16 replies to this topic

#1 Lisa Le Grice

Lisa Le Grice

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:56 PM

Hi, just joined the forum as am looking to buy my first mini after wanting one my whole life. Have a young family so a major project is not what I need. Have a healthy budget and have been learning a lot over the past 3-4 months but finding myself to be a very nervous purchaser, Im struggling to trust anyone and focussing only on negatives - so worried about making a big mistake and being ripped off! I have fallen for one mini in particular, it's not perfect but it is a Japanese import, came back to the uk in 2009, can't put my finger on why it being a Japanese one is putting me off, I'm worried about parts, the air con etc but other than that it's a lovely car in incredibly good condition compared to everything else I've seen. Any advice welcome. Thanks

#2 b_sdaddy

b_sdaddy

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:10 PM

Being a Japanese import should actually make you feel LESS worried as it's (Japan) climate is far less damaging to the mini's rust-prone body.

As for parts, go to minispares.com (for example), and then google an equivalent part for lets say, a Ford Fiesta - will give you an idea of how (very) reasonable spare parts are for a mini - and all parts, and I mean ALL parts are still readilly available NEW.

photos or link would be nice..

#3 Lisa Le Grice

Lisa Le Grice

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:20 PM

Thanks, I have to say its the condition that the mini is in that's really drawing me to it.

#4 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:51 PM

Hi Lisa, welcome to the forum. Good luck with the mini purchase, hope you enjoy it :)

#5 Devo

Devo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:55 PM

Hello Lisa welcome to the forum, you got that bang on by the way don't trust anyone selling and knock that price down as much as possible!! As said above by b_sdaddy send a link or some pictures and we can help you out  :thumbsup:

Also when going to view the car make sure you check everything lift up the carpets, check the inner and outer sills, floor panels, boot step panels any sign of rust internally and externally as they can lead to hefty bills. It might be worth bringing someone along with you to check the mechanical work too and test out the electrics.

Is this the mini your looking at by any chance? http://www.ebay.co.u...=item51c11f13de

#6 Lisa Le Grice

Lisa Le Grice

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:11 PM

Hi devo, thanks. No that's not the one - looks nice though! It's a cooper 35th anniversary I'm looking at. Been registered in uk since 2009. I've got a friend who does up vw campers and he's been helping me out/scaring the life out of me regarding rust! Think I've learnt that a completely rust free example doesn't exist unless you've got more than 15k to spend!! I don't have time for a complete do-er-upper but do have time to care for one and I know of a good classic car garage locally that's been highly recommended to me by a few friends. Had second viewing this morning and had the car lifted into the air, underneath its got a little rust but no rot and to be honest is in the best condition of any other I've seen recently. Worst area is along bottom of passenger door, have a feeling it might need a new door at some point. Other than that a few bubbles here and there but again nothing too bad compared to what I've seen. It's at cambridge mini works. Should come up on a google search. Lisa

#7 Devo

Devo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:04 PM

I've just found the car!! http://www.cambridge...e-low-miles-ac/

Even though its a really nice car they're asking a lot of money for it, I mean that's just £5 short of £9,000!! I don't think they'd budge if you tried to knock the price down either. But in all honesty you could by yourself a really nice mini if you keep your eyes on ebay for a while you could get one half the price and pretty much rust free. Make sure you take your time too don't rush into things, you'd be surprised at some of the bargains out there  :mrcool:

Members on the forum sometimes sell their minis too and there's a very nice one going at the moment from james962. The car has undergone a nut and bolt restoration so I'll link it and see what you think http://www.theminifo...0/#entry3108500

#8 Lisa Le Grice

Lisa Le Grice

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:25 PM

I was going to have a go at making an offer ;-). It's the colour scheme I absolutely love - that's the thing. I'm not going to rush though. I know they've had it on for about 6 weeks now. Also going to the stanford hall mini owners club event in a few weeks to have a mooch around and ask lots of questions. To be honest, my budget was originally 6k but have upped it because everything out there seems so expensive. Def want a cooper but not sport pack, and like I said, I've fallen in love with the almond green with matching leather combo - doesn't mean to say I won't fall in love with something else, I'm a bit fickle where these minis are concerned!

#9 Devo

Devo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:43 PM

Gosh wish I had that kind of money to spend on a mini!! I know how it is when you fall in love with a car and cant stop thinking about it  ;-)

But like you've said the colour scheme is very nice, I doubt they'll sell that mini overnight though due to the price so gives you plenty of time to look elsewhere!! Sometimes it depends where you look really, there are a lot of bargains on ebay and sometimes gumtree too (although gumtree can be dodgy) very rarely on autotrader. I mean who knows someone at the Stanford hall mini fair maybe selling a mini for a fair price in good condition  :thumbsup:

You've got me dreaming about your budget now, mine never exceeds £1,500!!

#10 Lisa Le Grice

Lisa Le Grice

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:57 PM

I've wanted a mini since I was 17 and am now 36! When you wait that long your budget grows! Honestly if I find one cheaper I'll be more than happy! Also think you're more involved in the tinkering process, I need to buy something that won't take up "too much" of my time!

#11 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:46 PM

Hi & Welcome to TMF

Don't be mislead by ridiculous asking prices, the market is filled with overpriced cars that will never sell for such sums, so don't fall in the trap of thinking that a car is worth anywhere near £9k, just because someone has put a £9k price tag on it. Your original £6k budget is more than enough for an immaculate late mini, and to be honest so long as you buy privately and avoid "dealer mark up", then you should even be able to pick up a very nice example for nearer half that amount.

#12 Lisa Le Grice

Lisa Le Grice

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:05 PM

Thank you, just seems to me that in the 3/4 months I've been looking they've gone up in price whether private or through dealership, I'm not rushing into anything though - just feels like, as with the house market, I'm in the market at the wrong time!! Thanks though. My daily routine consists of checking, eBay, piston heads and car and classic at least 3 times a day!

#13 BritishRacingGreen

BritishRacingGreen

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:31 PM

Hi and welcome, I'm also in Harpenden, so if you need any help/advice feel free to give me a shout!

#14 Lisa Le Grice

Lisa Le Grice

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:06 PM

Good to know BRG. Will I have seen you driving a mini about, only ever seen a blue one and a Green one about, friend of mine says he sees a lovely white one around roundwood area.

#15 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:46 AM

Thank you, just seems to me that in the 3/4 months I've been looking they've gone up in price whether private or through dealership, I'm not rushing into anything though - just feels like, as with the house market, I'm in the market at the wrong time!! Thanks though. My daily routine consists of checking, eBay, piston heads and car and classic at least 3 times a day!

It's true that the last few months do seem to have seen a bit of an increase, but not really by a huge amount. They're still relatively low by comparison to where they were before the recession. Whilst eBay gives you a reasonable guide to selling prices, that's only really the case if you search through the completed listings to see what cars have actually sold for, as opposed to going by classified/buy it now prices. Pistonheads and Car & Classic will tend to give a very false perception of market values, mainly because they are the very places that enthusiasts tend to advertise their pride and joy with the unrealistic hope of getting back the all the cash that they have sunk into them. This gives other people looking to sell the impression that their cars are also worth similar over inflated amounts and you end up with websites filled with unrealistically priced cars that don't sell.

Local ads/ classifieds, the motor press and eBay/gumtree tend to be better places to look in my experience. There are sensibly priced cars out there, it's just a case of knowing where to look for them and waiting for the right one to come along.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users