Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:21 AM

Mini city

Hi all.
I have a massively annoying, slightly worrying question.
I recently rebuilt my rear subframe. Well actually in May just before L2B.
New subframe newly rebuilt drums, radius arms and all fitted with a new subframe mounting kit.

In the last 2 weeks she has a irritating squeaking sound coming from the rear on less then ideal roads.

Has anyone got any idea what it could be ?

Thanks all
Theo

#2 exuptoy

exuptoy

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:20 AM

Just the donuts maybe? Rubber!

#3 Mrt88

Mrt88

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:25 AM

I hope not. There only 2 years old could they be gone already. Could my new radius arms need a grease topup ?

#4 superman

superman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Local Club: Dorset Mini Club

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:00 PM

My guess would be the knuckle joint either dried out or the plastic cup split a simple fix

Colin 

#5 Mini_25_Luke

Mini_25_Luke

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:35 PM

when you say it squeeks is it just a one off and then its silent or constant

#6 Mrt88

Mrt88

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:40 AM

HI all 

thanks for the replies. 

It's not a constant noise, it happens every now and then. On smooth roads there is no sound at all. 

I've just got a grease gun so i will fill the radius arms tonight and check the shocks. 

Hopefully its not the knuckle joints or cups as there brand new.  

I'll check everything is nice and tight too. 

Is there anything else i should look out for ? 

#7 Mini_25_Luke

Mini_25_Luke

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:20 AM

On my mini I have the same sought of noise but I only get it when you first use it, so I tightened everything and used a grease gun to grease it all and it stopped making the sound however after a week it came back again so I just think I'll have to live with it. I would make sure everything gets a good greasing, check that all the mounts are tight, double check that the actual radius arm moves up and down by getting the mini on stands and use the jack to jack the radius arm up and make sure that the movement going up  and down is smooth, by doing this you will ensure that the grease gets in the joint between the shaft and the inside of the radius arm and that the actual radius arm is moving on the shaft and not seized. when you grease anything make sure that some grease does come out of the joint and carry on until the grease looks new. also spray the donut with some WD40 especially the joint between the donut and cone. 

Edited by Mini_25_Luke, 21 August 2014 - 10:23 AM.

#8 Fossy313

Fossy313

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:52 AM

i have these exact same symptims and its driving me bonkers, i have a feeling its the dohnut as its a proper rubber noise but cant figure it out, im going to check tyre pressure as well and siome WD40 on the dohnuts and it may be something again i may have to live with.

#9 Lincsminbin

Lincsminbin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:53 AM

I had a similar problem earlier in the year - For me it was an annoying 'squeak' coming from the front right. I check / rechecked all the mountings and parts (including the subframe and engine) and greased everything to death to no avail.

In the end, in a moment of utter desperation, I decided to swap the shocks from side to side (I'd checked their operation previously, they moved smoothly, with no lumps and they looked fine) and lo and behold - the sound moved :lol:

Soo... I had another look at them - All good, the rubber mounts were sound - hmmm..... In the interests of thoroughness (and mostly because I had some) I smeared some red rubber grease on the rubber bushes at the top and bottom and re-installed the shocks and hey-presto - sound gone altogether. This fix only lasted a few miles, but it proved what the problem was and a few quid later with a new set of shiny front shocks, all is well! :lol:

>>In short, it may be worth swapping the shocks side to side to check the bushes even if they look good

Just have to sort out the 100 other clicks, groans and squeak’s now

#10 Mini_25_Luke

Mini_25_Luke

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:48 PM

Be generous with the WD40 spray all the rubber components all the mounts and everything, that will help preserve them and stop squeaks.

You've got to expect some squeaks due to the construction of the suspension.

#11 Fossy313

Fossy313

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:25 AM

Be generous with the WD40 spray all the rubber components all the mounts and everything, that will help preserve them and stop squeaks.

You've got to expect some squeaks due to the construction of the suspension.

i think your right here, unfortunatly im very much in the frame of mine i hear a noise and think something is going to fall off, but its built to be noisey!....just get a bigger exhaust and turn the music up :).........(i in no way condone doing this.....everything should be investigated) hahaha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users