106 replies to this topic

#1 roadhouse

roadhouse

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:50 PM

I've been lurking on the forum for a bit, drooling over everyone else's motorbike build threads and decided it was time to start one myself.   :D

My wife and I decided to build a 1960 Austin Mini together for her to use as a track toy/fun weekend car. I have a Ford Mustang that I track pretty frequently and she wanted to join in on the fun with a car of her own, and she picked out a mini. Being in the U.S., we didn't have a ton of options for project cars so when we found this MK1 we decided to jump on it. We purchased the car as a bare shell with subframes and other various parts with the plan to build most of the car with new parts. As of right now the shell is in the body shop getting worked on and we hope to have it back by the end of the year. While at the shop if will be media blasted, body dents worked out, filler metal welded in, arches cut, and the whole car will be painted. We have started acquiring various suspension parts over the last few months in preparation for when the subframes get back from being blasted and painted. We also bought an '03 Yamaha R1 engine today so we're moving in the right direction!

Our plan is to go with the LynxAE R1 kit once we get the body back and the suspension sorted out. I've looked over a few build threads using the kit and I'm pretty impressed with the build quality. We will be keeping the exterior appearance relatively stock, save for 7x13 wheels and flares. The car will be converted to RHD and the interior will be bare-bones as this will see quite a bit of track time. My wife is set on the car being painted teal with a white roof and white bonnet stripes, but you know how that could change, lol. We're looking forward to building this together and chronicling the journey here. This is our first time working with a mini so I'm sure we'll have some hiccups along the way. 

Here is my wife with her car the day we picked it up

20140419_170439_zpstgkssqir.jpg

Here's the mini next to my mustang...it's so small

20140420_174906_zpslnkgykr8.jpg

At the shop after the exterior had been blasted. The interior will be chemical stripped by hand. The floor was replaced by the previous owner and he did an awesome job!. Perfect welds and just a clean job overall. 

20140720_133408_zpsdpb5c5yq.jpg

7x13 JBW Rallye wheels

20140719_191911_zps5n5bb07v.jpg

I thought this was a funny picture... tires for the mini next a set of race tires for the mustang  O_O

20140423_212645_zps8cj5ou6f.jpg

Race seat testing. I had a seat rail break in my mustang so we went to see if it fit mini. 

20140519_202248_zpsswpgn5a2.jpg

Edited by roadhouse, 14 August 2014 - 09:36 PM.

#2 roadhouse

roadhouse

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:25 PM

Original speedo and wiring harness. Still looks good, huh?? 

10300323_10101843155952662_8963245078282

#3 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:41 PM

Looking good!

Is that floor fabricated by hand?

Ben

#4 roadhouse

roadhouse

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:01 PM

Thanks Ben_O! 

Honestly I'm not sure. My first thought was that the previous owner used a pre-formed kit but it may be hand fabricated. Either way I'm happy with it. 

#5 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:29 PM

That's all that matters, I just noticed it was an unusual shape and made me wonder.

Ben

#6 roadhouse

roadhouse

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:19 AM

The original floors are not completely flat on the bottom, correct? If so I guess it's a custom fab job.

#7 Rogue Se7ens

Rogue Se7ens

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:15 PM

Great find, anxious to see how your project progresses.  I'm sure your wife will have great fun in her Mini.  Always good to see projects like this in the States.  Love the tire stacks, everyone knows the Mini is small but when you do comparisons like that it really stands out.

#8 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: Independent

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:27 PM

YOu're a lucky man having a wife who wants to build a car with you!  My girlfriend just smiles and leaves me to it :lol:

#9 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:21 PM

YOu're a lucky man having a wife who wants to build a car with you!  My girlfriend just smiles and leaves me to it :lol:

Mine says, I am never going in that Mini when it is finished.

I guess she doesn't like Mini's then......

.....oh well  :shades:

#10 roadhouse

roadhouse

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:19 PM

Definitely lucky to have a gearhead wife! 

At least she smiles  :D

#11 roadhouse

roadhouse

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:29 PM

Here is some footage of my "home" track, Hallett Motor Racing Circuit, that I usually race at. We live about 40 miles away and I try to get over there at least once a month with the mustang when the weather is nice. It's not wheel-to-wheel racing but more like time trials. There is passing on the straights but not in the corners. This track is pretty technical with some nice elevation change. We have a long way to go but I'm already pumped to see the Mini out there doing the same thing...

Don't mind me sliding off the track at the end of the video...came in too hot and understeered right off. 

Edited by roadhouse, 15 August 2014 - 06:31 PM.

#12 roadhouse

roadhouse

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:23 PM

So after doing a little research, it appears that the '03-'05 R6 instrument cluster is the same as the '02-'03 R1 cluster, save for a few wiring differences. R1 clusters for sale on ebay/CL/salvage yards were pretty limited and prices were high ($275). I was able to find an R6 cluster for $80 in good shape so I decided to jump on it. I'll need to change out the face plate (cheap) for one that is specific to the R1 (redline is higher for the newer R6 than the older R1) but that should be easy. I've found a few write-ups on swapping bike instrument clusters and the wiring changes look pretty simple, even for someone like me. 

_57_zps9a99af5b.jpg

#13 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:45 PM

I did the same thing until I was able to track down a well priced R1 dash. The r6 ones light orange IIRC and look pretty smart.

#14 roadhouse

roadhouse

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 05:07 PM

I did the same thing until I was able to track down a well priced R1 dash. The r6 ones light orange IIRC and look pretty smart.

Yeah I just read through your build thread and saw that. Looks good! Although, now I'm thinking that even if I change the face to that of an R1 it still may read incorrectly and as if the R6 face is still there unless I can change the calibration. Not sure, may have to play around with it later on down the road. You've done a fantastic job on your mini! Hope you can get everything straightened out real quick.

Edited by roadhouse, 16 August 2014 - 05:15 PM.

#15 Islandstar

Islandstar

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:04 PM

Looking good!

Is that floor fabricated by hand?

Ben

Was gonna ask the same question, as the tunnel is square!!! I'll be watching this closely as I need all the inspiration I can with my basketcase, and as getting parts here to Barbados is VERY expensive, think we'll have to do a lot of hand fabrication.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users