#1 (philip)

(philip)

previously know as pw-london

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet..

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:38 AM

After 10 years in London me and my better half are packing up and moving to Devon. We move this coming weekend.

For the last couple of years I've been the one sowing the seed about leaving Gotham City, but now I am completely consumed by "What the F*** are we doing!!??" panic.

The thought of a more relaxing life is great, but it does feel a bit like at 41 I'm retiring. All those things that I've hated about London and complained about I am now wondering if I will miss them..

Looking forward to driving the mini from London to Devon on Sunday morning. Also looking forward to the lack of speed bumps down there! Where I live now I am surrounded by them! I think they've buggered my suspension.

I've still got to pack, done some doing the rest on Saturday. Van arrives Sunday morning. I actually have hardly slept for a couple of nights stressed out about it all!

Someone tell me I'm doing the right thing! Although it's too late now if I'm not!

Philip

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:46 AM

You will love it!

#3 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:47 AM

I'm a country boy, I can't even begin to explain how much I love it.

Fresh air, no traffic, windy fun roads, lots of sheep :teehee:

Seriously, Devon is a lovely place. I've been considering moving to Cornwall recently, but can't make a final decision for a while yet. It might happen, might not.

You're doing the right thing!

#4 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:48 AM

Oh...I don't live in Devon by the way. I'm in North Wales. But generally speaking I can't imagine ever wanting to move to a city.

#5 (philip)

(philip)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:53 AM

Living here (in London) was about getting some experience in my career, have a good job and the years rolled by. I am looking forward to never having to get on the tube again. Work will now be a 10 minute drive or 20 minute cycle ride. Heaven.

Our new house.. There's no shop within walking distance, in fact there's no anything within walking distance except for fields and farms! I can't wait to experience not being woken up by sirens, busses and helicopters.

#6 Badboytunes

Badboytunes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts
  • Local Club: MINIS Unleashed

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:18 AM

You will love it.

Hope the move and the drive goes smoothly

#7 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:29 AM

Living here (in London) was about getting some experience in my career, have a good job and the years rolled by. I am looking forward to never having to get on the tube again. Work will now be a 10 minute drive or 20 minute cycle ride. Heaven.

Our new house.. There's no shop within walking distance, in fact there's no anything within walking distance except for fields and farms! I can't wait to experience not being woken up by sirens, busses and helicopters.

You'll love it, completely!

#8 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:11 AM

I recently moved from Bourbemouth to Sandy. Me and the girlfriend aren't really enjoying it greatly the house is great and having a garage is good. But I'm not enjoying my job and unlike Bourbemouth town centre, there is nothing going on here.

I feel like this is a half way step. Id like either rural or city obviously for different reasons but in the middle is not for me. Stuck in suburbia doing a 9-5 job is going to kill me.

I'm sure Devon will be great. Are you going to be far from the coast? We were a 5 minute walk in Bournemouth and loved it.

Good luck with the move and I hope the mini is spot on for the drive.

#9 (philip)

(philip)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:35 AM

Thank you chaps. This weekend is going to be a ball ache but once I'm down there I'm sure I'll be feeling more positive and relaxed about it.

#10 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:59 AM

Don't forget to convert your cars to square wheels.......................

#11 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:56 PM

you will love it, we moved last friday to a new house 3 miles from the town to a village. its peacefull, i can sleep with the windows open without being woke up by people doing 60mph in a 30mph, motorbikes, drunk people etc. plus i have got my own workshop/garage with a pit/electric, a massive field behind our back garden for the dog. i cant ever imagine living in London. i would be glad to be moving to such a nice area as you. you should count yourself lucky!!

#12 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:52 PM

Important note. They drive on RIGHT down there in reverse. And tractors have right of way!
😛

#13 (philip)

(philip)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:33 AM

I've seen more tractors in the last 24 hours than in the previous 40 years!

I'm here, and I love it. Aching and tired but just woke from the best night sleep that I can remember for long time.

Off out to explore in the mini today, anyone in the South West sees us then give us a beep! That's if the mini behaves, it was a bit of a b1tch driving down here (see lumpy thread in technical).

Philip

#14 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:05 PM

I recently moved from Bourbemouth to Sandy. Me and the girlfriend aren't really enjoying it greatly the house is great and having a garage is good. But I'm not enjoying my job and unlike Bourbemouth town centre, there is nothing going on here.

I feel like this is a half way step. Id like either rural or city obviously for different reasons but in the middle is not for me. Stuck in suburbia doing a 9-5 job is going to kill me.

I'm sure Devon will be great. Are you going to be far from the coast? We were a 5 minute walk in Bournemouth and loved it.

Good luck with the move and I hope the mini is spot on for the drive.

I like Sandy. I lived in Langford, near Biggleswade for 7 years.

In fact I'm driving right past Sandy tomorrow on my way to pick up a friend from Heathrow.

There are lots of things to do in and around Sandy. Bedford is near, as are Stevenage & Hitchin. Lots of great restaurants and some super country pubs.

Cambridge is about 20 miles down the A603 with all that has to offer. If you like boats the River Ouse is a couple of miles up the road.

Also it's not far to Mini Spares and Gary, who runs the shop there, also lives in Sandy, so you have Mini-mad neighbours and a free delivery man for urgent parts, if you ask nicely!

#15 danm

danm

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Local Club: Stringfellows

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:35 AM

You'll love the freshness.

But slowly the convenience of a town or city might creep in and bug you how much you will rely on cars to get anywhere; or having to buy and order in a lot of stuff online as there are fewer massive shops around. You're too young to give up on that!

Brave move, one extreme to the other!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users