frosty90

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Bitz

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:27 AM

Hi All,

Now I have read on here a number of people suggest sealing this gap with tiger seal or another sealant. Has anyone just welded this gap up and filled over it to smooth it out and had success?

Thanks

#2 stevearch0

stevearch0

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:47 AM

I've always used a flexible sealer. Filler can crack after a while, and if the car ever needs a wing replaced in later life, it's a much easier job if it's sealed instead. Can scare potential buyers away too, as they may think it's a quick bridge up repair.
Hope this helps. Steve

#3 stevearch0

stevearch0

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:48 AM

Meant bodge up repair, bleeding spell check!!!

#4 frosty90

frosty90

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:58 AM

thanks for the reply, it seems nothing wants to go simple for me! lol

I know the filler can crack, but wouldn't welding the wings up so they are secure stop this in theory?

#5 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:25 AM

Yes it would stop cracking but although done by a few people for a smooth look it may put peeps off if you ever decided to sell up.

I use aviation sealant personally which is a far superior product for sealing the gaps.

#6 frosty90

frosty90

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:52 AM

Thanks guys, I don't plan on selling up any time soon ive had it 6 years and still enjoy it now!

#7 newenglandmini

newenglandmini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:10 PM

Neil, what is the purpose of sealing the body panel gaps?  The factory assembly method is to simply spot-weld the panels without sealer is it not?

#8 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:39 PM

Neil, what is the purpose of sealing the body panel gaps?  The factory assembly method is to simply spot-weld the panels without sealer is it not?

Now depending on how well the paint has been applied to these areas you see a lot of cars with rust leeching through.

On my sons car Project Erm i have seam sealed both sides of any of the flanges where possible to prevent water ingress and of course rust from starting.

#9 stonemonkey

stonemonkey

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Local Club: www.gtmdrivers.com

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:29 PM

when I deseamed the whole shell I welded the gap up and lead loaded it, a good sand down and all that was needed was a very thin skim of bondo to finish. My other minis I have just used a tiny bead of seal to retain the seam and overall look of the classic mini.

#10 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • 13,128 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:34 PM

I think(but could be wrong) that the factory sealed the gaps after '77

#11 frosty90

frosty90

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:22 PM

that's interesting, while mine is off the road and being sorted I just want to stop issues once and for all but id rather not have to fit a complete new front end if I don't have too as the wings aren't that old, but the scuttle isint in great condition on one side :( ive looked into corner repair panels which is all it would need on one side but I don't want to be removing the wing.....

#12 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:17 PM

that's interesting, while mine is off the road and being sorted I just want to stop issues once and for all but id rather not have to fit a complete new front end if I don't have too as the wings aren't that old, but the scuttle isint in great condition on one side :( ive looked into corner repair panels which is all it would need on one side but I don't want to be removing the wing.....

You can do a end repair but it will be fiddly with the wing in place. This is when a Dremel or High speed die grinder with carbide bits come in handy.

#13 jpw1275

jpw1275

Up Into Fourth

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,803 posts
  • Local Club: I'm a carb addict!!!!!!!

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:00 PM

I was thinking the very same as I'm going to be replacing my front end once I've finished the rear.... I've just deseamed the rear and instead of using filler I've welded then just used a small amount of filler for shaping etc..... I think I will weld my gaps up so it's all nice and smooth

Cheers James

#14 frosty90

frosty90

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:05 AM

Thanks for the advice guys :) I just want it back on the road! 2 years without it is killing me now!

#15 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:03 PM

I've brazed the wing to scuttle gap up before for someone who wanted a smooth joint between the two. It's took a couple rods each side but did a lovely job of smoothing the seam. The big plus of brazing rather than welding was that if the wing ever needed replacing you could just melt the braze out of the joint. 

One down side is the heat, although you can control it to avoid distorting anything it will take off paint within 2-3 inches. I found a paint gun with a long nozzle and a bit or wax oil inside the scuttle void  was required after wards. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users