Photo
- - - - -

Stupid Things You Have Done To Your Mini: Which Could Serve As A Warning For Others

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts
  • Name: Craig

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:13 PM

Not the catchiest title. I have had my fair share of times where I haven't really thought things through.

I thought I would start a thread, so not only the perpetrator but everyone can benefit from our little moments of stupidity.

Don't be shy, no one is judging (we are really)

So here we go.......

Yesterday I bout a bumbler pack of silica gel bags. The bags are about 1 kg each. I popped one in the mini yesterday, was really thinking about where to put it. Stupidly I placed it on my beautiful leather passenger seat. I just gave the car a polish and wax and went to give the inside a quick wipe. I moved the bag which was now semi solid, only to see that it had dried / chemically burned the leather seat. Around 5 50p size patches, hard and wrinkly, I cleaned it, worked in some leather conditioner and it is helping, I have left it to soak in and will try again later.

What a muppet!

#2 AlexMozza

AlexMozza

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
  • Local Club: Not Yet

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:29 PM

Looked for rust..... 5 years ago!  :D

#3 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:33 PM

Not done this myself but know people that have.

Do not throw away old removed panels until you have either finished ALL of your welding or have all of the new panels for comparison,

I have known a few get caught out by that with different pressings or clips/fixings that can't be replaced.

#4 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:59 PM

Not done this myself but know people that have.

Do not throw away old removed panels until you have either finished ALL of your welding or have all of the new panels for comparison,

I have known a few get caught out by that with different pressings or clips/fixings that can't be replaced.

Not done this myself... But we get caught out at work when we cut the rot out then find the repair section is too small

Cue lots of bad language!!

#5 lsto

lsto

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:04 PM

Removed my rear valence, cut out the rot in the boot floor, then welded on the valence before replacing the floor :-[

Made life hard...

#6 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:08 PM

Checked whether something I had welded was still hot using a finger, it was.

#7 HarrysMini

HarrysMini

I do not have short legs!!!

• Members
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:10 PM

Not guilty 

#8 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:24 PM

Not guilty 

+1 or knelt on the hot welding torch :whistling:

Make sure you do your wheel nuts up to the correct torque, the previous owner of my ritz didn't and resulted in a wheel coming off at 60mph.

#9 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:26 PM

Not guilty
+1 or knelt on the hot welding torch :whistling:

I have burned myself with a torch a couple of times. I tend to stick it through the handle when I finish, if I am too quick sorting stuff put it is still hot when I move the welder. Not good.

#10 jpw1275

jpw1275

Up Into Fourth

• Noobies
  • 2,803 posts
  • Local Club: I'm a carb addict!!!!!!!

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:30 PM

Don't weld with your head on the tilt to allow a blob of weld go in your ear....... I'm not guilty of that one honestly !!!

#11 1330RG

1330RG

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:35 PM

Here's a lesson for all new to modding lol.
Built a rather torquey 1330 for my 1st mini when i was 18, id gone full on with power being my main aim. Had spax adjustables so suspension was sporty enough BUT may have seen the brakes as a waste of money that would of been better spent on power :D

Found out at 40mph when a hairy moment with an overtaking oncoming car that looked too close for comfort and my brakes failed that maybe brakes should be first on anyones list. I thankfully avoided an accident due to my teachings from my father and driving instructor with careful use of the hand brake in small and smooth amounts to reduce my speed.

Brakes before power! Always!

Edited by 1330RG, 01 September 2014 - 07:36 PM.

#12 Broomer

Broomer

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:35 PM

Don't weld with your head on the tilt to allow a blob of weld go in your ear....... I'm not guilty of that one honestly !!!

Don't weld your door step sat with your lower half under the car, a blob of weld went through my overalls, trousers and boxers then landed on my ball bag.

Never moved so quick in my life.

#13 1330RG

1330RG

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:37 PM

^^
Lmao. Note taken.

#14 jpw1275

jpw1275

Up Into Fourth

• Noobies
  • 2,803 posts
  • Local Club: I'm a carb addict!!!!!!!

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:40 PM

Don't weld your door step sat with your lower half under the car, a blob of weld went through my overalls, trousers and boxers then landed on my ball bag.

I'm actually crying with laughing..... I'm sorry....lmao

#15 stocky

stocky

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:49 PM

That made me laugh!

Iv not torched my ball bag, but I did get a blob of weld land on my chest while welding a sill and it burnt a 2p sized hole into my hoodie and into my brand new t shirt! My GF was not impressed...

Also when fitting an engine back into a car, remember to attach the gear selector rod (top one, with the bolt) before fitting the exhaust manifold, I did not do this first then swear a lot as I had to re do it all as I couldn't get the bolt in!

Another one, Don't be lazy and not take out the plastic vent that goes through the flitch and try to weld around it. apparently they catch fire so I've heard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users