7 replies to this topic

#1 seven

seven

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 11:41 AM

After 10 years of straying from the path my net time is now 90 % mini surfing so i`m going to clean out the garage dust off me flywheel puller, ball joint seperator and spot welder and move out my house into the garage(can`t stand those dam soaps any longer).

My first idea was clean shell new frames 1330 Bini supercharger stripped out trackday special on 10 inch rims.

While looking for a shell/car Im getting drawn to MK1`s and 2`s and resurrect my project from years ago.This is early car MK1 (with seatbelts this time)1330 with classic shorrock supercharger early 70`s 4 synchro box so i can retain the magic wand.

Problems:
where can I find the gearleaver the plate and the 2 linkages to convert a 4 synchro remote box into a magic wand type.(page 137 how to modify your mini are the bits i want to discard)

Is there a 5x10 inch wheel that fits inside the body on S disk setup are there firms that can still/will band a standard wheel of sufficient strength for track day use.

Can you still buy perspex side windows and rear screen for a mk1 if not are there firms that can cut them.

Shorrock superchargers where on earth do i look for these and Gulp! how much are they.

Any ideas,
Steve

#2 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 11:54 AM

Good luck finding the shorrock supercharger. They are getting quite rare and therefore probably expensive. MiniSpeed make a complete supercharger kit at around 2500 pounds, which looks very nice!!

Wheels, yes there are many brands of 5x10" wheels (minilites, GB, revolutions, BRM, Cosmics, dunlop etc.). If you want to retain the original look, take a look at Cooper S rims and Cooper S Reverse rims. These are 4.5" wide, and are steel and look very sexy on a classic-look car. PLEASE do NOT band steel wheels, this is a very dodgy and unsafe practice, and to be honest you could probably pick up a set of wheels from ebay for cheaper than someone would charge to band your wheels!

Almost positive that there are a bunch of places that have perspex/polycarbonate windows that will fit your car, but since i've never had to buy them i can't actually name you any places..

Good luck, sounds like your project will be a great one!

#3 seven

seven

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 12:59 PM

After some research the shorrock idea is out.
For a 1330 engine to give it enough boost you would have to regear the shorrock ie increasing its speed but then the rev limit of the engine will be reduced too much as too much revs means exploding shorrock

#4 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 07:27 PM

At the mini show last sunday there was a Riley elf factory fitted with a shorock supercharger , and i was talking to a guy who had just bought one for £1200 to fit to a mini .

#5 1976 clubamn

1976 clubamn

1 Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Local Club: None yet

Posted 03 July 2004 - 07:40 PM

forgive my ignorance put what is banding of wheels?
i have never heard of this. :D

#6 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 08:45 PM

Banding is when you make the wheel wider by putting the wheel on a lathe and cut the rim off , then you add a band of steel the width you want to widen the wheel by , and then re-weld the rim on . it was common practice for grass track and rally cars 20-30 years ago when there wasnt such a good selection of wheels available .
If the job is done corectly it is perfectly safe .
(DONT TRY THIS AT HOME !)

#7 1976 clubamn

1976 clubamn

1 Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Local Club: None yet

Posted 03 July 2004 - 08:47 PM

thats pretty cool. so basicaly you can go as wide as you want providing you can get boots to fit them.

#8 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 09:58 PM

If you want a shorrock supercharger try this site. I think it was the c75b that was fitted to the mini if i'm not mistaken. british classic sportscars

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users