JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • Local Club: Exmoor Minis

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:25 PM

Hi;

I replaced the rear of the boot floor a while ago and I have now finished all of the other welding. The last piece to fit before I start painting is the Fuel Tank Strap Bracket the problem is I cannot work out where it fits?

I did a test fit of the Fuel Tank (and scratched it in the process ggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrr) but it just threw up more problems.

The Seam that runs around the Fuel Tank, is it supposed to fit behind the piece of metal that the Boot Securing Strap bolts to? I can't seem to get the tank behind it? I have tried bending the bracket out of the way but when I did the Filler Neck wouldn't fit in properly so on mine I guess the Fuel Tank Seam sits on the outside which means that I have top fit the Boot Door Strap Bolt before I fit the tank.

When the tank is in, where the Fuel Tank Strap Bracket needs to go it touches the tank so I'll probably have to trim it down a bit.

There is a hole in the bottom rear of the seam that runs around the Fuel Tank, I thought the Bolt that holds the Fuel Tank Strap went through this hole but I now know that it does not.   

Any pictures to show where the Fuel Tank Strap Bracket fits in the Boot Floor would help?

Thanks

Edited by JonnyAlpha, 30 August 2014 - 03:18 PM.

#2 RedRuby

RedRuby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:30 PM

The tank fits in front of the bracket that the strap bolts to near the light cluster and the hole in the tank plays no part in its fitting and securing. As for the strap it should not need trimming down, unfortunately I do not have any pictures but will have a look round.

Edited by RedRuby, 30 August 2014 - 03:39 PM.

#3 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:16 PM

The tank fits in front of the bracket that the strap bolts to near the light cluster and the hole in the tank plays no part in its fitting and securing. As for the strap it should not need trimming down, unfortunately I do not have any pictures but will have a look round.

When you say "The tank fits in front of the bracket that the strap bolts to near the light cluster" Do you mean that the seam of the tank is to the right of the bracket when looking from the rear, e.g.between the boot lid bracket and the boot centre.

I wont be trimming down the strap, its the mounting bracket the inner edge is very close to the bottom of the fuel tank and when I do the strap up the tank will end up sitting on it? 

#4 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:14 PM

Here you go

IMG_1999_zpsd9dad6e6.jpg

#5 RedRuby

RedRuby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:16 PM

Yes, seam to the right of the bracket.

#6 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:23 PM

Here you go

IMG_1999_zpsd9dad6e6.jpg

Thanks Neil - just the ticket, did you just take that from your 'Will's Mini Special' project? I recognise the colour :-)

I reckon with the test fit I have done that's about where I have just marked it, had to knock the Boot Hinge Lip Forward a bit as the bracket on the strap was touching it.

#7 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:24 PM

Yes, seam to the right of the bracket.

Thanks, it would look so much better if the seam was on the inside out of the way, ho hum that's BMC for you :-)

#8 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:49 PM

Here you go

IMG_1999_zpsd9dad6e6.jpg

Thanks Neil - just the ticket, did you just take that from your 'Will's Mini Special' project? I recognise the colour :-)

I reckon with the test fit I have done that's about where I have just marked it, had to knock the Boot Hinge Lip Forward a bit as the bracket on the strap was touching it.

Yep correct it Wills mini special. :D

#9 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:08 PM

Looking through some old pics of my Mini I found this one :-)

IMAG1206_zpsf45810b2.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users