are we doing it here just because it's a different manufacturer?

#34 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:23 PM

I can't see the harm if it's not dangerous. Life would sure be dull if we all liked the same things.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure there is a "Stance" thread around here somewhere with loads of slammed minis and we don't berate them, why are we doing it here just because it's a different manufacturer?

nope, they do get berated. Some like them some don't. And the issue for many people is that it can be dangerous. But each to their own and as we are tolerant to those who like that, we are equally tolerant to those who don't.

#35 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:29 PM

I forgot I was one of the main contributors in the MINI thread :lol: >_< they do suit it really well though! But like I said in MINI thread before, I personally would never do it once I get a MINI.

Edited by megamini_jb, 13 August 2014 - 09:31 PM.

#36 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:34 PM

Still can't see why anyone would take a car which probably drives, steers and corners reasonably well, then lower it so that it is totally unfit for purpose -  for any purpose really - because it is too low to drive at any sort of normal speed, will not go over bumps, won't steer because the suspension is on the bump stops, has screwed up steering geometry and looks b****y silly.

I must be missing something, but then I'm just a simple engineer.

#37 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:37 PM

You're absolutely right Cooperman! Mainly for looks is pretty stupid, as like you say, it ruins the ride and car. My Lupo drove like crap with banded wheels, camber etc, but I liked the look of it which was kind of dumb when you think about it.

Same goes for minis.
I spent like £500 just on suspension upgrades recently for my mini as I had it on some split rims and they don't suit minis which haven't been lowered, hence buying the suspension upgrades. I hated it lowered so I put the 10x5 wheels I had on previously back on just so I could raise the suspension to standard again :P waste of money I suppose, but it's what we each personally like.

For me now, lowered cars (mainly vdubs), air ride, camber etc looks and is crap.

Edited by megamini_jb, 13 August 2014 - 10:37 PM.

#38 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:40 PM

Still can't see why anyone would take a car which probably drives, steers and corners reasonably well, then lower it so that it is totally unfit for purpose -  for any purpose really - because it is too low to drive at any sort of normal speed, will not go over bumps, won't steer because the suspension is on the bump stops, has screwed up steering geometry and looks b****y silly.

I must be missing something, but then I'm just a simple engineer.

As i said above, i bought a 190E that had been lowered with big wheels and compared to the 190E 2.6 i had before it, it was rubbish. Sure it looked better ( I think they suit a lower ride height) but it just didn't drive as well and i never had the money to replace the suspension with something more suitable.

My 2.6 was stupidly high but that was because the springs had been replaced but it drove and handled like an absolute dream compared to the lowered one which was always scraping and knocking. It was actually not that fun to drive most of the time

#39 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:00 PM

Here is the little darling.

despite the scraping and endless knackard tyres, i loved it.

I think this was taken the only time it wasn't spotless  >_<  but it shows how bad it was

Attached Files

#40 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:12 PM

See I think that looks awesome Ben.

Hmm I think it's just vdubs in general I hate :P

Edited by megamini_jb, 13 August 2014 - 10:13 PM.

#41 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:14 PM

It was really great. I miss it loads.

would have it back in a heartbeat but just improve the suspension!

#42 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:15 PM

I mock cars that have been lowered so much that they scrape on the floor, that have stretched tyres and so much camber that they ruin a set of tyres every 500 miles but I did just fit a set of Eibach springs to my Vectra earlier today  :whistling:.

I can however get over speed bumps, over the kerb of my driveway and the stiffer rear springs do make it feel much better. The Vectra also has adjustable camber bolts so I will be getting it all set up again correctly. They are also a vast improvement over the mismatched set that were on the car before hand. Just need to swap the mismatched shocks out as well (one OEM on one side and a monroe on the other).

#43 Badboytunes

Badboytunes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts
  • Local Club: MINIS Unleashed

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:15 AM

I like the "look" of most lowered cars if they are done correct. I even like stretched rubber to a point. Personally I wouldnt own a car with stretched tyres but lowing a car a reasonable amount does improve handling sumwhat by lowering the centre of gravity. For example, my stock MINI One has huge "gap" in the arches as set by the manufacturer. My mrs's MINI Coupe is JCW spec and has MINI challenge srpings on it which are 2 inches lower.My car handles really well in the bends but the Coupe is soooooo much better and more reassuring on the limit.

my mate has just sold his modded golf as at 34 he is "too old " to be bounced around as the car was on really hard coilovers. That said, with the charged vr lump lowered suspension and big brakes, it went, stopped and handles really , really well. I think it looked good too. sometimes people go a little bit too far. However, the VW scene is huge and I reckon "stance" is here to stay......

Attached Files

#44 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:28 AM

Mk2 golf drivers are officially the worst for lowering. You know it's bad when you see more lowered mk2's than standard... which I do! :P

#45 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:53 AM

narrowing of the front wheel base also puzzles me

if you like your front wheels so far in you can't see them buy a Robin Reliant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users