4 replies to this topic

#1 Lisa Le Grice

Lisa Le Grice

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:17 PM

Hi, I'm new to this forum and am looking for some advice. I know you guys can't make an actual decision for me but advice will help. I've fallen for a mini that was made for Japanese export, it returned to uk in 2009 and has had 1 owner ever since, it has only done 31,000 miles. It's not immaculate but is in pretty good nic compared to everything else I've seen out there. Apart from the air con, is there really any difference? I've been trying to do some research but finding very little info on the Japanese exports. by the way, its a cooper 35th anniversary, of which 200 we're made for uk but (I believe) a further 1500 we're made for export, that doesn't bother me. I love the cooper 35's exterior and interior colour but it appears that one of the uk ones would be well outside of my price range anyway. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks

#2 exuptoy

exuptoy

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:23 PM

It will certainly be worth a shot purely for the air con if we ever have another summer! I'd look at one if the price was right. Can't help with spec tho sorry. Google it!

#3 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:49 PM

I have the same model Japanese import too.
The differences between the UK and Japanese one I have are 1) Aircon 2) seat belt warning light 3) MPI type block but SPi injection unit. 4) chassis plate on boot floor 5 ) no immobiliser 6) no rust :lol:

The underbonnet area is completely filled! Even trickier than normal to work on.

FS

#4 Lisa Le Grice

Lisa Le Grice

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:58 PM

Thanks, That's good to hear, it does look tight under the bonnet, have to say the lack of rust is a massive luxury! I took it out for a drive this morning and enjoyed every second! What a buzz! Did you have any hesitations when buying yours at all FS?

#5 firstforward

firstforward

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:38 PM

I have the same but a 96 SPi not MPi. I would always buy a Jap Import as there is pretty much NO RUST. If you do buy it get it thoroughly Wax Oiled everywhere including box sections etc and it will last you a long time including winter driving.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users